Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
OMfg...
tenor.gif

• 8Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 9 users

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
"Literally sold to them without them knowing... blah blah". More fantasies that you have based your life view on.

How about you get actual facts from the business people who did the deal? Not some plebe who made coffee. Or perhaps you should talk to the people putting up the venture capital behind Pantheon. I'm sure you would get a much different story. Or didn't you know that Pantheon is backed by more than just kickstarter money?

But go ahead and repeat the same fantasies you all have been repeating to each other for years. You wouldn't want to think for yourselves.
Did you know the forum has a quote function?

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
Vanguard ran for how long? Like a decade , right? Pretty sure that's not considered a failure.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Picard
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
"Literally sold to them without them knowing... blah blah". More fantasies that you have based your life view on.

How about you get actual facts from the business people who did the deal? Not some plebe who made coffee. Or perhaps you should talk to the people putting up the venture capital behind Pantheon. I'm sure you would get a much different story. Or didn't you know that Pantheon is backed by more than just kickstarter money?

But go ahead and repeat the same fantasies you all have been repeating to each other for years. You wouldn't want to think for yourselves.

Sorry, I didn't realize quoting Smedley was my "life views".

Fucking retard. You are the target audience for Pantheon for sure.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sorry, I didn't realize quoting Smedley was my "life views".

Fucking retard. You are the target audience for Pantheon for sure.

You admit to not understanding the first thing about business and call me names? Nice.

Q: We saw Vanguard go through a tough launch period last year - how do you feel the game has developed since then?

John Smedley: Actually Vanguard has been doing quite well, and since the team has been moved down here to our San Diego office, we've been rocking and rolling on it, we're real pleased with it.

It was a bit of a rocky road at first, but we've sold a few hundred thousand units of the game, and it's doing quite well.

No need to belabor this. I made my point. I do hope Pantheon is a good game and is a success. But I don't have a crystal ball. We'll see.

• 1Salty
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Vanguard ran for how long? Like a decade , right? Pretty sure that's not considered a failure.

Are you implying that either Microsoft, or SOE, made any kind of a profit from Vanguard? Pretty sure that's considered fucking hilarious.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Are you implying that either Microsoft, or SOE, made any kind of a profit from Vanguard? Pretty sure that's considered fucking hilarious.

Lol. Right, they ran it for 10 years just so they could throw money away. Lol, you people really do need to take some basic business classes.

• 3Picard
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 5 users

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Lol. Right, Microsoft kept Sigil on the payroll for five years just so they could throw money away. Lol, those people at Microsoft really do need to take some basic business classes.

Since you're so much smarter and better at business than those dummies at Microsoft, then maybe you can tell us how much of a profit Vanguard ended up being?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
God, what an employee comment. I’m with zaide on this one. Go try to actually start a business and see how you do. Silicon Valley actually likes failures because they have seen the other side

Haha now that's a new one. An "employee comment". And the above quote is what? An "Entrepreneur comment"?

It's always interesting watching people justify failures. Their own or otherwise. "People actually like failures. In fact over in Silicon Valley, the tech capital of the world, they prefer them!".

The type of person who will build a wall of consolation prizes and call them trophies. "Let's see you try it!". As if I need to be a chef to criticize the food at a restaurant.

I realize that a_skeleton_03 was just playing devil's advocate but the idea that a 50% rate of success qualifies someone as successful is ridiculous. Failing just a little better than all the other failures doesn't make you a success.

• 1Picard

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Since you're so much smarter and better at business than those dummies at Microsoft, then maybe you can tell us how much of a profit Vanguard ended up being?

sInCe YoUr So SmArT tHeN sHoW uS mIcRoSoFt FiNaNcIaL sTaTeMeNtS tHeN

• 2Worf

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>

Seven years...or one year longer than that giant success called Shadowbane and one year less than City of Heroes. Just as a comparison, the 'hugely' successful Horizons game is still up as Istaria...15 years later. So...Vanguard wasn't even as good as Horizons but very successful. Very!

• 2Worf

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
sInCe YoUr So SmArT tHeN sHoW uS mIcRoSoFt FiNaNcIaL sTaTeMeNtS tHeN

Brad McQuaid Interview on the end of Sigil

Brad McFail said:
Everquest cost 8 million dollars, WoW cost 80 Million. Jesus

We could call Vanguard somewhere between EQ and WoW, or 44 Million, as a ballpark figure. Or if you want to be generous to Vanguard, the number I was googling for a source for was the 30 million figure that everyone was talking about ten years ago.

The widely reported number of box sales is 242,000.

If you think there's any way that Vanguard made more money than it cost, go ahead and come up with some numbers that support that whopper. I'm sure everyone would love to laugh at how bad you are at multiplication and addition and subtraction.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
I bought Vanguard at launch, but I'm pretty sure I didn't maintain a sub past the free month.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Usually, if you don't make a profit from something, you shut it down. Earth & Beyond was shut down 2 years after launch because it was not profitable. I'm pretty sure Vanguard was profitable enough that it could be sustained for a long time. They simply cut costs enough to keep it viable at his low numbers.

If you want to consider failures, I'd argue that there are 3 ranks of failures:

- Failure of the first order: you don't even survive to launch (Copernicus, EQN)
- Failure of the second order: you launch, and shut down within 4-5 years (E&B, WHO, TMO)
- Failure of the third order: you launch, and have to completely restructure before 3-4 years, and fail before 10 (SWG, Vanguard)

• 2Like

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Where are the fanbois shitting on Stylized artwork? Look at those character models and tell me they aren't stylized to affect a more cartoonish vibe. Please, Pantheon faithful. Shit on this travesty with the power you know you wield.

Character artwork doesn't match up with landscape artwork. Placeholders, maybe?

• 1Worf

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I honestly couldn't give a crap about how the game looks as long as it's a good game. How many of us are tolerating, maybe even enjoying, Agnarr with old models right now? Sure there is some nostalgia to it but ultimately we are pretty tolerant about the game's appearance as long as it's facilitates a place for our kind of players. Again, I think this game all comes down to who they listen to upon release and then in the first 3-6 months worth of patches. The game looks great in my opinion thus far but just how similar will it be to EQ, i'm not sure and probably way to early to say. I wish Brad would toss out a zone/region map soon. I think we got the one below about 2-ish years ago? How many of those areas are in game? How will travel take place? Will I have boats? Player ports? I swear if I just "queue up" to be instantly transported to a dungeon or anywhere else i'll freak out. If I wanted a game like that, I'll back and play Diablo. I don't mind to be ported around as long as it's part of the game and not part of the interface. Players need to be a central part of all mechanics. If you say that no one wants to wait on this, or do that, I think you're wrong. I want a MMORPG not a RPG. You can have modern features without it becoming like a FPS waiting on matchmaking to take place to port you into a game. I'm derailing myself but back to the point, do we have an update on just how much has been fleshed out on the map below?

atlas-hi-res.jpg

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I'm derailing myself but back to the point, do we have an update on just how much has been fleshed out on the map below?

I think we've had 100% confirmation on the following zones:
Thronefast
Avendyr's Pass
Halnir Cave
Amberfaet
South Saol
Wild's End
Joku Dah (Tower of the Reckless Magician)
Union of Shadow

There is also speculation that Black Dagger Keep is it's own zone and I think that Elven home city is in progress atm.

Much like the original EQ map, I wouldn't be surprised if we did not see all the named areas on that map materialize into zones by launch.

• 1Like