Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

zero_name

Golden Knight of the Realm
Glacial is the speed you work at without the budget to hire a team of devs. In 2002 or whenever this project started, I wouldn’t have believed anyone that told me it’d still be a project in 2018.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Talisker & Avair designed and redesigned a huge chunk of the Vanguard classes and both of them came from Everquest. A huge part IMO of the fun of those classes is that they listened directly to the community via players who were "Class Leads" and via extensive testing with those leads. I haven't seen another game personally with classes like Bloodmages (DPS Healers) and Disciples (DPS Healers + buffers) which were so original and different.

I see people from the VG team for example like Ceythos who were really cool guys to talk to back then when they were just GM's and starting to be Devs. Having people who have been through the struggle like these EQ and Vanguard Devs if anything makes them imo more aware of past mistakes and lets them bring the experience they gained making Vanguard playable and fun into a new game from a shit pile when it released. Its not like every single person who works for Pantheon smoked GD Oxy's, it was one person.

I'd rather have someone on my team whose been into the trenches and conquered adversity versus someone whose only dealt with perfect scenarios and rainbows.

While I don’t disagree those classes were well designed, I think their popularity stemmed from the fact they were both OP as fuck. Just an observation. In fact most OP classes tend to be popular in every game.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
C752AFF5-1937-4A41-8129-9151234760FB.gif

• 15Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 15 users

Dalien

Registered Hodor
Looks like they are doing another live stream on Sunday:

We welcome back our friend @cohhcarnage to check out some of our latest updates with a fun stream so be sure to tune in on Sunday, 18th March at 11 am PDT to see what he thinks!

Find it on our official channel

Someone get @a_skeleton_02 up in here to troll this shit.

Nullify

Trakanon Raider
In addition to the Cohh stream they announced another stream scheduled Tuesday at 8 PM PDT featuring Halnir Cave on this guy's Twitch:

The latest screenshots don't look half bad, it'll be interesting to finally see these zones live. Hopefully this is an indicator that they're picking up the pace with releasing more development info and gameplay footage - one stream every 6 months just wasn't cutting it.

imready2go

WTF is a Raider?
<Gold Donor>
Talisker & Avair designed and redesigned a huge chunk of the Vanguard classes and both of them came from Everquest. A huge part IMO of the fun of those classes is that they listened directly to the community via players who were "Class Leads" and via extensive testing with those leads. I haven't seen another game personally with classes like Bloodmages (DPS Healers) and Disciples (DPS Healers + buffers) which were so original and different.

All well and good, and I agree with your overall point - but, it only worked when you had good class leads. Rangers had some dumb bitch class lead who thought Rangers should also be healers. And since she was sleeping with the dev in charge (LOL fucking Vanguard), she pushed to turn the class into some horrible dps/heal hybrid. It didn't destroy the class, but certainly did them no favors.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
While I don’t disagree those classes were well designed, I think their popularity stemmed from the fact they were both OP as fuck. Just an observation. In fact most OP classes tend to be popular in every game.

They were OP in raid environments and grouping for sure but not alone. DK / Necros were the most OP classes by far in the game soloing group content. Sorcerer's well only one in my guild also did insane shit quad kiting style like EQ so who knows, anything is possible.

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
They were OP in raid environments and grouping for sure but not alone. DK / Necros were the most OP classes by far in the game soloing group content. Sorcerer's well only one in my guild also did insane shit quad kiting style like EQ so who knows, anything is possible.

I played around a year or so before it was shut down and at that point I don’t remember any classes being stupid op’d or being awful. The point of classes excelling in different situations is valid, DK was a solo beast. I still maintain that VG as of the year prior to it shutting down was the superior MMO on the market. Vanilla wow is probably the title holder but it was well into the expansions and barreling towards the shit show it is today by the point I even started playing VG.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I played around a year or so before it was shut down and at that point I don’t remember any classes being stupid op’d or being awful. The point of classes excelling in different situations is valid, DK was a solo beast. I still maintain that VG as of the year prior to it shutting down was the superior MMO on the market. Vanilla wow is probably the title holder but it was well into the expansions and barreling towards the shit show it is today by the point I even started playing VG.
As a DK you could literally just round 20+ mobs and use your aoe lifetap to mow down entire zones.

If you had a healer to keep you afloat forget it.

Shaman and Cleric were best vs. 6-dot solo, though, I believe.

Raponchi

Frog
<Donor>
Vanguard did have some nice dungeons, Ruins of Trengal Keep. Think we spent hours in that place. I think it had this quest that had you collect certain things, so you had to keep coming back or something. Long time ago, but was fun and the atmosphere and settings were cool. Ah and frog leaping as a monk was the shit.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
He announced it in Sept 2013. They had pre-alpha footage in January of 2014 showing combat. The game must have been in development for at least a year at that point.

It sure as fuck didn’t look like it. I don’t think you understand how fast that garbage could be thrown together in unity.

SLASH

• 1Solidarity

Raign

Golden Squire
It sure as fuck didn’t look like it. I don’t think you understand how fast that garbage could be thrown together in unity.

SLASH

Well to be fair, much of that time was him trying to figure out how to keep from bankruptcy and finding a new dealer who would give him coke on credit, rather than making the game. That said, they SEEM to be somewhat on track now.. for a 2021 ish.. release

• 1Worf