Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Good one.

Yes, the ability to teleport for people that didn't roll a teleport class should depend on who and what classes you have on your friends list at the time. Great fun design right there.

Casters getting all the useful quality of life stuff because reasons is totally the reason people loved vanilla EQ so much.
rolleyes.png
Clearly this game is not meant for everyone. If you don't like pork, you don't order a BLT.

LFG_sl

shitlord
Giving certain classes port just turns a dungeon finding system into TeleWiz finding system.

I'm all for limited travel (exploring in beta EQ is my fondest MMO memory) just not when it's tied to certain classes.

Irongut_sl

shitlord
Giving certain classes port just turns a dungeon finding system into TeleWiz finding system.

I'm all for limited travel (exploring in beta EQ is my fondest MMO memory) just not when it's tied to certain classes.
How many different times do you need to be told this isn't going to be a game for you (if it even gets made). We get it, you want everyone to be a special snowflake. Every other game caters to this. Go play those.

vazdeline_sl

shitlord

Highly disagree. Any type of instant travel needs to be balanced by forced social interaction with other players.

Force a bunch of introverted gamers to communicate and watch the magic begin.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Yeah class interaction is vitally important , certain classes being able to do things that only they can do , and others will want definitely should be an important part of this. Be it buffs , travel , whatever.

Everyone having travel spells is ridiculous.

LFG_sl

shitlord
/find TeleportClass 10-50. Invite.

If you design the classes well they will be desirable for *gasp* non-superfluous things like tackling content. Classwalling instant travel just promotes two-boxing and/or pigeon-holing your group into taking a class for fucking teleport instead of the merits of their class build/skill.

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
I really like the idea of local city wizard guilds porting you to 1-3 other locations for the equivalent of what 150-250 plat was in EQ. The same with binds. Players could undercut the costs if they're available, but if they aren't, then you could always cough up the money. Melee classes have the same traditional challenges leveling, but show up late game as the most consistent dmg dealers etc once the gear starts rolling in. Yup i'd be cool with that model.

LFG_sl

shitlord
Haha +1. God forbid they should force you to talk to someone for some help in game. But hey, all is not lost LFG. EQN gives you the ability to mix and match any combination of classes, spells, and abilities no matter what you roll. So you could be a tank/wizzy/rogue/shaman/cleric! No group tanks, no group healers, it will be a fucking free for all of epic proportions! ZERO restrictions! Sounds right up your ally. Hell, I'll even bet you can just say fuck it and solo your way to max level in under a month without talking to a single person! Give it a try!
How many different times do you need to be told this isn't going to be a game for you (if it even gets made). We get it, you want everyone to be a special snowflake. Every other game caters to this. Go play those.
Nonsensical strawmans aside, I already backed the game, sorry!

Flank_sl

shitlord
Lack of a grouping tool can prevent exploration. If you have to travel to a destination before looking for a group then people are more likely to just go to the popular destinations because they know that they can find a group then they get there. Personally, I do not like WoW's LFG tool because it automatically groups you with people, but I do like something like DDO's lfg tool as it just puts you in contact with other people who are looking to do the same content that you are.

As for travel, I think that mounts are a much bigger problem than teleporting. If you remove mounts then the world is effectively much larger and teleport points are further from the content that you want to get to. Also, mounts allow you to bypass otherwise dangerous monsters.

I quite like travel in early Lineage 2. You could teleport between major towns but it was expensive. You could scroll (recall) to the nearest town, so the most efficient way was to run half way to the next town and then scroll. You sometimes still had to run through dangerous locations, but once you knew the zones you could get to any town safely. You could travel the world in 20 minutes using scrolls, but getting to some dungeon entrances involved risk.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nonsensical strawmans aside, I already backed the game, sorry!
I personally don't mind the random NPC teleport to another city.. But you're not making a case for anything.. Just kind of bitching..

I think porting classes should get you to more of the remote areas but NPCs porting you to a city you've already visited is a fair balance. You can pay/trade for a port to a remote location or you can pay an NPC for a port to the closest town and run it out..

It just can't be overdone.. Like Rod was saying. Ports to every area of interest turns the game into a lobby game and defeats the purpose of a large world feeling.

LFG_sl

shitlord
I personally don't mind the random NPC teleport to another city.. But you're not making a case for anything.. Just kind of bitching..

I think porting classes should get you to more of the remote areas but NPCs porting you to a city you've already visited is a fair balance. You can pay/trade for a port to a remote location or you can pay an NPC for a port to the closest town and run it out..

It just can't be overdone.. Like Rod was saying. Ports to every area of interest turns the game into a lobby game and defeats the purpose of a large world feeling.
I'm making a case for not classwalling porting as it's just bad design in a number of ways. Sending a in game tell to a TeleportClass asking for transportation does not promote 'socializing' so I'm sure why people keep bringing that up.

Never claimed I wanted easy-mode travel to everywhere and everything.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider

ah, now i get it; you were the asshole in EQ that no one liked.

Merlin_sl

shitlord

That's the first time I've ever heardwizard-envy. You obviously didn't play original Everquest.

mhoward48_sl

shitlord
"Originally posted by Dumar"

"Please take my advice sincerely and with a few sprinkles of salt. I've been on FoH for years advocating some things you're asking about in your post and lamenting others.

It is mutually exclusive and even a little hypocritical. You can't truly have both: a truly dangerous world and 'accessible' game. To me, there is no such sweet spot between convenience & immersion. Some here and elsewhere will say there is. If you go for this g-spot, what will likely happen is that you'll fail in both respects and alienate both populations, people like in this community vs. casuals you're looking to attract. Because what happens is, you get the travel mechanics of Velious (which I'm semi-ok with) but it turns into the PoK books later down the line.

Anything that involves a pop-up dialog box to access another part of the world breaks immersion and cheapens the world. Point blank. A pop-up box as a LFG finder is the absolute worst. I don't want the functionality of this dialog box: the auto-matching and insta-teleporting that it provides. That's exactly why I backed this KS and what I'm looking to get away from. Because why?

If you have a class-based game, with abilities that are unique to class, part of their usenfulness & uniqueness (good definition for a class identity: usefulness & uniqueness) is manipulating the world in some way, a different way than the other classes, not different animation window dressing as in WoW. A LFG dialog box destroys both usefulness & uniqueness. No longer are wizard or druid teleports needed. If you have a very lax death penalty, no longer are cleric resses needed. No longer are necro summons needed.

CLASSES should powerfully manipulate the world in useful & unique ways. These dialog boxes and other conveniences in modern MMOs provide the utility to manipulate the world that the classes should. That's the problem with giving even an inch: any convenience given to players, like a LFG dialog, inherently takes away something a class could provide.

For my game, I would do similar to Velious: some ports to places you've been before, but very few of these and located in dangerous spots. Any teleport spells are class-based spells. There is no LFG dialog box, but a LFG channel that you are placed in once you /lfg yourself. Let the players sort out finding/creating groups amongst themselves: that's part of the massively interactive idea & was part of the appeal of EQ."

I agree 100%. I want the classes and their abilities protected. I do not want a LFG box. Use chat. Very well put Dumar!