Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Crowdfunding is easy. Chris Roberts has raised over 72,000,000. Just need an experienced, *respected* developer with his finger on the pulse of the industry.

Crowdfunding: The stars are the limit | The Economist

Pretty sure 72m buys a LOT of vicodin.
I disagree. 72 mill was accomplished by one very respected guy who said and showed a lot. He had a great track record and I havent seen anyone compete with his funding level. I doubt we'll ever see that kind of funding again.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
I wish Brad had gotten 72m. I can only imagine the results would have been some of the best entertainment money can buy.
I wonder how much Brad was given from Microsoft. Granted, it's a rounding error for Bill Gates back then, but I doubt things would be different this time around with him once again spending other people's money.

I'm amazed by the coin Star Citizen has raised. It is a genre that many of us grew up on and has been neglected for Sports Franchises and FPS'. I just hope they haven't promised too much.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
this is exactly what would have happened had Brad's KS attained its goal. brad and salem (raoul duke and dr. gonzo) would have vanished into the night and had done god knows what with the money, only to emerge months later to post a rambling message to the Pantheon facebook page about covering 'personal expenses' and 'full-on development mode, p.s. heres a like to my patreon'

speaking of, have you actually seen brad's patreon? its hilarious.

Patreon: Rise of the Fallen

rrr_img_90768.png

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think the project was doomed regardless of how much money they received. There were a lot of issues at the time. That's why I'm dubious of the current team and their ability to succeed. The only chance they have is if Brad really has stepped aside as a leader. Joppa does seem to speak without checking with Brad, which is a good thing. Decisions need to made and sometimes he's just not available or doesn't make very good ones. The more he is in the shadows the better. He still worries me because he's so unpredictable with his thinking. I could see him making a deal what would benefit him first and the team second, imploding the whole thing.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
But isn't Joppa like a part-time musician with zero games development or unity experience, who was a big fan / supporter on their forums and was just elevated to his current status from among a crop of willing volunteers / sycophants?

I could see him making a deal what would benefit him first and the team second, imploding the whole thing.
no shit, given a chance that isexactlywhat he'd do. Given all of the very exaggerated "brad=homeless junkie scumbag" jokes we make on here, his behavior pattern / mentality isn'tthatfar off. He'd make a rash and ultimately detrimental decision with little to no thought put into it just to make some minor personal gains, while harming, or at least giving no consideration to those around him

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
Flex dont lie. If Brad emailed you and was like "hey i heard you liked green moldy eared big assed races. Put them in my game" you would become One of the Fallen in a heartbeat

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm still not sure how exactly Brad is pitching this idea. He is basically saying he's going to make a game for a dying genre which is regressive in nature to try and lure the "hardcore" back home. But the fact of the matter is the "hardcore" person who played EQ 14 hours a day now is a 30 year old man with a mortgage, job, wife and kids. The player base for his game is non-existant. The current crop of gamers don't want what he is selling and the previous crop of gamers are too grown up for what he's selling. There is literally no market for his game.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
I'm still not sure how exactly Brad is pitching this idea. He is basically saying he's going to make a game for a dying genre which is regressive in nature to try and lure the "hardcore" back home. But the fact of the matter is the "hardcore" person who played EQ 14 hours a day now is a 30 year old man with a mortgage, job, wife and kids. The player base for his game is non-existant. The current crop of gamers don't want what he is selling and the previous crop of gamers are too grown up for what he's selling. There is literally no market for his game.
Also many of his ideas are incongruous with his stated goal of making an EQ throw back game focusing on group play. For example, he has stated he doesn't envision people camping one spot for hours at a time.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I don't think camping spawns is necessarily required for a throwback MMO. I imagine his vision is more a focus on small group content via non-instanced (or instanced? dunno his stance on the matter) dungeons and leveling up via groups. Where the modern MMO landscape is pretty much dictated by the majority of the content being able to be played solo and only certain dungeons and raids require grouping -- which happen at max level.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Also many of his ideas are incongruous with his stated goal of making an EQ throw back game focusing on group play. For example, he has stated he doesn't envision people camping one spot for hours at a time.
this. there are funky concepts like "multi colored mana", climate mechanics which require gear changes etc.