Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
What was mircosoft fault pulling funding for project that wasted 30 mill and basically going to cut there losses cause the dude in charge was on life's and had puss poor manament
You can say the same shit about EA shipping Warhammer early too. Except Warhammer had probably like double or triple the funding VG had and they wasted it too.

K13R

Bronze Knight of the Realm
What's your favorite pvp game/server/situation?
Depends
Dc then folded to ir/Warhammer/open rvr zerg busting..was great fun

Bloodfin/swg/ bh v Jedi wars were great

Zerging it up ps2 beta was great also..

Ass jamming abs in daoc never got old.

I would say /sc. /warfronts /arena are the most boring playing in a static unless you get another good pre made to go against farming even numbered pugs is boring like raiding

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
What's your favorite pvp game/server/situation?
My all time favorite was shadowbane. Yeah the game client was crap, but when all the moons came together in an eclipse, there was some magic PvP going on in that game. Small scale, large scale... I played it twice. Once in the beginning when it was a total mess, but then I tried it years later, actually like a year before it finally shut down and it was much better, client/server wise. The second time it was basically rivalries between countries. You had your Japanese nations, Chinese, and everyone else. Good times.

My second favorite was WoW, but when the BGs finally hit. Man it was such a new thing. The AB and AV especially I loved. 2 sides equally matched in numbers with clear and defined goals for winning. This was of course before all the shitty nerfs and normalizations that happened in WoW since.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Warhammer was 5 V.G is 6 almost 7.. one cost an license fee other did not one was by publisher that well shut your shit down the other well let it ride to bitter end..

MJ Has EA To blame..
Brad has himself

Personal opinion Warhammer was a better game
Part of me wonders what would have happened if MJ had created Imperator and not been bought out by that destroyer of game companies, EA....Every time I want to curse at MJ for Warhammer, I just watch a Barnett video and realize greater powers than MJ fucked that game up.

Third party licenses generally ruin games. Mythic/EA should have just did what Blizzard did. I'd say 95% of Warcraft is lifted almost verbatim from Warhammer.

Anyways, MJ was not in control with the EA overlords. Brad completely ran the shop at Sigil, correct? If half the rumors of the fake tech demos are true, then I'm not sure how anyone can compare the two.

Best PVP game by far was UO. However, it was also excruciating at times with the reputation system, exploits, and bugs. Most challenging and fair PVP game would be DAOC. It's design remains the best, in my humble opinion for people who like both PVE and PVP...

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think that's great, If he want's to do a remake of UO more power to him. Although I question how possible that is given how much technology and games have changed since the UO/Ultima days. My point was simply that people have been saying many won't trust Brad because of VG. Yet I rarely hear the same about Garriot despite his record since UO
You can say the exact same thing about this project, can Brad make a game that's like EQ with technology from today. It's also not a 1 to 1 comparison, I've always thought of Garriott as a dev and a businessman (didn't he practically run Origin?), who has a long history of popular games. Whereas Brad is just a dev who is know for only one game that was popular. Then in terms of appeal, I'd venture to guess that the Ultima crowd (both the single player and UO) probably dwarf the hardcore EQ crowd, more people would be interested in a game made by 'Lord British'.

Crux_sl

shitlord
The frustrating thing , well one of the many , is there's no way to tally the numbers of folks who have checked out the KS in earlier form , and walked immediately away after looking at the status of it. If the had started out more like this ,at least slightly more organized , they wouldn't be in money bags land , but I bet a bit closer to 400k and not having to dig out of the hole they made for themselves at launch of the KS.
Anyone who is mildly interested in this game, and a potential backer, is not going to look at the kickstarter just once and walk away.

K13R

Part of me wonders what would have happened if MJ had created Imperator and not been bought out by that destroyer of game companies, EA....Every time I want to curse at MJ for Warhammer, I just watch a Barnett video and realize greater powers than MJ fucked that game up.

Third party licenses generally ruin games. Mythic/EA should have just did what Blizzard did. I'd say 95% of Warcraft is lifted almost verbatim from Warhammer.

Anyways, MJ was not in control with the EA overlords. Brad completely ran the shop at Sigil, correct? If half the rumors of the fake tech demos are true, then I'm not sure how anyone can compare the two.

Best PVP game by far was UO. However, it was also excruciating at times with the reputation system, exploits, and bugs. Most challenging and fair PVP game would be DAOC. It's design remains the best, in my humble opinion for people who like both PVE and PVP...
Basically he had an out build in saying I made the game E.A. paid for with warhammer. I'm not saying he is right I am saying its believable cause people hate E.A. and the corp overlords is convenient excuse.

Zefah

<Gold Donor>
Warhammer was 5 V.G is 6 almost 7.. one cost an license fee other did not one was by publisher that well shut your shit down the other well let it ride to bitter end..

MJ Has EA To blame..
Brad has himself

Personal opinion Warhammer was a better game
I typically never engage in PvP, but found Warhammer to be a lot of fun in the early tiers. Of course, I was playing along with two real life friends, so just about any game can be fun in that context. Right around tier 3 (or 4?) when crowd control abilities got out of control is when the battlegrounds became extremely annoying. I never did a ton of the open world stuff, but remember it being pretty pointless.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
You can say the exact same thing about this project, can Brad make a game that's like EQ with technology from today. It's also not a 1 to 1 comparison, I've always thought of Garriott as a dev and a businessman (didn't he practically run Origin?), who has a long history of popular games. Whereas Brad is just a dev who is know for only one game that was popular. Then in terms of appeal, I'd venture to guess that the Ultima crowd (both the single player and UO) probably dwarf the hardcore EQ crowd, more people would be interested in a game made by 'Lord British'.
I just feel Brad has a better shot because EQ is much more like current mmo's. Since current mmo's are essential off-shoots of EQ the core gameplay/mechanics is not so different then EQ in many ways.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
The interesting thing is before they bought Mythic and fucked them up, they had bought Origin Systems and screwed them up, likewise. They currently are destroying another of my favorites, Bioware. I tend to give people bought out by EA the benefit of the doubt.

Vandyn, the Ultima crowd are mostly older people like me. The EQ crowd seems to include a combination of tabletop people and Xbox kiddies. I'd guess with the lateral line from WOW, the EQ crowd is probably bigger. I'd argue EQ had a bigger impact as it was pretty much the catalyst for WOW and most modern MMOs.

K13R

I typically never engage in PvP, but found Warhammer to be a lot of fun in the early tiers. Of course, I was playing along with two real life friends, so just about any game can be fun in that context. Right around tier 3 (or 4?) when crowd control abilities got out of control is when the battlegrounds became extremely annoying. I never did a ton of the open world stuff, but remember it being pretty pointless.
Yeah release open rvr was pointless, CC was out of hand until they put immunity in. lots of people bailed dont blame them either pretty much patch 1.2 was the db.Its certainly had rough spots even before they shut it down with rr gear. Non the less I still had lot fun in it but I guess like you said I played with static 6 couldnt image pugin that game

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I just feel Brad has a better shot because EQ is much more like current mmo's. Since current mmo's are essential off-shoots of EQ the core gameplay/mechanics is not so different then EQ in many ways.
He's not marketing it like that though.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
/chuckle. Rogain is a good dude, but still cracks me up. I joined ROI for the progression server and we used to stomp his guilds brain in to every single raid target and he would /rage every single time.
Wasn't Rogean *IN* RoI on the progression server? What are you talking about?

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
My second favorite was WoW, but when the BGs finally hit. Man it was such a new thing. The AB and AV especially I loved. 2 sides equally matched in numbers with clear and defined goals for winning. This was of course before all the shitty nerfs and normalizations that happened in WoW since.
I loved the BG's at first also. However they lost their magic awful fast. Aside from the initial WoW arena (is queue still around?) I feel like since then MMRPG PvP has been stuck in a rut. Then again the whole industry has been stuck in a rut since 07 or so.

bayr_sl

shitlord
I loved the BG's at first also. However they lost their magic awful fast. Aside from the initial WoW arena (is queue still around?) I feel like since then MMRPG PvP has been stuck in a rut. Then again the whole industry has been stuck in a rut since 07 or so.
Back then servers mattered, too. People talked shit all the time over WSG and AV on the server forums.

Wystler_sl

shitlord
On the plus side if this gets funded and releases there'll be additional interest. Pretty much everyone I tried to sway personally didnt go into the KS but said they'll buy it if comes out. I bet everyone has some friends that just refuse Kickstarter on principles but would be interested in the actual game.
This is where my group of friends are at mostly. Out of a couple dozen guildies and real life friends I've gamed with over the last few decades, most of them backed in the low end tiers as a "fuck it, why not" pledge only. They've since then promptly forgotten about the game. One other person is keeping tabs on it other than myself. Only a couple had kickstarter accounts to begin with and a couple said kickstarter was a con and would take a look if it ever came out. Nobody really had an issue with Brad personally. Overall, skepticism and apathy due mostly to kickstarter.

Almost every single one of these people could have kicked into the $500+ range without batting an eye based on economic situations but just aren't into the KS thing or having a wait and see attitude. These are gamers that without fail order CE's and rebuy consoles with specific editions (and then never play or maybe even unbox the things). Have hundreds of games on steam that they'll never load. DINKs and professional grown children (and to be fair to them, I'm a complete man-child as well so I'm not taking a shot at them or anyone else similar). For context, most of these folks are apathetic with how SWToR came out (and followed it AND bought CE's). They don't have high expectations any more. The overwhelming response was, "what did you expect?". They're used to being disappointed.

Something about this project just missed the mark for this group (assuming the KS presentation as has been beaten to death and a lack of anything concrete to show them due to the stage of progress it's at). I had to point out that I looked at backing like going easy at a Vegas table for a few hours. That's what got them to actually pay in, they realized it was not really much of anything to throw a bit of cash at it and hope for the best (which is what they've been doing over and over again to get us shit for games for a over a decade now). These are all the same people that piss and moan about the "olde days" and how great EQ and those first days of WoW were so theyshouldbe interested in at least the sales pitch.

Just seems like an overall weird disconnect to me.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I also think EA gets unfair blame many times. Sure, they do have a track record of failure but MJ did a bad job of Warhammer. Some good ideas but he wanted a WoW killer just like EA. The usual belief is that appealing to everyone is what can beat WoW. Bioware had never attempted this type of game and tried to make a similar game to WoW with their super, duper amazing storytelling thrown in. Instant hit, just add water. You don't beat WoW by being another WoW but a bit different. EA and the developers wanted a WoW killer. They should have wanted a unique experience WoW didn't offer.