Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

PhoneticHalo_sl

shitlord
And whats funny is Brad gets shit on for Vanguard, yeah he fucked it up, rushed it, over promised....whatever. But this dude gets a slide for absolutely nothing in the past 20 yrs. Same thing with that Mark Jacobs dude. I remember back when Warhammer took a shit this guy was like the reincarnate of satan himself. And now all of a sudden he is reprieved of his past and people flocking to him like hes the next savior of the genre. All these fucks have fork tongues.
VG out lived Warhammer by how many years?

JarekStorm_sl

shitlord
Cross KS reward is smart. Look, it's UO and EQ. It's like getting a t shirt from both Nirvana's Nevermind and Metallica Black Album tours. Those games were the heavyweights of the early MMO era.

It makes sense there would be some player interest crossover. I played UO for nearly 2 full years myself before switching to EQ in late '99.

It's a cool idea, and cool of the Garriot team to go for it too.

spronk

FPS noob
because just like there are people here who will forgive brad and give him $350 for "reasons", there are plenty - and obviously many, many more - who will forgive jacobs, garriott, etc and also give them money.

that said the american system has always been to not harshly punish failure but help them pick themselves up, dust themselves off, and encourage them to try again. its very, very different from the european and asian mindset, although in the past 10 years it feels like america is becoming more critical of failure, risk, etc.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
It's amazing that people would give Garriot, A dude that has never created a half decent modern mmo (UO could be fun for many im sure, but there's a reason everyone copied EQ and not UO) fucktons of money.
Maybe because he turned a group of college bar-flies into a multi-million dollar company. Maybe because he's actually done budgets, ran teams, led successful companies without investors. Maybe because he was the prot?g? of teenagers like Chris Roberts. Maybe because he created the original MMO that spawned a trillion dollar industry. Maybe even because he went into space.

I dunno, just a couple of guesses. And honestly your post is the most fucking retarded thing I've read in this thread. And that's really an accomplishment. Congrats.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Cross KS reward is smart. Look, it's UO and EQ. It's like getting a t shirt from both Nirvana's Nevermind and Metallica Black Album tours. Those games were the heavyweights of the early MMO era.

It makes sense there would be some player interest crossover. I played UO for nearly 2 full years myself before switching to EQ in late '99.

It's a cool idea, and cool of the Garriot team to go for it too.
Pretty much this. Is it going to make the KS go into stretch goal 3 land? No. But seeing this as anything but a good and positive move by Brad and Co is again into stupid hater land.

There's no way to logically spin this as a negative.

I've been bitched at on the KS forums for being too negative (anything but out of touch fan posts are on there ), been critical here myself , but this is another + in a row for Brad's KS efforts this week. I'm genuinely surprised by the Garriott team up as didn't see that coming.

He might actually have a few more surprises and make this thing happen.

(Still highly skeptical , but it's move from no chance to small chance at least)

Mughal

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Being rich is not useful in itself on KS. Even if you have the money for the project doesn't mean that you have fans, customers and feedback that maybe the art style needs adjustment etc etc

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
For those who might by interested Trendane did voice over of the Ogres race for me. (brad should ask him to do the rest)
http://trendane.furryhost.com/4Pantheon/Ogres.mp3
Trendane has a fairly decent voice.

Having said that, many years ago while taking Freshman composition, my professor told us "Read your paper out loud, if it sounds weird/bad, its because it is." Listening to the Lore passage read by someone sounded so.. awkward.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Maybe because he turned a group of college bar-flies into a multi-million dollar company. Maybe because he's actually done budgets, ran teams, led successful companies without investors. Maybe because he was the prot?g? of teenagers like Chris Roberts. Maybe because he created the original MMO that spawned a trillion dollar industry. Maybe even because he went into space.

I dunno, just a couple of guesses. And honestly your post is the most fucking retarded thing I've read in this thread. And that's really an accomplishment. Congrats.
rrr_img_58641.jpg

No one's questioning his accomplishments back the day. We just feel Garriot has failed to make any successful modern game in the past decade and a half. Thats more important to me then bootstrapping a series/brand 30 years ago. I am sure he can run a business and code shit but that has not brought him any success recently.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
What I'm confused about is the P99 deal. I understand it's the target audience for Brad to go after, but what does P99 and Rogain have to get out of it?
A new game to play, at the very least? The team obviously really loves that style of game, or they wouldn't emulate it. Now, I'm sure they're looking into a way to have their own server to make money off it or something, but deep down, I think even someone making money off of someone else's original idea gets excited when that original idea is being reborn.

Merlin_sl

shitlord
No one's questioning his accomplishments back the day. We just feelGarriot has failed to make any successful modern game in the past decade and a half.Thats more important to me then bootstrapping a series/brand 30 years ago. I am sure he can run a business and code shit but that has not brought him any success recently.
Did you read his kickstarter page?
Lord British returns to his fantasy RPG roots with Shroud of the Avatar, hearkening back to his innovative early work.
He's not making a modern game. Just like Brad, he's going back to doing what he does best.

Graye_sl

shitlord
And whats funny is Brad gets shit on for Vanguard, yeah he fucked it up, rushed it, over promised....whatever. But this dude gets a slide for absolutely nothing in the past 20 yrs. Same thing with that Mark Jacobs dude. I remember back when Warhammer took a shit this guy was like the reincarnate of satan himself. And now all of a sudden he is reprieved of his past and people flocking to him like hes the next savior of the genre. All these fucks have fork tongues.
Because people had/have a deeper bond with Brad's games than other games.

15 years passed. I've left EQ. Vanguard shuts down in 5 months.

I've not deleted all my toons nor gave away their amassed hoards.

I may not play them often. They are a part of me. I met my fianc?e there.
I have met several people through EQ and VG that I've met outside the game and have become good friends.

I can't say that about my time in WoW, Warhammer, RIFT, etc...

K13R

VG out lived Warhammer by how many years?
Warhammer was 5 V.G is 6 almost 7.. one cost an license fee other did not one was by publisher that well shut your shit down the other well let it ride to bitter end..

MJ Has EA To blame..
Brad has himself

Personal opinion Warhammer was a better game

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Warhammer was 5 V.G is 6 almost 7.. one cost an license fee other did not one was by publisher that well shut your shit down the other well let it ride to bitter end..

MJ Has EA To blame..
Brad has himself
Wha? Didnt microsoft pull its funding from VG? I mean not saying it was entirely microsoft fault, but same thing can be said for Jacobs. the fucking game was a mess post lv 30. Unbalanced mess with unfinished content. and the entire RvR keep battles were terrible in warhammer.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Did you read his kickstarter page?

He's not making a modern game. Just like Brad, he's going back to doing what he does best.
I think that's great, If he want's to do a remake of UO more power to him. Although I question how possible that is given how much technology and games have changed since the UO/Ultima days. My point was simply that people have been saying many won't trust Brad because of VG. Yet I rarely hear the same about Garriot despite his record since UO

K13R

Don't know what your laughing at two different games really as I'm a PvP person first raids bore me too tears such boring ass game play I never found the appeal..

Now tell me you need me to heal a 6 man cause it zerg busting I'm in.

K13R

Wha? Didnt microsoft pull its funding from VG? I mean not saying it was entirely microsoft fault, but same thing can be said for Jacobs. the fucking game was a mess post lv 30. Unbalanced mess with unfinished content. and the entire RvR keep battles were terrible in warhammer.
What was mircosoft fault pulling funding for project that wasted 30 mill and basically going to cut there losses cause the dude in charge was on life's and had piss poor manament