Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Wage

Molten Core Raider
I don't understand these types of statements. There was no actual need to contact people in EQ either once you learned the game as certain classes. What need did a bard, necro, or druid have except if they wanted to do dungeons in EQ? My bard never needed people in the early game. Just like WoW, the early groups could help you find friends for endgame content.
Because you needed to buy or sell an item? Because you needed a Clarity or Sow? Because you needed a rez? Because you lost your corpse and needed help getting it back? Because you needed a port? Because you had no idea where the hell Surefall Glade was? Because you didn't feel like farming bone chips all damn day? This list could go on forever.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I don't like it when the game starts you out as some sort of great hero. Let me be my self, dammit. That was something kind of neat about EQ. You got dropped into the world as a nobody, and it was up to you to decide what you wanted to do. I'm not even a roleplayer, but that always bothered me about Rift, too.
Agreed. I hope they implement some sort of character background system or something like GW2 where you can choose to just be an average dude who has heard about the essences of fallen heroes and you may (or may not) want to go steal some power for yourself. Or maybe even a system where you may or may not be a hero, but you don't know until you start killing shit and stealing hero essences and trying to attune them or whatever. Bonus if you don't know until way deep into the end game whether you're actually a fallen hero or not. Give players the chance to gain the favor of gods or whatever to attune shit, but make it punishment enough that every few weeks we have some idiot rage-quitting on the forums because it turns out his elite raid rogue isn't actually a fallen hero.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I've been messing around with my Iksar on P1999, and it's a nice change of pace being such a newbie gimp. No map, no sense of direction, skills lacking (but slowly getting better at offense/weapon/defense!). The fact that the ground is littered with corpses of newbies is glorious too.

Not everyone can be a hero.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Absolutely against anything like this - anything you'd learn there you can learn "in the real world". Let players make their character, give them a rusty dagger and a good collection of loading screen hints and tooltips and let them figure it out for themselves. I think five levels of teaching would even create false expectations (similar to the suggestion of having group finder at first then removing it later), because then the first five levels would be like current MMOs.
It's not even 5 levels of teaching, it just removes, as I pointed out, the need to create a dozen starter zones in the real world that just take up space.
What did you learn at West Freeport gate again? How to bash the decaying skeleton over its head and loot a bone chip. After that, the zone was just travel space for you.
Rush the players through levels 1-5, give them the skills for their class and once they leave the training island, it's group time. I don't see why it has to be like current MMOs either. Fact is most players only stay at the first few levels for a very short time, then move on. If you have a starting area for each race or whatever, that makes it extremly rare to see other players in your starting area once the game is out for a few months.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I want a giant city /urban area. Some races start in the main city, some in the cities ghetto, some (trolls) in the trash dump, evil classes underneath in the sewers, gay elves in the mansions in the nice area of town, gnomes in the side of a mountain they dug into against the orders of the city zoning commission. Let dwarfs start in a tavern of their choice.

It would fit the lore of Pantheon, be easier/cheaper to create than a bunch of zones that will end up empty, be good for the community aspects we all claim to care about knowing we're going to PL to max and never interact with anyone outside our guilds, it just makes sense. Could do all the 'newbie' levels right there in the city, and a zone-based game would allow for all sorts of basements and sewers and abandon buildings, etc. Could even have some high level content in the city by making the city have a mix of factions.

One centralized place everyone starts would be cool with me. I don't care if it's 5 different zones. I don't care if they have to phase/clone it for launch. It would be cool and better than most other options that I've seen.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I want a giant city /urban area. Some races start in the main city, some in the cities ghetto, some (trolls) in the trash dump, evil classes underneath in the sewers, gay elves in the mansions in the nice area of town, gnomes in the side of a mountain they dug into against the orders of the city zoning commission. Let dwarfs start in a tavern of their choice.

It would fit the lore of Pantheon, be easier/cheaper to create than a bunch of zones that will end up empty, be good for the community aspects we all claim to care about knowing we're going to PL to max and never interact with anyone outside our guilds, it just makes sense. Could do all the 'newbie' levels right there in the city, and a zone-based game would allow for all sorts of basements and sewers and abandon buildings, etc. Could even have some high level content in the city by making the city have a mix of factions.

One centralized place everyone starts would be cool with me. I don't care if it's 5 different zones. I don't care if they have to phase/clone it for launch. It would be cool and better than most other options that I've seen.
Not that I disagree, but this was also done in EQ2. They took Freeport and Qeynos and split it into districts and depending on your race you started in a certain district.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not that I disagree, but this was also done in EQ2. They took Freeport and Qeynos and split it into districts and depending on your race you started in a certain district.
Already kind of sounds it might go that direction. Which is fine with me.. After that I hope things spread out a bit.. I like mixing higher content with lower stuff. With only 20 levels I think we will see a lot of that..

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I really wish they'd reconsider the starting cities. That hurts. One city does not a fantasy world make.
If they had the money, I would be right there with you but it's just not a good move on a budget. We gotta have faith in Brad and team to pull off what they plan in regards to starting areas.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
I thought they said more than one starting city ?

Anyway we have to keep in mind that if he truly plans on keeping it fewer levels just taking longer with minor bumps up during each level the "starting" mobs/area might be level 1 only and that's it.

Also I like the idea of cities that have whatever trash needed outside for the initial beginnings but are still the same cities you go back to for banking or whatever other reason. Make the cities have multiple purposes to be used throughout the whole thing in other words.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
What did you learn at West Freeport gate again? How to bash the decaying skeleton over its head and loot a bone chip. After that, the zone was just travel space for you.
When I went back to P1999 I relearned that some of the staffs sold for a plat and that bone chips were in demand. So even when I was in my teens but still broke as fuck because it was my first time playing on the server I still made a bee line for that piece of shit holding a stick because, yeah plats.

Its not like these zones took months to create. With the right tools it would be fairly trivial to do, given the variety it adds to the game it is time well spent.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
under 7k today so far, with 1 1/2hr left.

These awful daily amounts like this are very problematic for getting funded.

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
+1 to this idea.
This works for me, except the gay elves would be in trees/underneath. and the root area for the dark elves could connect to the sewers.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
When I went back to P1999 I relearned that some of the staffs sold for a plat and that bone chips were in demand. So even when I was in my teens but still broke as fuck because it was my first time playing on the server I still made a bee line for that piece of shit holding a stick because, yeah plats.

Its not like these zones took months to create. With the right tools it would be fairly trivial to do, given the variety it adds to the game it is time well spent.
so what do we do about the ghost town phenomenon that most newbie zones are in EQ now such as Everfrost, Feerroott, Nektulos Forest, Misty Thicket, Qeynos, Steamfont?

if you don't start in FP or Gfay as a newbie, you must think you're the only person playing.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
The true story is that dual wield actually sucked and wasn't very good at generating hate; wasn't very good at doing DPS and had the bad side effect of exposing the warrior to extra damage from mob ripostes and damage shields. Sure a warrior could wield 2 weapons with hate procs but the proc rate at 205-255 dexterity only allowed their primary weapon to proc an average of 1.5 times per minute(about once every 40 seconds) and their off hand weapon to proc a measly .75 times a minute(about once every 80 seconds); making any supposed bonus from the extra procs pretty much irrelevant. The exception of course is the the Bloodfrenzy which had a proc rate bonus that allowed it's hate proc to happen far more often than the normal 1.5 times per minute(.75 times per minute in off hand) that every other weapon before it was restricted to; finally giving warriors a weapon that was actually worth dual wielding. However Bloodfrenzy was a rare drop off of a mob with a 6 day spawn timer so very few warriors had it making 2 handers the weapon of choice for all but the luckiest warriors(or warriors too stupid to understand the mechanics of the game and insisted on dual wielding anyway).
The proc rate at 255 dex was 2 per minute main hand, 1 per minute off hand before AAs and combat effects. Hitting max dex shouldn't have been a problem with shaman+ench buffs and generic raid gear.

You underestimate the hate generated from procs. There was no real hate proc on 2h weapons until the Blade of War, making the 3 procs per minute (or more in the case of the bloodfrenzy) dual wield setups more hate over time than 2handers until the BoW. In fact, bloodfrenzy setups were still more hate over time than the BoW was, but the advantage was small making BoWs superior for the DPS and fewer ripostes. Raid boss fights in EQ were very long; waiting 20 seconds for a hate proc wasn't a big deal when some fights lasted literally half an hour. Of course in exp scenarios, slowers had to wait before casting instead of slowing immediately when using knight tanks, but in fairness knights did need to have some advantages over a warrior, else why pick one? I did however make a paladin instead of a warrior on eqmac.

You act like 2h hate generation was some big secret-- as if non-tanking warriors weren't using 2h for the dps while the MT used procing 1handers. The hate advantage only grew larger when adding extra procs from augs, symbol of the planesmasters buff, weapon affinity AAs and combat effects. Darkblade + EoE blew away the BoW if you had any proc rate modifiers. I was the only warrior I knew that geared for hate generation first, above ac and above hp, and I had a proc rate of 12 per minute. My guild stopped worrying about low health summoning because my hate was so high that it overtook the flat modifier for low health aggro.

Aggro management in EverQuest was a shared responsibility which is something that I always liked and something that has been sorely lacking in games since.
I think most of us can agree with this. If anything, knight aggro was too high, not that warrior aggro was too low. Why should spamming a very non-threatening level 9 spell make mobs hate the knight so much?

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Curb Your Enthusiasm.
exactly my point. what if instead of making curb your enthusiasm with the money/reputation that larry david made creating seinfeld, he instead decided to have the people who watched seinfeld pay to make his new show for him? think that would have worked? i doubt it.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I never thought it would fail. It will be close but I think it makes it.
Pretty clear at this point if this gets funded it will have one of the highest avg $ per backer of any KS.

Really it's gonna rest on how badly some people with a lot of money to burn want this. Gonna need a really big boost at the end. So I wish brad would make up some good 1k+ tiers.