Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

tad10

Elisha Dushku
So let me get this straight....

SOE lied to, bacstabbed, and downright cheated a majority of its consumer base, while watering down thier games for over a decade... and a shiney new distraction just erases all of thier wrong, so we should praise them for how much they are listening and treating people.

While this McQuaid guy makes a piss poor fiasco managing the creation of one title and thus should be cursed for life?

This fourm is ripe for a psycology doctoral thesis.
Smed can't be trusted to keep his promises, Brad can't be trusted to manage MMO development. Slightly different issues. Smed needs to go and Brad needs to be working under/for a competent producer.

I bought into the eqn hype at SOE live, but came to my senses. Storybricks may be uber but Smed/SOE will find a way to screw it up (and in fact they did with action combat and be all you can be class system)

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
EQ was just extra slow honestly. Everything played faster with more "action". Even UO and DAoC were faster paced.
Thats what I meant. Maybe not in a general "action combat" terms of aiming and missing, but in the broader sense that you actually had more shit going on other than the backstab and taunt buttons on melee characters.

Wow introduced a variety of skills and mechanics to the melee classes like combo points, rage for the warriors, which was in fact more action oriented than EQ ever was, while still being a tab targeting game at its core.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I think Smed just turned the corner now in the past few years. He was pretty candid and open with Planetside 2 as well.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I am pledged for $250, and I have no intention of removing it. When the kickstarter fails, I intend to go pledge my $250 on their web site, and I will be signing up for the monthly subscription to the elite forums.

I WANT Pantheon, and I believe in Brad's vision. I will pay the $15 a month to be there in the real forums to make sure to keep my voice heard, and monitor their performance. When they falter, I will make sure they know it.

To me, I am investing in a hobbie that I love. $250 buy in and $15 a month is cheap to be able to be a part of the development of what I spend a good portion of my free time enjoying.

Try offering $250 and $15 a month to the publisher of your favorite tv show to get to be behind the scenes during production and giving advise and comments. See if they ever get back to you.

You people just don't get it. You're comparing this to a normal MMO development process, and it is anything but normal. This is so far out of the realm of how things are done that it's down right revolutionary. There's no doubt that Brad and company are making up the rules as they go because this has never been done like this before. We are in on a new mmorpg BEFORE the design has been finalized. This is every mmorpg geeks wet dream. You all go to mmorpg betas and say this should be like that and so and so, but the reality is that in beta there are next to no design decisions left to be made. This where Pantheon is right now IS when the design decisions are made, and you dipshits are so stupid you can't see it.
And this is why I keep reiterating my point. You EQ diehards are so out of touch that it's comical. Just take a moment to read this to yourself, analyze it, and realize how zealous you sound. EQ, for some of you, might as well be a goddamned religion. It's really frightening to see how much that game absorbed certain people.

I think people's love affair with crowd funding may be coming to an end... Based on the January numbers, projects simply aren't getting funded, regardless of their merit or presentation. Look at this gem that is struggling:

Cradle by Mojo Game Studios Kickstarter
Good, I'm glad consumers are wising up. Let developers go through the risks and pitfalls that everyone else has had to. I'm tired of consumers hedging the risks of companies.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
Good, I'm glad consumers are wising up. Let developers go through the risks and pitfalls that everyone else has had to. I'm tired of consumers hedging the risks of companies.
Getting something funded on kickstarter is going to get harder in the near future. If Garriott and Jacobs both produce garbage it will hurt future projects. If Star Citizen flops it might kill future games outright heh. People have spent thousands on ships already. Getting burnt that bad on a well funded project is going to make people paranoid.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
And there are also millions of car buyers who will swear that the Honda Accord is superior to a Dodge Charger, but I know which car I'd rather drive. To each his own.
Mainly because they are using data and facts to back up their choice...rather than UHMERICA, FUCK YAY!!!

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Currently, if the current backers add an additional $170 to their pledges, Pantheon would meet the funding goal. That also does not include the hype created towards the end of the Kickstarter, where additional funding AND backers will inevitably come.

This will get funded.
Just comming in here to laugh at the idiots crying for an old mechanic mmo. Because once one actually does appear after 10 years of said bitching?You flame it to the ground. Continue hating everyone and continuing bipolar Internet rage.
Just here to laugh at your inability to accept reality.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Do it up man! I know you're working in it.
He is 100% correct.

Hell the terrain isn't even painted well and the prefab of the building is just stuck into the terrain. It isn't blended or grounded to look like it belongs there in any way. 20 minutes is being generous, I'd say more like 5.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
He is 100% correct.

Hell the terrain isn't even painted well and the prefab of the building is just stuck into the terrain. It isn't blended or grounded to look like it belongs there in any way. 20 minutes is being generous, I'd say more like 5.
and still, in only 5 minutes they made a terrain that looks a thousand times better than candy land, i mean EQN...

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
and still, in only 5 minutes they made a terrain that looks a thousand times better than candy land, i mean EQN...
EQN uses voxels so not even remotely comparable.

Those screens aren't good, they are generic shit that looks about 10 years old, using a monotone color pallet.

I want to know what games you guys have been playing for the last few years that you think those graphics are anything even approaching decent. Vanguard was better.

It looks alot like a total war game when you zoom all the way in actually. And not one new ones. Her is a shot from Empire.

74P10Mv.jpg

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
EQN uses voxels so not even remotely comparable.

Those screens aren't good, they are generic shit that looks about 10 years old, using a monotone color pallet.

I want to know what games you guys have been playing for the last few years that you think those graphics are anything even approaching decent. Vanguard was better.
everything you said is true, and yet it still looks better than EQN.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Thats what I meant. Maybe not in a general "action combat" terms of aiming and missing, but in the broader sense that you actually had more shit going on other than the backstab and taunt buttons on melee characters.

Wow introduced a variety of skills and mechanics to the melee classes like combo points, rage for the warriors, which was in fact more action oriented than EQ ever was, while still being a tab targeting game at its core.
Better word would be increased "tempo".

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Those screens look fine. For a pre-alpha build it looks damn good. It just goes to show you what they can pull of in unity in a short period of time. Also comparing that to Vanguard? Really? Have you played it recently? Vanguard compared to those screens is like comparing EQ1 and EQ2 graphics wise.

rrr_img_60465.jpg
rrr_img_60466.jpg

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Wasn't this week supposed to be the big blow out on information for one more final 'push'? So far everything they've put out hasn't moved the needle at all.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Better word would be increased "tempo".
Youre taking your interpretation of what "action" combat is. If you cannot discern between EQs combat and WoWs having more action, than I don't know what else to tell you. It has nothing to do with tempo. Wows combat and EQs combat had pretty much the same tempo although WoW required more input from the user.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Another thing that makes those screenshots look decent is that they're way zoomed out. That always makes things look better -- more epic and hides the details. Still, I agree it would have helped enormously to have had this in the beginning.

I'm still really curious when they're going to pick up someone who can code besides Vu, though.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
On the bar setting goal for Brad, I just wanted to see he could run a lemonade stand without screwing it up. That's all , kept my money in the KS pledge even with napkin scribbling for updates.

At some point , repeated mistakes on a simple idea like a Kickstarter , not referring to lack of game content shown , but very, basic simple shit like being absent for a week then begging on twitter for angel investors, have added up to there's no way even the biggest fan of this can objectively say anyone should have confidence in Brad pulling this off.

There's zero evidence he can manage money or a team. Zero. There's evidence to the contrary from Vanguard to the current Kickstarter.

Common sense has to prevail at some point , and it's nothing about "hating" Brad , it's about looking at a set of facts and forming a reasonable decision.

There are zero facts that can be used to show giving Brad cash to be in charge of will be used well.

Again I would very much enjoy a game like Pantheon (from what I gather , although I still don't know if it has radar or not and I'm not sure they do) , but the general idea of it I would like.

The only way this thing every happens is angel investor with shitloads of money to drop , says here's your millions , here's a CEO who knows what they are doing , they are in charge and you answer to them McQuaid , period.

Without that (and it's not going to happen) , this thing doesn't get made , ever.

Dulldain_sl

shitlord
Wasn't this week supposed to be the big blow out on information for one more final 'push'? So far everything they've put out hasn't moved the needle at all.
Yes, I cant believe it didnt happen. (/sarcasm off) Is honesty really that hard? I am truelly dumbfounded why Brad has a history of not being striaght with the facts, it only makes things worse.