Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I think Dumar and others have hit it with the LFG tool. What happens if the game expands beyond a niche? Then the LFG tool turns to DF tool. And it does build a type of community to have to actually BUILD the groups manually, and to do so over and over again and build a reputation for being someone that does so.

I get the convenience, but I thought this was supposed to be a throw back game geared towards a niche set of players that want a more challenging and community based game?

Also, enough with the rampart hyperbole, you make this thread feel like it is full of high school students.

That being said, with the answer I got earlier on "semi instanced", that is prolly a deal breaker for me anyway. I do not want to be killing the same thing as 100 other groups in other instances. This goes for quests etc too, it is pretty neat to be a lower geared / leveled / experienced player and see a end game toon completing something in zone.

Its like driving a stick, it is harder, and your gonna tear up a transmission, but there is a thrill to having that direct connection with the engine and not having a computer / UI translating every input you make for you and then giving it to the engine. To hold with that metaphor, it sounds like a good amount of people on this thread want to be able to say they drive a stick, but in reality have paddle shifters on a 200hp car.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think Dumar and others have hit it with the LFG tool. What happens if the game expands beyond a niche? Then the LFG tool turns to DF tool. And it does build a type of community to have to actually BUILD the groups manually, and to do so over and over again and build a reputation for being someone that does so.

I get the convenience, but I thought this was supposed to be a throw back game geared towards a niche set of players that want a more challenging and community based game?

Also, enough with the rampart hyperbole, you make this thread feel like it is full of high school students.

That being said, with the answer I got earlier on "semi instanced", that is prolly a deal breaker for me anyway. I do not want to be killing the same thing as 100 other groups in other instances. This goes for quests etc too, it is pretty neat to be a lower geared / leveled / experienced player and see a end game toon completing something in zone.

Its like driving a stick, it is harder, and your gonna tear up a transmission, but there is a thrill to having that direct connection with the engine and not having a computer / UI translating every input you make for you and then giving it to the engine. To hold with that metaphor, it sounds like a good amount of people on this thread want to be able to say they drive a stick, but in reality have paddle shifters on a 200hp car.
Why is it that a game that's targeted at a niche crowd needs to have 1999 game mechanics? You know, there are modern advancements that don't kill the type of game everyone wants, LFG window is one of them. I also find it amusing that some want a direct copy/paste of EQ circa 1999 as if EQ didn't have broken game mechanics.

I still haven't found one good explanation on how much more 'community' it is to type lvl xx class LFG in a chat window and then spamming that macro every minute? How are you building community by typing /invite soandso? What do you mean, building a reputation for forming a group? A pick up group is just that, a pick up group.

Merlin_sl

shitlord
Why is it that a game that's targeted at a niche crowd needs to have 1999 game mechanics? You know, there are modern advancements that don't kill the type of game everyone wants, LFG window is one of them. I also find it amusing that some want a direct copy/paste of EQ circa 1999 as if EQ didn't have broken game mechanics.

I still haven't found one good explanation on how much more 'community' it is to type lvl xx class LFG in a chat window and then spamming that macro every minute? How are you building community by typing /invite soandso? What do you mean, building a reputation for forming a group? A pick up group is just that, a pick up group.
I wouldn't worry to much. Vanguard was leaps and bounds above EQ when it came to class design and incorporating modern mechanics while keeping the ol' school feel to it.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I am not arguing for /autoattack + taunt mechanics, I am stating that imo it is best to not cater to any type of convenience that compromises community to ANY degree. And LFG is one such example as far as I am concerned.

Aeiouy_sl

shitlord

You know you get the rep as the annoying fuck who will bother everyone on the server regardless of what they are doing to invite them to fill out your group. (Usually filling out means being healer for five dps).

I don't get the community and social aspects people claim are being lost.

I also don't understand the guy above who says what if the game becomes popular and then what will a lfg tool become.

I feel like some people, here specifically, are in for a world of heartache as it relates to the game. Between developer comments and the thousands of backers not from here, this image they have in their head of a broken down eq clone is going to leave them in a pool of tears.

Even the greatest mechanics that ever came out of Everquest have potential room for improvement with fourteen years of hindsight.

People want to say the game is for people like them. I feel pretty comfortable in saying that in 2014-2017 the game is NOT for people who can not figure out the benefits of a lfg ui without sacrificing anything hardcore or niche.

Some people who now believe Brad talks to them in their sleep will eventually find out they were not a part of the target audience at all.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I dunno, EQ2 had the exact same thing. Nobody communicated at all on the island in my experience (back when it launched).
I'm sure it was because of those filthy, worthless LFG tools! It couldn't possibly be that demographics are changing, voice chat is becoming more popular, etc.

Carl_sl

shitlord
You know you get the rep as the annoying fuck who will bother everyone on the server regardless of what they are doing to invite them to fill out your group. (Usually filling out means being healer for five dps).

I don't get the community and social aspects people claim are being lost.

I also don't understand the guy above who says what if the game becomes popular and then what will a lfg tool become.

I feel like some people, here specifically, are in for a world of heartache as it relates to the game. Between developer comments and the thousands of backers not from here, this image they have in their head of a broken down eq clone is going to leave them in a pool of tears.

Even the greatest mechanics that ever came out of Everquest have potential room for improvement with fourteen years of hindsight.

People want to say the game is for people like them. I feel pretty comfortable in saying that in 2014-2017 the game is NOT for people who can not figure out the benefits of a lfg ui without sacrificing anything hardcore or niche.

Some people who now believe Brad talks to them in their sleep will eventually find out they were not a part of the target audience at all.
It's been pretty clear that talking to this crowd accomplishes nothing, even in the face of a piss poor kickstarter performance they will gladly shout you down stating that the market is huge for a game like this, citing eq progression servers, conveniently ignoring the fact that those people no longer find the progression servers new or exciting and just do it for the race to the top and the promise of groups.

"We aren't getting the message out, we've got to push harder. These people just don't get it." Sounds like another delusional group of people I know about.

Vandraad_sl

shitlord
I'm sure it was because of those filthy, worthless LFG tools! It couldn't possibly be that demographics are changing, voice chat is becoming more popular, etc.
It's because the game gave you no reason nor need to communicate with anyone especially at that level. The newbie island was set up on rails, had no room for exploration or for getting lost. The minimap told you were to go for your 'quest' and the glowing ribbon took you back to the quest giver. Everything could be done solo by any class. Demographics and voice chat had nothing to do with it.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Same shit for wow, 1-60. There was absolutely no reason to contact anyone, unless you were doing a dungeon. Im taking vanilla here. Now? You dont have to talk with anyone Lv1 through end game LFR.

JarekStorm_sl

shitlord
A simple, localized LFG window would be fine, and reduce chat spam sure. You should travel to where you want to group first, then see who else in that region is LFG.

There's no point in going LFG for a zone you have to travel far just to get to though. Make it like the localized Bazaar, so that you have to actually be in the area to see others LFG in that area.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
It's been pretty clear that talking to this crowd accomplishes nothing, even in the face of a piss poor kickstarter performance they will gladly shout you down stating that the market is huge for a game like this, citing eq progression servers, conveniently ignoring the fact that those people no longer find the progression servers new or exciting and just do it for the race to the top and the promise of groups.

"We aren't getting the message out, we've got to push harder. These people just don't get it." Sounds like another delusional group of people I know about.
you're arguing two completely different things here. there are plenty of people who are looking for a more challenging MMO, and one that returns the genre to its roots. however, the number of people who are willing to give money to a kickstarter is way lower. if a game like EQ was made today, i'm sure it would be very successful. just because a lot of people don't believe in having to fund the game themselves doesn't mean there isn't a market for such a game. example: i'd love for another sitcom like seinfeld (actually funny) to come along, but if jerry seinfeld came out and said "i'll make another sitcom like seinfeld, but i want everyone who's interested in watching it to pay for it to be made." i wouldn't be interested at all.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
you're arguing two completely different things here. there are plenty of people who are looking for a more challenging MMO, and one that returns the genre to its roots. however, the number of people who are willing to give money to a kickstarter is way lower. if a game like EQ was made today, i'm sure it would be very successful. just because a lot of people don't believe in having to fund the game themselves doesn't mean there isn't a market for such a game. example: i'd love for another sitcom like seinfeld (actually funny) to come along, but if jerry seinfeld came out and said "i'll make another sitcom like seinfeld, but i want everyone who's interested in watching it to pay for it to be made." i wouldn't be interested at all.
Ive followed a lot of threads on this.. People just have a wait and see approach.. We won't know the real interested number until a game like this is released and is relatively bug free.

Even looking at SoA.. They got less than 15k backers.. I would think that there are way more people interested in that type of game.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Ive followed a lot of threads on this.. People just have a wait and see approach.. We won't know the real interested number until a game like this is released and is relatively bug free.

Even looking at SoA.. They got less than 15k backers.. I would think that there are way more people interested in that type of game.
i agree. there are a lot of parallels between the video game industry and the movie industry. there's a big difference between saying "i'd like to go see a movie like that" and "i'd be willing to fund a movie like that."

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Figured I post this from Brad.. He dropped it on neogaf but I liked how it summed up the lore.. He answer was in regards to why they chose rise of the fallen..

Rise of the Fallen comes right from our lore and world setting. When you start playing Pantheon you'll find that your character was once a powerful hero in centuries past. But you were defeated in a great conflict, along with scores of other heroes of old. You fell. But now you are rising from the ashes and you want to find out what happened. The world is different -- hundreds of years have passed. You're missing all of your gear and you want it back. And as you explore the world you'll find the essences of other defeated heroes. Using those essences you'll be able to learn additional abilities and spells, allowing you to customize your character to some degree. It's still a class based system and we're not talking about multi-classing, but you will be able to customize your abilities and spells to some degree... perhaps you're a cleric but you'd like to dish out some damage as well. Cleric damage spells will not be available at your trainer -- you'll need to travel to distant, exotic lands to find these hero essences.

The name Pantheon comes from the religious situation on the planet Terminus, the game world. Over thousands of years different shards and pieces of other worlds, realities, and dimensions have collided with Terminus (hence it's name), adding to the world new architecture, sentient races, and also the gods from those shards. So instead of one group of deities, you'll find yourself on a world with multiple pantheons. There may be 4 storm gods, or 6 nature goddesses. And they're not happy about no longer being unique. Their power derives from the devotion of their followers, and now that only a portion of their homeworld remains, they're weaker than they were before. In fact, if a god or goddess has lost a certain amount of worship and devotion they cease to be spirit beings and become corporeal. We call them god-kings. And what do these god-kings almost always want? To recover their power and to shed their mortal forms. How they go about bringing to themselves more followers depends on the nature of the deity. Some will choose conquest, taking over foreign lands and forcing their new subjects to worship them. Others will do so peacefully and attempt to earn the respect and worship of mortals by assisting them and protecting them from harm. And a few will simply not care anymore about their devotion... these hermit-like god-kings are typically found far from civilization, often hiding out of sight, or living in massive towers in the frozen north, barricaded against attack and xenophobic to the extreme.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Same shit for wow, 1-60. There was absolutely no reason to contact anyone, unless you were doing a dungeon. Im taking vanilla here. Now? You dont have to talk with anyone Lv1 through end game LFR.
I don't understand these types of statements. There was no actual need to contact people in EQ either once you learned the game as certain classes. What need did a bard, necro, or druid have except if they wanted to do dungeons in EQ? My bard never needed people in the early game. Just like WoW, the early groups could help you find friends for endgame content.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I actually don't remember vanilla WoW's lfg tools (if there were any). I was so far ahead of the levelling curve on my server that I actually couldn't group. But that is kind of a problem. I still made friends and ended up leading a guild but you could very easily go 1-60 without ever grouping and because of the nature of the game soloing was much faster and more efficient so that's what most people did (so we could get to end game faster)

ezcw_sl

shitlord
Rise of the Fallen comes right from our lore and world setting. When you start playing Pantheon you'll find that your character was once a powerful hero in centuries past. But you were defeated in a great conflict, along with scores of other heroes of old. You fell. But now you are rising from the ashes and you want to find out what happened.
I don't like it when the game starts you out as some sort of great hero. Let me be my self, dammit. That was something kind of neat about EQ. You got dropped into the world as a nobody, and it was up to you to decide what you wanted to do. I'm not even a roleplayer, but that always bothered me about Rift, too.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I actually don't remember vanilla WoW's lfg tools (if there were any). I was so far ahead of the levelling curve on my server that I actually couldn't group. But that is kind of a problem. I still made friends and ended up leading a guild but you could very easily go 1-60 without ever grouping and because of the nature of the game soloing was much faster and more efficient so that's what most people did (so we could get to end game faster)
We have a very similar WoW experience. I even bought the first epic mount on my server.