Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Not a good look for old McQuaid, no doubt. You never want your hair looking like a toupee.

Guess he's too busy making Pantheon to give a fuck :emoji_grin:

Oh, he gives a fuck. No man wears such a ridiculous 'do(real or not) without caring. At least we know the starter level rats are easy enough to kill and skin.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Oh, he gives a fuck. No man wears such a ridiculous 'do(real or not) without caring. At least we know the starter level rats are easy enough to kill and skin.

As long as the snakes kick, I'll be happy.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
source.gif
bristle.png

• 14Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 16 users

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've looked all over the site and forums but can't find anything concrete about when Alpha/Beta/Release are? Can someone point me to something other than the vague reference in the FAQ that mentions 2017?

forehead

Trakanon Raider
I've looked all over the site and forums but can't find anything concrete about when Alpha/Beta/Release are? Can someone point me to something other than the vague reference in the FAQ that mentions 2017?
Can't point to something that doesn't exist.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
If there is something real here ... and we have seen some decent footage now... When is Daybreak going to invest in this and name this EQ3. Is Daybreak even doing anything for an EQ successor yet ? Interestingly, Daybreak is publishing for Standing Stone games ( DDO, LOTRO ) .

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
If there is something real here ... and we have seen some decent footage now... When is Daybreak going to invest in this and name this EQ3. Is Daybreak even doing anything for an EQ successor yet ? Interestingly, Daybreak is publishing for Standing Stone games ( DDO, LOTRO ) .

That's assuming they want to be published by DBG. I would think so (the benefits could be significant) but who knows. Ceding control over your game in that way can have negative consequences too- as we learned at Sigil.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
That's assuming they want to be published by DBG. I would think so (the benefits could be significant) but who knows. Ceding control over your game in that way can have negative consequences too- as we learned at Sigil.

Sigil didn't cede anything, it has no one to blame but itself.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
There haven't announced anything concrete yet. I think the last stream said they wanted to be in Alpha by the middle or end of this year, but i really don't remember and could be wrong.

Last edited:

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Sigil didn't cede anything, it has no one to blame but itself.

Sigil used SOE as a publisher and as a result it made some things difficult. Obviously, it was their choice to use SOE to publish (you could argue they didn't have a choice maybe). There is no doubt that Sigil has no one to blame itself, but blame isn't my point.

I'm speaking, broadly, about the advantages of keeping as much "in house" as you can.

Thlayli

Lord Nagafen Raider
Pretty sure they used SOE as a publisher after Microsoft Game Studios (original publisher) dumped them cause Brad was burning through cash like a California wildfire.

Seems hard to self-publish if you aren't one of the big boys, although maybe costs for server infrastructure and stuff have gone down enough to make it more viable now. But have we really seen any indie studio MMOs make it big yet?

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I think they said Microsoft was shifting a lot of it's focus to console games at the time.

I hope they get major funding somwhere but I fucking hope it's not DBG. It would be cool for Pantheon to have actual customer service for at least like six months.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider

I just want the thing released ;)

Zaide

TLP Idealist
"Anyway, enough said -- again, for those of you who may not have looked into the game for some time, please take a moment to do so -- I think you'll be impressed. Get on the forums, whether our own, or those at MMORPG.com and elsewhere, and give us your impressions, ask questions, and interact with the dev team. Another twitch stream is coming your way in just a few months. More screenshots and details about the game are consistently revealed. Thank you for your time and we look forward to you becoming part of the growing Pantheon community!"

That's from Brad's update on the Kickstarter page. FML a few more months for the next stream.

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
i've maintained that they need to do this right and doing it right will take time but even I am disappointed the next stream is several months out.

They showed very solid progress from stream 1 to the December stream with Cohh and that was a 5-6 month timeframe between them. Player expectations will only go up from here so they need to continue to show good progress, especially with another 5-6 months of development. Showing new areas we haven't seen yet is good but I also expect to see more systems/mechanics in action as well as more classes by the time June/July rolls around.

Dalven

Saor Alba
<Donor>
10/10 for ambition, it's a shame it'll be in development for another two years. It's certainly been bizarre watching this turn from a trainwreck into a viable venture, surely they've come far enough now that they'll push something out the door eventually.

Also wasn't their original kicktarter goal in the 700 grand region? Brad's saying they've passed that and I would never have thought they could have pull in that amount, even over two years.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
with the rate at which digital technology advances, they're going to run into issues going so slow...

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
with the rate at which digital technology advances, they're going to run into issues going so slow...

Yeah, it's kind of funny. The life cycle of a making a game- especially an mmo- is such that by the time you release the tech you started with is 5+ years old- which is pretty much geriatric when it comes to digital tech.

I wrote a long (probably dull) essay once on how to shorten the life cycle of creating an mmo (or any large scale rpg). Not going to bore everyone with the details, but the gist was that there is an enormous amount of work you can do before you start programming/art stuff.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about it in this case. Most of the target audience for Pantheon isn't going to complain if the tech is a little dated.