Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Its sad too, because had Brad waited a few more years to make Vanguard, he might have been able to actually make a good game with all of the engines and shit available now.
If they could have waited 6 months and made a BD deal with an SSD manufacturer to ship a free vanguard with each SSD, would have been cool. VG on an SSD was the way it was meant to be.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
If they could have waited 6 months and made a BD deal with an SSD manufacturer to ship a free vanguard with each SSD, would have been cool. VG on an SSD was the way it was meant to be.
Nah it still chunked on an ssd. Just not as bad. The engine was crap.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
stumbling through their archives to find a particular strip, I found this gem instead.

rrr_img_101221.jpg

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Game ran nice the last year on my i7 gtx780 with SSD and virtual ram disk. Doesn't mean the engine wasn't shit, though. The engine was shit. The code was shit. Everything about the game was shit but for some pretty brilliant concepts and isolated design in the midst of what was usually shit implementation.

edit: When I say the game, I mean Vanguard. It actually existed.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
What about combat times? EQ is pretty damn slow. I'm not sure I want those slow casting times again. This is the dilemma they will face in thier betas
I don't think anyone likes high APM MMO's.

Go twist 4 songs on a bard for 5+ hours, keep me informed on your enjoyment of the game.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Actually, I'll say with the wizard in EQ, it at least made sense. Big Bang for slow cast and lots of mana. It created the right feel for a high DPS class. They had issues but All classes did and I didn't get caught up with the comparisons to other DPS classes. Never touched melee tho.

Carl_sl

shitlord
I don't think anyone likes high APM MMO's.

Go twist 4 songs on a bard for 5+ hours, keep me informed on your enjoyment of the game.
FF14 has a 2.5 second GCD and it is absolutely INFURIATING as a tank to have dps fucking around and pulling agro and to have to wait that long to be able to fix their stupidity.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
FF14 has a 2.5 second GCD and it is absolutely INFURIATING as a tank to have dps fucking around and pulling agro and to have to wait that long to be able to fix their stupidity.
I hope for you they make taunt stuff refresh 10x as fast! At 10% the current success chance of course, to retain balance.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Actually, I'll say with the wizard in EQ, it at least made sense. Big Bang for slow cast and lots of mana. It created the right feel for a high DPS class. They had issues but All classes did and I didn't get caught up with the comparisons to other DPS classes. Never touched melee tho.
The problem with wizards, and pretty much all casters for at least vanilla and RoK, is that the weapons/armor/items in the game made very little difference to how effective you were at your class. It wasn't until they started adding items with focus, increase in crits, mana reductions, casting time reductions, etc. that the loot in the game really started to impact your caster. Before that, it was just about trying to get a SMR or a phinny robe because they were the prettiest.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
The problem with wizards, and pretty much all casters for at least vanilla and RoK, is that the weapons/armor/items in the game made very little difference to how effective you were at your class. It wasn't until they started adding items with focus, increase in crits, mana reductions, casting time reductions, etc. that the loot in the game really started to impact your caster. Before that, it was just about trying to get a SMR or a phinny robe because they were the prettiest.
Yeah casters didnt gain power via itemization they did through other means. Initially it was from spell research and rare spells.

It's flavor yes and it had it's share of issues but it was interesting conceptually.

JarekStorm_sl

shitlord
Casters were not gear reliant as much as melee in early EQ, but we did want that +Int/mana, as well as Charisma for Enchanters, and stamina for necros.

I remember melee being resentful of this at the time actually, and many complaints of how gear reliant they were. Specifically I recall how casters got new power levels with every spell upgrade, whereas melee were forced to obtain the rarest of gear just to perform effectively.

Now people want their progression tied to items? That's not really an advantage, being dependent upon gear in order to advance. Hell, naked corpse runs were much better as a caster, since even though you had less mana, your spells worked 100% as well with gear or without.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Casters were not gear reliant as much as melee in early EQ, but we did want that +Int/mana, as well as Charisma for Enchanters, and stamina for necros.

I remember melee being resentful of this at the time actually, and many complaints of how gear reliant they were. Specifically I recall how casters got new power levels with every spell upgrade, whereas melee were forced to obtain the rarest of gear just to perform effectively.

Now people want their progression tied to items? That's not really an advantage, being dependent upon gear in order to advance. Hell, naked corpse runs were much better as a caster, since even though you had less mana, your spells worked 100% as well with gear or without.
I guess you forgot what happened after hitting max level and no longer having any way to upgrade your damage as a caster. It's a terrible design choice.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
DAoC (obviously not nearly as PvE centric as EQ) was the absolute worst for end-game casters. All the raid content conned purple (highest) so they'd just resist every spell you'd throw at them. If you did manage to land a spell it would hit for like 8 damage. You'd actually do better DPS just hitting them with your staff. So for that reason unless you were the person organizing the raid as a caster you'd never get invited along because you'd just be another body to heal and you'd do the same damage as a level 1 melee class. It was somewhat frustrating because the only means to respec in DAoC was to kill the continent's dragon and as a caster you'd hope to just be drug along as dead weight. Things got better when I realized I should just roll a melee class as well and just trade stuff away to my Enchanter whom I preferred playing.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah it was dumb and was a big reason their Trials of Atlantis expansion was so, so unsuccessful. Not only did it require PvE to compete in PvP but the way they handled endgame PvE was abysmal. It would have probably solved many issues if they just made raid content con Orange (basically 1-2 levels above) and scale the HP appropriately. But they seemed to make them want to con purple to discourage anyone from trying to solo the content. But with the way spell resists worked based upon conning it made casters absolutely worthless to anything but cleaning up some Orange adds.

JarekStorm_sl

shitlord
I guess you forgot what happened after hitting max level and no longer having any way to upgrade your damage as a caster. It's a terrible design choice.
You don't need items to enhance caster damage if the damage was set correctly to begin with. I suppose you could nerf caster damage and allow for artificial means of increasing it through itemization, but that's literally creating a problem in order to implement the solution. It does give more shinies to chase though.

I was an Enchanter, so mostly I was concerned with Int/mana, charisma, and resist gear. I will say though, that I prefer playing a "finished" character rather than always having more carrot to chase. Leveling and building a character is really fun, but I like to feel "complete," at least for a while until the next expansion.

I preferred EQ when everyone had pretty much the same gear and skills, so that player ability was what set you apart from the crowd rather than having 10,000AA.

On an unrelated topic, is that Pantheon game finished yet?

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Agreed. And the +int/wis/mana really didn't make a whole hell of a lot of difference in terms of casting. In a top tier raid with top tier items, it literally was probably like 2 more casts worth of mana compared to someone with inferior gear. Most of the +mana stuff before the very end of ROK was usually between +10 and +25 mana. Whereas melee could get a CoF or girdle and dramatically increase their haste or a really good speed/dmg item along with better armor and there would be a significant difference in their ability to tank/dps.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
You guys are forgetting that he was talking about Original/Kunark, where caster's were balanced to melee with end game gear, not the other way around.

implemented correctly it's fine as a design choice.