Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Aleatha

Silver Knight of the Realm
I've been playing a lot of p99 and have been loving it. I had no idea what I was missing all these years.
Agreed, the low levels with no gear are hell but still a lot of fun.

Also, if anyone happens to change tiers from $375 to whatever shoot me a PM. Looking to move to that tier.

Aeiouy_sl

shitlord
Even if it does barely get funded, it looks like they are going to have to do this anyway because I think it's pretty safe to say that it's not going to reach any of the stretch goals. I still go back to what Brad says about this KS proving to the industry (and potential investors) that people really want this type of game. Even though they've raised over 300k at this point, they still have less than 2500 backers. If I'm an investor/publisher, I don't see that as a 'huge or even average amount of interest'. I see that as a small but very vocal group of people that are willing to throw money into this project.

One thing to keep in mind, the primary reasons zones like EC and GFay were trade hubs was their close proximity to cities and easy to get to via ports. So any zone like this in the future would have to have those same elements. Has brad (or any of the other team) said that trade/commerce would be strictly by chat channels or are they going to incorporate some sort of Bazaar (which is different than an AH).
Yeah unfortunately it seems like they would be better off with 250k in pledges but 12k backers. The current number shows a very extreme amount of entrance by a very small group. Unless they plan a $40 a month subscription rate it is a tough row to hoe.

I have continued to waffle back and forth on the game being funded but at this point I do believe something will push his past the ks phase and on to a more open phase with more continuing funding options.

I can even see the project survive a ks failure at this point, something I believed 10 days ago was impossible. I want to applaud the small pantheon group in their ks trial by fire. They have gone above and beyond what even the biggest know it alls could have devised.

Had the all their current knowledge when they started this thing would have been easily funded and then some. And it is not so easy as just saying they did not study or prepare. They have come across on ideas that only happen due to actual doing and no amount of prep work would have brought them to the service.

I still hope it gets funded and then some. As others have shared numerous times, the low number of backers is the most daunting hurdle, even when it comes to blowing up the last five days.

Aeiouy_sl

shitlord
This kickstarter is not the end-all be-all for Pantheon.

If VRI is smart, the moment the Kickstarter ends, they'll have a donation system set up on their main page, with better laid out tiers and listed milestones.

Citadel of Sorcery's Kickstarter failed dismally. They're still going at it two years later.

I don't see why everyone is hinging on Kictstarter being the catalyst that will make or break Pantheon.

I personally believe it would be easier for more people(and they would be more willing) to part with $10.00-$20.00/month to reach higher tiers than potentially dropping a large chunk all at once.
The issue they face is several people on the team are on the cusp of real financial hardship and can not wait while even more money is fundraised and washed.

The ks coming through would relieve all that pressure and allow all the early participants to throw themselves in full force while allowing new team members.

If the ks does not fund you have the real chance some of those who have been working for free since September are forced to move on, thus putting the project in jeopardy:

The absolute best way to guarantee pantheon , as a project, continues to develop, heck continues to exist is for the ks goal to be met.

The data from ks is nowhere close to overwhelming that a third party would instantly jump in and provide funding. Moving from is to paypal donations have their own issues. For one they are going to be a much tougher sell without a funded ks to give the project credibility.
So question is could they raise enough paypal donations short term in order to meet the teams financial obligations and keep it going.

I have personally never been more positive the project will move on to advanced alpha stages but still a lot of interesting stuff to come.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
I'm still baffled why VR has 10 game designers. I'd think they'd need more coders, artists, and tech people.

Someone should ask Brad about this, and if it's a good use to pay for all these idea people versus implementers...

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
2 per minute for main and 1 per minute for off hand was at 305-404 dex. 205-304 dex was just 1.5 main hand and .75 off hand. Pre-Pop it was not possible to have more than 255 dex and therefor not more than 1.5 procs a minute in the main hand with the exception of Bloodfrenzy and a couple of other specific weapons.
My guild was aware of the Vyemm 2h. It was desired for the DPS, mainly. The proc on it does less damage than anarchy and has no stun or hate modifier. Incidentally the reason I tanked Vyemm with a primal 2h was because I wasn't supposed to tank him; the MT died and I took over, but I held aggro.

I still have some of my logs. I did most of my parsing in the PoP era, but I do have some velious and luclin era logs. I just reparsed some of them. Here are thre results:

I might be able to believe the proc rate being a bit less than 2/m, but I'm going to need proof believing anywhere near 1.5.

2 per minute at 255 is commonly accepted if you search google. Project 1999 uses 2 per minute at 255 dex, and they do a great deal of research on these things. If you have proof, they'd love to see it.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
A starting city and a city aren't the same thing. Even if they don't have multiple starting cities, give us multiple, diverse cities. Eq only had Highkeep if I'm not completely forgetting something, but they had so many races that made for 15 or 16 cities at the start of the game already, which really added the fantasy world feeling. WoW also had many, many cities in the beginning, only after they decided to go with the huge hub approach in the expansion the whole fantasy world feeling kinda died out.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Even if it does barely get funded, it looks like they are going to have to do this anyway because I think it's pretty safe to say that it's not going to reach any of the stretch goals. I still go back to what Brad says about this KS proving to the industry (and potential investors) that people really want this type of game. Even though they've raised over 300k at this point, they still have less than 2500 backers. If I'm an investor/publisher, I don't see that as a 'huge or even average amount of interest'. I see that as a small but very vocal group of people that are willing to throw money into this project.
Unless they had 100k backers, I feel like people were going to try and make this point anyway.. The amount of backers are definitely underwhelming.. But how many are needed to be considered a success would also be a matter of opinion.. I thought 15-20k would be plenty. This KS has a few things looming over its head for potential backers. VG, the bad start, the launch date and people just not liking kickstarters. I've seen all those reasons by potential backers.. It's really no indication of interest down the line.. If the team were to get this to beta and it had positive reviews we would see a lot more people interested. That's just the nature of games. I would even say if this does back and they do another KS next year with a lot of the game to show off, it would do better.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Phantasmist: Control groups of charmed enemies. Manipulate their behavior and force them to adhere your commands like a general commanding his army.
Pretty sure this will be nerfed before I'm even done reading the entire description.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Yeah, I know, still, the only way it will come even close to living up to the fantasies of players or of the reality of an EQ enchanter who had big enough balls, is by either being pretty much just a neat but ultimately not particularly powerful system, or nerfed into the ground.

Doesn't mean it won't be fun, though. I'm not saying I called it, but I was saying in the KS comments how I hoped you'd have an inactive enchanter that was stun/mezz based, and an active enchanter that occupied mobs via pets/illusions/charms that kept mobs still in combat. Will be interesting seeing how it plays out.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
I'm still baffled why VR has 10 game designers. I'd think they'd need more coders, artists, and tech people.

Someone should ask Brad about this, and if it's a good use to pay for all these idea people versus implementers...
he said it himself there was a group of men that

1) was fired from mmo projects
2) lived around san diego
3) didnt want to move away from san diego to seek employment.

those were the qualifications to tell your wife "lets give this a shot until unemployment runs out and if it doesnt work we can go to Ohio and ill take that job at your brothers box factory.'

because companies fire idea people before they fire people that produce things or code or have a skillset outside of of saying 'we should have, like, elves, but two kinds.'

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
I've noticed a few saying something about the stretch goals throwing folks off of donating and thought about one in particular and see their point.

Crafting.

And look, other than gathering I really will never want to spend much time crafting jack, but I do like in game economies more like SWG where I went to certain players who made the best equip with nice shops and so on. So I'm in no way a crafting whore.

But someone mentioned how do you have that as a stretch goal ? How can you possibly design the core of the game with no crafting in mind, then add something like crafting later ? I'm a PVP whore , and would love to see a Zek server, but see how it can be a stretch goal , you add a PVP server later on , make a few changes for who can kill who , and let us start the bloodshed. Crafting though ? Unless it's purely some cosmetic drivel that matters none to the game other than aesthetics , how can this be an optional stretch goal.

Not bitching ,I'm genuinely curious how you'd work something like that in later without designing for it from the start ? The only thing I can come up with is like I said , it's minor cosmetic stuff that doesn't matter.

Just noted on the KS and other forums besides it turning away hard core crafting types , some were wondering the same as me about this.

Aeiouy_sl

shitlord
Unless they had 100k backers, I feel like people were going to try and make this point anyway.. The amount of backers are definitely underwhelming.. But how many are needed to be considered a success would also be a matter of opinion.. I thought 15-20k would be plenty. This KS has a few things looming over its head for potential backers. VG, the bad start, the launch date and people just not liking kickstarters. I've seen all those reasons by potential backers.. It's really no indication of interest down the line.. If the team were to get this to beta and it had positive reviews we would see a lot more people interested. That's just the nature of games. I would even say if this does back and they do another KS next year with a lot of the game to show off, it would do better.
Yeah but 20k backers allows in investors to see 250k-360k a month in subscription fees. When you are talking about a game looking for an 8 million dollar budget, that kind of subscription revenue does make things possible.

At a few thousand backers you can't really project any meaningful subscription revenge, thus is a much harder sell to an investor.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yup, like I said all along, its not about the money they raise. As an investor all I would care about is the interest in a game like this. And 3K people just isnt cutting it.

Im honestly shocked that this is not getting more backers. I know its not the end, but still. I would of hoped that more than 3K people wanted a more girthy MMO experience that harkened back to oldschool. I guess I was totally wrong.

Gecko_sl

shitlord

those were the qualifications to tell your wife "lets give this a shot until unemployment runs out and if it doesnt work we can go to Ohio and ill take that job at your brothers box factory.'

because companies fire idea people before they fire people that produce things or code or have a skillset outside of of saying 'we should have, like, elves, but two kinds.'
Haha, probably. The irony here is I'm from San Diego originally and now live in Ohio. I do have a science and coding background....

I think the surplus of idea men versus actual coders, artists, and engineers is my biggest concern. If you check Camelot Unchained or Shroud of the Avatar, you see it slanted more towards the tech people, which is how I think it should be.

I'd really love to know why a startup needs 10 designers, and why people are cool paying for people to essentially do what we spend all day here doing for free.

Merlin_sl

shitlord

If by some miracle this project does get off the ground he needs to leave California. Head to a more business friendly state. And San Diego....wow, I can't even imagine what the real estate is going for there and the taxes are insane. Move to Texas.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Well I would hope that they were not all just I dea men. I cant believe a dude like Salim just sits there and spouts off ideas all day.