Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've noticed a few saying something about the stretch goals throwing folks off of donating and thought about one in particular and see their point.

Crafting.

And look, other than gathering I really will never want to spend much time crafting jack, but I do like in game economies more like SWG where I went to certain players who made the best equip with nice shops and so on. So I'm in no way a crafting whore.

But someone mentioned how do you have that as a stretch goal ? How can you possibly design the core of the game with no crafting in mind, then add something like crafting later ? I'm a PVP whore , and would love to see a Zek server, but see how it can be a stretch goal , you add a PVP server later on , make a few changes for who can kill who , and let us start the bloodshed. Crafting though ? Unless it's purely some cosmetic drivel that matters none to the game other than aesthetics , how can this be an optional stretch goal.

Not bitching ,I'm genuinely curious how you'd work something like that in later without designing for it from the start ? The only thing I can come up with is like I said , it's minor cosmetic stuff that doesn't matter.

Just noted on the KS and other forums besides it turning away hard core crafting types , some were wondering the same as me about this.
They responded to this concern. The game will be built where they can port crafting in. So basically designed with crafting in mind. They even mentioned mats dropping even though crafting wasnt in.

Merlin_sl

shitlord
LOL, they are not moving.
They should.

rrr_img_59163.jpg

The Most (And Least) Business Friendly States - Forbes

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
@Merlin-they already said a big reason the team assembled the way it did was because they didn't want to move. I know they incorporated in Delaware tho.. But most corporations do.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
but wyoming and north dakota dont have big booty exploited brazillian babysitters walking around like florida does.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Well I would hope that they were not all just I dea men. I cant believe a dude like Salim just sits there and spouts off ideas all day.
Nine of their eleven original people are 'designers'. Not programmers. Not artists. Designers.

I'd guess a big reason why their KS was so terrible at the start is nine chiefs and no indians means they were waiting for us to pay for them to hire their actual worker bees.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
@Merlin-they already said a big reason the team assembled the way it did was because they didn't want to move. I know they incorporated in Delaware tho.. But most corporations do.
once again, vr displays poor and bizaare judgement in business dealings. i get it, you like being able to drive over to mom's house for dinner on sunday, and you found that perfect spot to ride your dirt bike, and your local dry cleaner knows your name and doesnt ask for a ticket. cool. that still doesnt justify double digit state taxes when youre trying to get your startup going.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
It's Monday Morning QB'ing now , but just one or two more artists/coders putting up artwork and early screenshots would have gone a LONG way in helping fund the KS. Paragraphs about humans and rogues backstabbing with an icon thrown up only gets you so far.

They improved greatly last week on the KS, but are going to have to not let up now.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
once again, vr displays poor and bizaare judgement in business dealings. i get it, you like being able to drive over to mom's house for dinner on sunday, and you found that perfect spot to ride your dirt bike, and your local dry cleaner knows your name and doesnt ask for a ticket. cool. that still doesnt justify double digit state taxes when youre trying to get your startup going.
I don't disagree man but trying to get 10-20 people to uproot their families and move isn't a good thing either.. It wont help long term if the family isn't happy in the new area. It will only make things harder on the Dev and the employee not being happy is the worst possible thing that should happen.

Irongut_sl

shitlord
I don't disagree man but trying to get 10-20 people to uproot their families and move isn't a good thing either.. It wont help long term if the family isn't happy in the new area. It will only make things harder on the Dev and the employee not being happy is the worst possible thing that should happen.
And this is why I'm having doubts these guys are serious about creating the game.

A serious man does what is needed because he is passionate about his mission. It isn't uncommon for people creating startups to live in near squalor as they pour every ounce of time, energy and money into it.

If they won't even consider moving to a more friendly business climate, where they could potentially save millions over years through lower taxes, fees, cost of living / wages for employees - then what else are they going to skip over?

I've pledged to this kickstarter and hope the game gets made, but I want to see some fire out of these guys and so far its been more smoke.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
Yeah but It takes a level greater than love. Plus a lot of people have moved on from that kind of gaming or are happy in other games. They don't obsess about the glory days of eq. In fact given how wow jizzed all over everything it could be fair to believe most people felt inhibited and held back by eq and would have zero interest in going back.

At this point the is and further campaign needs to move past just living on the laurels of eq and the ideas of vanguard and instead live and die on what pantheon is going to be.

Claiming it will be like old school eq is not even accurate as it will likely be less like old school eq than like it. By the way I consider old school eq year 1, pre kunark. That was by far the most unique era of eq by a huge margin. And not to knock people who did not get that experience but it was way different than playing in velious or pop or even kunark. Sometimes reading posts about people talking about old school hardcore eq I am not even convinced they played the game during that first year. That was some crazy shit. By the time kunark launched the toothpaste was all the way out of the tube.

I do hope they can put together enough like minded players to give this game a shot. I am on board. And personally I can't wait for the forums where players bitching goes from an mmo 12 to an mmo 19 because "they paid to make the game." I hope the future pantheon community manager has a strong constitution.
What does WoW's success have to do with EQ? WoW's population largely comprises people who had never played an MMO before.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
exactly. which is why i dont think they that serious. he said it himself, the guys who signed on to this did it in part to stay in san diego, which indicates to me the majority of his fellow unemployed designers actually had to uproot to find a job, or atleast find one that didnt include digital elves

Merlin_sl

shitlord
Its just smart business. Why pay the state of California when you can pocket that money and reinvest it in the business, and keep the leftover for salaries? Seems common sense. Not like they are working with $30-60 million dollars here. They are on a shoe string budget. They need to do what it takes is my opinion.

Tide27_sl

shitlord
And this is why I'm having doubts these guys are serious about creating the game.

A serious man does what is needed because he is passionate. It isn't uncommon for people creating startups to live in near squalor as they pour every ounce of time, energy and money into it.

If they won't even consider moving to a more friendly business climate, where they could potentially save millions over years through lower taxes, fees, cost of living / wages for employees - then what else are they going to skip over?

I've pledged to this kickstarter and hope the game gets made, but I want to see some fire out of these guys and so far its been more smoke.
I don't really think they plan on the game ever being a success. There is just far too little interest in it. If you browse multiple forums, there is little to no interest in this game / team. This kickstarter is nothing more than a money grab to get money into some peoples pockets and maybe rent an office for a few months or something. If they raise the 800k, they still have no obligation to make the game. You can just look at the team composition and know right off the bat that they don't have the right people / jobs in place and it will do nothing but hemorrhage money at record pace with little to show for it.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
If they need to do what it takes, they work out of Brads mansion etate basement. They do not need offices with new lavish dells. Fold out tables, fold out chairs and they need to see the computer building thread.
biggrin.png

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

A serious man does what is needed because he is passionate. It isn't uncommon for people creating startups to live in near squalor as they pour every ounce of time, energy and money into it.

Easier said than done. The type of thing puts a ton of stress on a family. I see it first hand with my line of work. As much as I want this game, family should always come first. Sometimes it's just not doable. I live in Philly. We have a great children's hosptail here. I work with 2 guys who moved here for that reason and they will never leave. Extreme example but the point is, it's not alway so cut and dry.

Merlin_sl

shitlord

A serious man does what is needed because he is passionate about his mission. It isn't uncommon for people creating startups to live in near squalor as they pour every ounce of time, energy and money into it.

Well said.