Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Anything new from this?

I stopped caring when they wheeled out Cohh to dick suck a Giant 3D door on his stream.

Could be worse. It could have been a giant 3D gate, the worst portal of them all.

Also, Cohh is just another delusional EQ vet pining for the old days. He hasn't had the benefit of the fires of fires of heaven purging the optimism out of him like the folks around here.

Mat'hir Uth Gan

Trakanon Raider
Found this recent quote by Kilsin over on the Pantheon boards interesting...

"Alpha should be next year sometime but we don't have any more accurate info than that, it all depends on how these pre-alphas go and what hurdles we may hit during development/test. Once we get into the new year we will have a better understanding, but again, we will announce it once it is getting close to make sure no one misses out and everyone can plan ahead for it."

Seems pretty obvious this game is taking way longer to develop then originally thought. Although I guess that's pretty standard. Sounds like there are still multiple phases of pre-alpha to go. Many people were speculating that this upcoming pre-alpha phase (whatever the hell number that is) would be the last. Not sounding like that to me. Doesn't sound like they are even willing to commit to Alpha next year at this point, let alone "early" next year. Beta and launch seem pretty far away to me. 2022 launch, maybe? Is it just me, or does that seem like an insane development time?

Alpha will start once the first continent, Kingsreach, is finished, along with all classes implemented, and all abilities/spells implemented up to level 40. This next phase, slated to start this fall, Pre Alpha 4, should have all classes implemented and all abilities/skills up to level 40. That's what they've been working on the majority of this year, the classes and the abilities. Once they get that squared away, they said they will start focusing on world building and churning out the zones. They just hired or are in the process of hiring four new artists and animators for this purpose.

This game was scrapped from the Kickstarter, as in absolutely dead. One of the programmers that rejoined the team last year said as much in an interview. They scrapped the original game, minus some lore aspects, and completely rebuilt everything. It's only been in development about 2-3 years. Shortly after Chris Perkins took over is when the project was brought back to life.

As of right now, some classes are in excellent shape, the Dire Lord, Enchanter, Rogue, and Shaman specifically. The other classes are in various stages of being refined and the hope is will be in great shape this coming Pre-Alpha with all the class and ability changes. The Summoner and Druid will have their reveal this next Pre-Alpha, so it may be a bit until they are squared away. Maybe they've been working on the Bard and Necro secretly as well, but nobody is expecting them anytime soon. Harvesting also gets its first look in PA4.

My guess would be Alpha in Summer of 2019. Release late 2020 or sometime in 2021. A lot depends on how fast they move once they focus all their attention on world building. Theoretically, it should go pretty quick. They are molasses slow and overly detailed though, but if it gets done correctly, I guess it's worth it.

The big news as of late is that the game has seen significant investment, at least enough to secure Series B funding, and is now only supplementarily crowd funded. It hasn't been revealed how much or who the big investors are.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
While I appreciate that update and wish teams would say essentially exactly what you said, 2020/2021 could possibly make this look/feel even more dated than some have already expressed. In that time, it's difficult to say what the interest will be at that point or even what games will be on the market. I know they can't just push it out the door but I believe their worst enemy has been themselves. They really hurt themselves that first year and forced to walk uphill ever since.

It's a shame this version of the game couldn't have been what we were shown that first time. I think they need to release late 2019 or very early 2020 for this not to suffer a bit. That's strictly my opinion though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
It hasn't been revealed how much or who the big investors are.

SOE-CEO-John-Smedley.jpg

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
There are numerous stories of agents exploiting bugs in games or working out ingenious shortcuts to earn points quickly without actually completing the task properly.

point +1 Tyen, ML in Pantheon

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
... It's only been in development about 2-3 years...

Well it definitely hasn't been 2 years because its been almost 2 years now since their first stream with Cohh Carnage. We can safely say at least 3. That's the thing - that first stream actually looked decent, they showed off the icy vertical dungeon for the first time, and it was like wow they're making fast progress on this? But they haven't added much to impress since then. Hopefully they've made a lot of progress in the base game, and the world-building will go quickly once that's done as you say, but based on history..

If they're saying Alpha sometime next year? That makes me think Alpha 2020 the way they've been progressing the last couple years.

• 1Like

Zefah

<Gold Donor>
Glad to hear the game found some stable funding. I'm still cautiously optimistic that this thing will come together and be the kind of EverQuest-style game that I've been looking for. I know it will be super niche, but that's fine with me at this point.

Adinirahc

Trakanon Raider
Well it definitely hasn't been 2 years because its been almost 2 years now since their first stream with Cohh Carnage. We can safely say at least 3. That's the thing - that first stream actually looked decent, they showed off the icy vertical dungeon for the first time, and it was like wow they're making fast progress on this? But they haven't added much to impress since then. Hopefully they've made a lot of progress in the base game, and the world-building will go quickly once that's done as you say, but based on history..

If they're saying Alpha sometime next year? That makes me think Alpha 2020 the way they've been progressing the last couple years.

Totally agree with this. I wouldn't really call myself a Brad hater, but he has been consistently overly optimistic about the development timeline of this game.

At the 23:10 mark in the below stream he says Q1/Q2 2017 for pre-alpha and seems to imply that the entire continent of Kings Reach would be ready then. I don't see how in the hell he could have thought that, at that point in development... It is what it is, but I often get the impression that he knowingly over hypes shit.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Doing "show and tell" demos for the general public takes a surprising amount of time and effort. They would be smarter to focus 100% of their time and resources on the game itself. If the game is good when you are ready for alpha and beta, that's all the hype and press you need. If it isn't, no amount of scripted demos are going to save you.

• 1Like

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
they would be smart to just release the game with unity store assets but you guys cried so hard about it that brad has to take 10yrs of free 3d work to get it done

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
MMOs usually take 7 years even with a full development team. This is going to take a long ass time. :( Wish I were a multi-millionare, I'd try to help with funding so long as someone that isn't Brad is managing it (the money).

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
I don’t know if this is a factor or not, but my understanding is they are using aws for hosting the game. That means opening alpha etc would increase player count server load and their bill from amazon. With how long they will be in alpha / beta I could see the players getting on early actually significantly hurting them financially. I wouldn’t launch alpha or beta until like the last 3/6 months before I’m ready to launch the game for realsies.

• 2Like

Mat'hir Uth Gan

Trakanon Raider
I don’t know if this is a factor or not, but my understanding is they are using aws for hosting the game. That means opening alpha etc would increase player count server load and their bill from amazon. With how long they will be in alpha / beta I could see the players getting on early actually significantly hurting them financially. I wouldn’t launch alpha or beta until like the last 3/6 months before I’m ready to launch the game for realsies.

That's an interesting point for consideration.

The way they've ran the Pre-Alpha builds to this point is seemingly in yearly quarters. Each quarter, they spend three months making improvements and then open the servers up for about 30 days, give or take a few. Now, I don't know if the servers are up 24/7 during the play test period, but I would guess not. They seem to be heavily limiting the testing play time. And I would expect them to continue to do that for Alpha. So, they could have a year long Alpha like they've stated they will, BUT the servers will only be up roughly three months of that time, if that.

I believe they will have to have the year long Alpha because they've stated they want the two other continents finished prior to Beta. That's a lot of world building and testing. I believe the continent of Reignfall is next, it will be interesting to see if they move the pre-alpha testers to that continent and just leave the Alpha testers on kingsreach to get data on bottlenecks and general progression data under a relatively heavy population.

• 2Like

Siliconemelons

If they host it with AWS they should also do a NVidia go type thing, pay sub+5$ and you get the game ran and streamed from the servers- any device can play it.

Letsinod

Lord Nagafen Raider
MMOs usually take 7 years even with a full development team. This is going to take a long ass time. :( Wish I were a multi-millionare, I'd try to help with funding so long as someone that isn't Brad is managing it (the money).

Uhhh...huh? WoW took 4 years, ESO 4, VG 4, EQ 3, EvE, 3, to name a few I know. This shitshow won't be ready in 10