Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Shit, i would be happy for a game like Vanilla WoW too.....not as happy as a game like EQ though.
Call me nuts but I'd rather go back to Legion than play another vanilla WoW go thru. I loved classic WoW and all tho, trust me.

Neither are going to replace holing up in some non instanced dungeon with pals getting ready for an enemy group to zone in and attack us tho.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Shit, i would be happy for a game like Vanilla WoW too.....not as happy as a game like EQ though.

I somewhat agree. I still think Vanilla was the best MMO ever made but EQ was the original in many things for me. Now, if someone had made EQ with the smooth gameplay, bug fixes, and amazing support from Blizzard? Now, that's heaven. I loved EQ but it was a broke ass game with the shittiest support ever. I also hated their fucking money grab expansions. Won't fix shit but a paid expansion at least every 6 months? On top of it....

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Raign

Golden Squire
I somewhat agree. I still think Vanilla was the best MMO ever made but EQ was the original in many things for me. Now, if someone had made EQ with the smooth gameplay, bug fixes, and amazing support from Blizzard? Now, that's heaven. I loved EQ but it was a broke ass game with the shittiest support ever. I also hated their fucking money grab expansions. Won't fix shit but a paid expansion at least every 6 months? On top of it....

Definitely. Eq was great for the open world, the pace of leveling, the challenge/ difficulty level, nuances like different factions actually mattering rather than just being another grind, but the actual gameplay in WoW was much more engaging and enjoyable. Give me the best of both those worlds and I would likely be fired and divorced, but I would be awful happy.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

kudos

<Banned>
Bugs and broken things is what made EQ interesting. WoW was broken as shit too originally. People seem to forget all of the PVP exploits and broken ways of winning bg's because of some terrain exploit. I got Grand Marshal on my original rogue by just winning AV every 40 min exploiting the GY flag bug.

Raign

Golden Squire
Bugs and broken things is what made EQ interesting. WoW was broken as shit too originally. People seem to forget all of the PVP exploits and broken ways of winning bg's because of some terrain exploit. I got Grand Marshal on my original rogue by just winning AV every 40 min exploiting the GY flag bug.

Wow vanilla had a lot of buggy shit as well, no question. For me it was more about the game play / mechanics. I know lots of people liked multiboxing because of the simplicity of some of the EQ classes, but it definitely did not appeal to me. I am not saying class design was better in WoW, but the mechanics of the classes definitely was and (for the most part) actually required you to play. The difference between a good dps, a good healer, a good tank were far more tangible than they were in EQ. There were exceptions obviously -- EQ Enchanter was as engaging as most of the WoW class, but that was a fringe exception.

Some people will argue that it was the slow pace that made EQ a social game, and I agree to some extent - but the downtime needed to be more balanced out across classes. Keep the downtime/ social between combats, but the fact that so many classes spent half of every fight sitting and medding, to only stand, hit one button, then sit back down was tired game-play and resulted in those classes getting turned into bots.

In any event I am going to stop shitting up this thread with EQ / WoW crap. It will be interesting to see what they reveal in the stream on the 27th. The last couple have looked decent, but their progress seems glacial.

• 1Like

kudos

<Banned>
How much of a difference would your the overall opinion of classic EQ had been if the out of combat regen they have in now was in at the beginning?

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Wow game play had its pluses and minuses. In a lot of ways yes it was more refined, but it was also too refined in my opinion. Most things could be solo'd by any class, and if shit hit the fan you just ran away till whatever leashed away and rinsed/repeat. Also in Eq there were things like handing out high level buffs and making a noobs day, finding someones corpse and tossing them a res when they thought they had to hump it back, breaking a zone for a group/raid wipe, etc. With Wow you knew what you were logging into on a daily basis, with Eq there was always something a little different.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
Ran into something coo. Using it for my client/server stuff for a Geolocation/AR game on mobile devices.

GitHub - alvyxaz/barebones-masterserver: Master Server framework for Unity

Develop, run and debug your back-end server like a regular Unity game, within editor. No tedious multi-language setups, no third party services with monthly subscriptions, no cap on CCU or traffic, host on win and linux VPS, full source code - even if I die, you move forward. Based on socket connections (think Photon Server, just without caps and monthly payments).

image.jpg

Dullahan

Golden Knight of the Realm
How much of a difference would your the overall opinion of classic EQ had been if the out of combat regen they have in now was in at the beginning?
That out of combat regen destroys most of what made EQ combat exciting. While we can all agree that like dying, resting isn't "fun", but that you had to rest is what made resource management more important, and introduced the never ending battle for greater efficiency that made combat compelling. Without having to worry about downtime, you obliterate so much of the strategy involved in survival. Finding safe corners to fight in, knowing when to advance or hunker down, tracking respawn times and being cautious of roamers -- basically all of those things that made EQ combat intense go out the window when you eliminate downtime.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users
Out of combat regen should have been in from the start, but it should be slower. Between then and now, go down the middle. SOE took this game from one extreme to the other. I play real EQ sometimes and they made so many changes. Some of them are very good, but some of them killed what made EQ unique. They also dumbed it down far too much. At any level, any mob can drop nice loot now called Defiant gear, it is a decent idea and it works well for the game because you can't fill all your slots with decent gear unless you grind through 50+ levels because the itemisation was so spotty. But the Defiant gear is just too powerful. They went from newbies wearing earrings with +2 Wis or whatever, or just empty slots, to earrings you can buy from an NPC with +15 to every stat and +40 hp and mana etc. And you can get items like that for every slot. Verant were stingy assholes and SOE just give everything away and ruin the challenge.

The regen in the old days was too slow. I didn't mind it as a Necro with my decent mana regen and ability to heal from lifetaps, but with other classes it was a good 5 minutes to med up and there is nothing to do in that time. A game that makes you regularly want to go AFK or alt tab is just not good design. Now you sit and a minute later any character is full from 0%. They should have split that down the middle too.

I always thought this shit was common sense but apparently game developers have none of that. Even Vanguard often went too far in both directions.

• 3Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well, new Twitch stream coming on Friday. Those have been incredibly effective in proving what they are working on and seeing their concepts in practice. IMO, the Twitch streams are pretty revolutionary for game development. It will be interesting to see if other companies do the same in the future.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Well, new Twitch stream coming on Friday. Those have been incredibly effective in proving what they are working on and seeing their concepts in practice. IMO, the Twitch streams are pretty revolutionary for game development. It will be interesting to see if other companies do the same in the future.
Thursday, not Friday....guess you could wait to til Friday to watch it.

arallu

Golden Knight of the Realm
So what sites should be hope will return to their former glory?

Allakhazam's Pantheon Realm
PantheonLore
PantheonLizer
PantheonMaps
Pantheon Casters Realm
Pantheon Vault

....thinking of this though makes me very upset they named this game something that can't be cleverly abbreviated for the sake of marketing and such.

PNL'izer

• 1Like

Raign

Golden Squire
Heres something new, according to Brad on his FB account VRI now has an office in North San Diego County. Some team members to be relocating to area when next round of funding comes in.

I'm a Canuck so forgive me if I am totally off base here, but isn't that where their current office is? Honestly, I am not sure why any dev. company that has to dig and scratch to make rent would pick the California coast to set up shop -- sure the talent is there, but there are lots of more reasonable (cost wise) locations with an excellent talent pool.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to live there myself, just seems like a financially unwise location unless you have a very solid cash flow.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm a Canuck so forgive me if I am totally off base here, but isn't that where their current office is? Honestly, I am not sure why any dev. company that has to dig and scratch to make rent would pick the California coast to set up shop -- sure the talent is there, but there are lots of more reasonable (cost wise) locations with an excellent talent pool.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to live there myself, just seems like a financially unwise location unless you have a very solid cash flow.

North County San Diego is a very silly place to have a game company, financially speaking. It was also the best place I've ever lived, so... I guess it depends on your priorities.