Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Zaven_sl

shitlord
That seems to be the consensus -- don't do a dungeon finding system.... Unless we do it JUST for the first few tutorial levels. Helping new players find friends right away would probably be good, but as soon as they reach the level where the tutorial and hand holding ends, bye bye dungeon finder and other similar functionality. The more I think about this solution, the more I like it.
Honestly, i feel like it may be good not to be able to get to your friends right out the gate, make some new ones. Not sure how much the design would cost for dungeon finder, but to me, just to give it to players for the first few levels isn't worth it.

PhoneticHalo_sl

shitlord
That seems to be the consensus -- don't do a dungeon finding system.... Unless we do it JUST for the first few tutorial levels. Helping new players find friends right away would probably be good, but as soon as they reach the level where the tutorial and hand holding ends, bye bye dungeon finder and other similar functionality. The more I think about this solution, the more I like it.
I think scaling mechanic if the perfect way to make a game. I loved the idea of this with death penalty when it was made on the EQN reddit:Why do we only need 1 type of death penalty : EQNext

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
The people that quit EQ early? I'm not concerned with them - and neither should Brad.
This is a debatable point though, not everyone is as much as a masochist as you are Dumar. I wish I could find the quote but Blizzard had numbers supporting that more than 70% of the players that played never made it past level 10. Those first few levels are where you needed the biggest help getting people hooked.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
I would argue the opposite. The harshness of the newbie experience is what led to attachment, to the beginnings of making EverQuest what it was.
Dumar, you make it far easier for me to not keep up with this thread, because you keep fighting the arguments for me.

I wholeheartedly agree that the game should be challenging from day 1 hour 1 level 1. EASY GAMES ARE BORING.

I originally started up on Project 1999 just for the nostalgia, but I stayed because it was challenging right off the bat. I was pulling kobolds to the zone wall in the dark forest to avoid adds, to not get lost, and to not allow it to flee deeper into the zone-- AT LEVEL 1.

My recommendation is to display intelligent newbie tips on the screen if newbies keep dying to stupid shit like attacking level 2 fire beetles as a level 1. In the case of a level 1 dying to a level 2 beetle, display a tip that tells them how the con system works. A lot of casual players are turned off by a difficult game, which is why they are all made easy nowadays, but if they are shown the path to success instead of dumbing down the game, I think you'll hook them when they start to feel good about winning a hard game.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Good to hear you are leaning heavily towards going the no porting to dungeons bit. Still giving certain classes abilities to port to general areas of the world is a good thing for class want/interdependence , just never to the actual dungeons and still making you travel even from these areas.

Remember the entire idea of making the game is with the idea of a "niche" audience who prefers the world feeling and more old school ideas.

When you go down the road of convenience that eliminates taking part in the world be it travel or whatever ,it's going down the very road that ended up getting the safe and quick instanced/lobby games we have now.

There are plenty of those out there already.

(also I'm neutral on early level porting/travel assistance. While I'd just as soon not have it , if you made it a "this is to help you young adventurer , soon you will be left to your own devices" type thing I could deal with it.)

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Could see 300k by tonight
Only when a_skeleton_03 pledges his 10 grand again.

I'm interested to see if he re-pledges now that all of his complaints have been subsided. If I were a betting man I would place money on him just being a drama whore the whole time and never having any real intention to pledge that.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Only when a_skeleton_03 pledges his 10 grand again.

I'm interested to see if he re-pledges now that all of his complaints have been subsided. If I were a betting man I would place money on him just being a drama whore the whole time and never having any real intention to pledge that.
Hes not gonna pledge shit. That was nothing but a troll pledge form the beginning.

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Dungeon finder for the tutorial would be great. Maybe even make the tutorial it's own server once the game has been out to get more people into it and allow a server selection at the end of it.

Wystler_sl

shitlord
Perhaps we integrate extremely-pro-grouping mechanics like teleporting in the initial tutorial levels only?
Aside from my personal opinion on these mechanics, I think this may be a bad idea because people tend to get stupid when simple things are made more difficult when they were easier to begin with. Even with clear explanations that make a lot of sense. If you provide easy porting about and hand-holding grouping right off the bat and then take it away, even with a good lore reason; they're going to want it later. Just because.

Forum Poster1: "WHY CAN'T WE HAVE SUPERDUPER PORTING AND LFG-LIKE THING LIKE AT LEVEL 2 ALL THE TIME!?"

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Dungeon finder for the tutorial would be great. Maybe even make the tutorial it's own server once the game has been out to get more people into it and allow a server selection at the end of it.
Don't be silly. Two seconds after logging on, you should be killed by a guard and start with a -2 level penalty. That's how real men do it.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I agree. If you design the world correctly, as in a noob dungeon in the vicinity of the starting area, like Blackburrow for instance, you don't need a dungeon finder, because you will find it yourself.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
I agree. If you design the world correctly, as in a noob dungeon in the vicinity of the starting area, like Blackburrow for instance. You don't need a dungeon finder, because you will find it yourself.
Unless you make the first dungeon it ports you to is in the middle of mid - high level zones, and when you finish you come out and have to find your way back to the city.

I'd be up for that
smile.png

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Unless you make the first dungeon it ports you to is in the middle of mid - high level zones, and when you finish you come out and have to find your way back to the city.

I'd be up for that
smile.png
You guys really don't want them to have any players beyond the 2000 or so who are backing the kickstarter do you?

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Was a joke , but along those lines at some point you put in enough convenience factors then fuck it, it's not the old school niche game I want, and no point in backing or playing it. Might as well play a high budget current mmo then. So erring on the side of old school and pissing off those without the patience for forced travel is my overall preference for this game.

I've got EQL and EQN for Troll Ninja Paladin port to all over the world for the other extreme and will play it some too.

Most medium ground , "safe" games , are meh all around.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hey guys, there's a design idea and issue that we're debating, and we'd really like your feedback.

Ok, so Pantheon is about a huge, interesting open world to explore. We don't want people teleporting all over the place, missing out on content and the grandeur of Terminus.

So far we've said that there will be some opportunities to teleport to some locations as long as you've travelled there before without teleporting. Kind of like the Velious teleports.

We've also said that if you're at the entrance to a dungeon, a group within that dungeon can teleport you to them (likely a spell shared by some classes).

But from a design and philosophical standpoint, huge open world to explore and teleports/quick travel seem mutually exclusive to many who are interested in Pantheon.

So what about an elaborate LFG system? A dungeon finder? Someway to quickly travel to adventure areas where other people have already gathered and are trying to form groups?

it's anti-exploration, but it's pro-grouping. And exploration and grouping are both two major components of what makes Pantheon the game we're so excited to be working on.

So how can we strike a balance here? How do we offer game mechanics that are focused on people finding groups, making friends, eventually guilds, etc., but not shrink the world by allowing people to port all over the place? Where do we draw a line in the sand? Is finding groups and making friends more important or less important than a vast open world to explore, where taking the time to travel to an exotic and distant location gives you a great sense of accomplishment?

Pantheon already has a strong Vision(TM) behind it. We are wrapping up the high level design documents. The team is ideologically on the same page and agree with our goals and tenets. With probably one exception, the one I'm bringing up here. We go back and forth on it. Heck, I can argue either side just as convincingly.

So what do you guys think? Where is the balance? What tenet takes priority over the other?

When I said the community would be more involved with Pantheon than any of the other games we've worked on, I meant it. I love doing interviews and chats and videos. I really enjoy answering future players' questions. But this issue is turning out to be a tough one and we could really use your help and feedback.

Thanks in advance!
You are fighting with competing Visions(TM).

IMHO.... ok, not so humble but whatever.... a LFG system should help you find a group but not help you get to the dungeon.

My personal experience as a Shadowknight (the coolest class ever fucking invented btw... with Monks / Enchanters fighting for sloppy seconds) in early EQ was the hassle of getting a group. Shadowknights had xp group penalties and the like, which made getting a group almost impossible for SK's back then.BUT I WAS FINE WITH THAT.

SK's were rare because they were a pain in the ass and the twitch crowd avoided them. But a good SK, because of his agro skills (if he knew how to use them) were highly valued. So it took a while to develop a decent reputation on the server as a good tank, but once you did the groups didn't care about the xp penalty because they knew the person behind the toon would more than make up for it.

That is what is missing in modern MMO's.WoW fucked us with pablum and easy to play everything. Now everyone copies them and anyone that is capable of skill does something else with their lives. Old EQ could have been better with a LFG system that made it easier to find groups, butthe instant travel system is bullshitand should be avoided at all costs.

If the dungeon is worth fighting in, then it is worth fighting to get to.

Fubarbox_sl

shitlord
I dont know about this. This may sound like a good solution, but if you do this for lower levels, its going to confuse people. Plus people are going to be more likely to aggressively suggest that this needs to be added to the whole game and I have never seen an MMO hold out and not dumb down. I have seen the same thing happen with hearts in GW2. People were so used to hand holding hearts telling them where to go that when they started entering zones with almost none, they got bored and complained. I am fine with hand holding newbies, but hand hold by helping them understand the mechanics that are actually a core part of the game. If you want a LFG system, set it up so you can see who is flagged LFG or what party needs more (plus a chat channel for this) and make the player shoot off a tell....social interaction is the key. Also if your friends are somewhere else....they can make the run from Qeynos to freeport just like I did at level 2 with every Qeynos I character I ever made....its the adventure that matters

My first time playing Eq1 I made a Human ranger and logged into the zone in pitch black dark. I took a few steps, fell into the water and died. I then logged out and said screw this game lol....Shortly after my now wife got me to log back in and here friends took me on my first adventure from Qeynos to FP....I will never forget that and it was amazing....Thats the type of world that is needed.

vazdeline_sl

shitlord
You are fighting with competing Visions(TM).

IMHO.... ok, not so humble but whatever.... a LFG system should help you find a group but not help you get to the dungeon.

My personal experience as an Shadowknight (the coolest class ever fucking invented btw... with Monks / Enchanters fighting for sloppy seconds) in early EQ was the hassle of getting a group. SK's had xp group penalties and the like, which made getting a group almost impossible for SK's back then.BUT I WAS FINE WITH THAT.

SK's were rare because they were a pain in the ass and the twitch crowd avoided them. But a good SK, because of his agro skills (if he knew how to use them) were highly valued. So it took a while to develop a decent reputation on the server as a good tank, but once you did the groups didn't care about the xp penalty because they knew the person behind the toon would more than make up for it.

That is what is missing in modern MMO's.WoW fucked us with pablum and easy to play everything. Now everyone copies them and anyone that is capable of skill does something else with their lives. Old EQ could would have been better with a LFG system that made it easier to find groups, butthe instant travel system is bullshitand should be avoided at all costs.

If the dungeon is worth fighting in, then it is worth fighting to get to.
Agree with this philosophy 100%. Some classes were not as wanted due to certain aspects, but if played right people would ditch the penalty for the reward in the end. I remember on live in the Velious era, not many people wanted pet classes in high risk environments with lots of mobs because the majority of mages/necros sucked with pet control. After grouping quite a bit, I always received tells from the same individuals doing their nightly runs because I played my class like a champion and never broke mezzes.

Most importantly, building a reputation is something that is lost in current games. I remember valuing my reputation just as much as my character's gear & level advancement.