Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
If they totally rebooted the game, that's the fucking nail in the coffin. That extends the release of this game at least another 2 years minimum, and probably more like 3 or 4. I can't think anyone will even care or remember Pantheon at that point.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Where the joppa simps at?

Dude has wasted away millions of dollars. Keeps putting his own work in the literal trash bin because he got another handout. Best MMO director ever.

Say what you will about Ion, but he at least ships shit ensuring ROI for his corporate overlords.

Mat'hir Uth Gan

Trakanon Raider
Any particular reason they reboot the game? Lot of ppl will be happy to play the EQ style MMO with upgraded graphic.

No idea. General consensus seemed to be that the Pre-Alpha testers thought it had a good EQ1 feel and was on the right path. For whatever reason, Project Faerthale ended up being a reboot, that was two years ago. All classes have been changed to a node based ability system, right now just the Shaman and Dire Lord are close to implemented fully. The Mastery AA system was thought up and added. Class synergy and combo system was added in. Climbing was made the central theme of the game, which then necessitated going back and redoing all the previous zones that were developed before that concept became the end-all, be-all. Black Rose Keep getting completely overhauled after having fantastic reviews is the poster child...gotta make everything vertical based now. The Perception system was ovarhauled and redone. Combat in general has been overhauled and redone. That was probably needed, I guess you could argue that for many of these. They just simply decided to take the game down for two years, change the direction away from an EQ1 spiritual successor, and make a new proof of concept for the new game. They did keep a bit of the original design ideas with dispositions, acclimations, etc... Joppa has been very clear lately that this game is not EQ1, they seem to think their team of 10 people can make a genre bending AAA MMO. I have no idea who asked them to do this or who is paying for it. Some of the new ideas are good, the graphics look nice, the game might not be bad, but who knows when they can finish it at this pace and who knows what the end product will play like. It ain't going to be EQ1 though apparently, for better or worse.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Argarth

On the verandah
giphy-downsized-large.gif

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Good lord, I could have done so much with the money they've spent so far and had such a better return. Ravishing Ravishing is one person and has put forth more of a game than them.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Let's be honest here. This is just game designer welfare at this point. They do enough 'cool new things' to steal money from some poor loser and then just rehash the con every few years. It's been 6 years and the 2016 implementation was the closest it's been to a functional game. The last 4 years has been spent looking for the next sucker. I expect the same for the next 4,etc, etc. No wonder Convo doesn't post here anymore. It's kinda hard to sell anything but a con at this point and he knows it.

• 8Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Let's be honest here. This is just game designer welfare at this point. They do enough 'cool new things' to steal money from some poor loser and then just rehash the con every few years. It's been 6 years and the 2016 implementation was the closest it's been to a functional game. The last 4 years has been spent looking for the next sucker. I expect the same for the next 4,etc, etc. No wonder Convo doesn't post here anymore. It's kinda hard to sell anything but a con at this point and he knows it.

I was thinking the same but couldn't vocalize it as eloquently.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Man this is bad news. My top most anticipated games are Pantheon, Star Citizen, and Half Life 3. o_O

• 9Worf
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 9 users

Maximis Velocity

Professional Lurker
<Silver Donator>
I think we saw different update videos... We'll see how things go in PA5. I am concerned how long the delay between PA5 - Shakeout (loadtesting) and PA5 (focused and open gameplay) will be.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Good lord, I could have done so much with the money they've spent so far and had such a better return. Ravishing Ravishing is one person and has put forth more of a game than them.

When I posted about my game the original title had something like "release before Pantheon?".

To be fair though, if I ever got funding & a team, I'd probably be scrapping most of what I have and re-doing it more professionally :D
For all we know, maybe they got an investor and everything till now was a giant prototype.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>

On the same day PS4 was released in Japan. We still won't see a playable beta before the PS5 is out.

This game will probably end up in the top 5 for longest in development. Most of the games on this list were crushing disappointments. I expect Pantheon to maintain that 'high' standard.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
On the same day PS4 was released in Japan. We still won't see a playable beta before the PS5 is out.

This game will probably end up in the top 5 for longest in development. Most of the games on this list were crushing disappointments. I expect Pantheon to maintain that 'high' standard.
I think 5-7 years is kinda average for an AAA game... you just don't know about them. I know FortNite claimed to be in development 7 years and that was for the "save the world mode" before BR was a thing. VALORANT was stated to be in development for over 5 years too.

I think a typical dev cycle is you spend 3-4 years getting to the prototype stage then alpha for a year and beta for a year or so..

dizzie

Triggered Happy
3-4 years with a studio of people with decades of game development experience between them. Even if this pile of shite releases I'll be in the bargain bins online within the month. I'm more interested in how VR are keeping this trainwreck going from a financial standpoint than the actual game at this point.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I think 5-7 years is kinda average for an AAA game... you just don't know about them. I know FortNite claimed to be in development 7 years and that was for the "save the world mode" before BR was a thing. VALORANT was stated to be in development for over 5 years too.

I think a typical dev cycle is you spend 3-4 years getting to the prototype stage then alpha for a year and beta for a year or so..

Yeah, that sounds about right. Now look at this pile. They wanted to start over after 4 years of development. That rarely works out. After they spend two more years making this 'amazing' prototype of their game...they suddenly say they aren't going to use that as a prototype and will go back to a traditional development cycle. Sounds like they weren't making a game but a sales pitch. That's fine...but then they waste that money on retarded shit.

No one wants to play the Best Climbing MMO in the WORLD! No one gives a shit about perception, dispositions, climate based play, node-based classes, AA before the original game is released, etc. No one wants them to keep redoing the graphics, combat, zones, classes, etc, etc. People wanted a spiritual successor to EQ...what they've been selling for 6 years! Not anymore it looks like.

They've squandered every ounce of goodwill they received from Brad fans and old style MMO players. There isn't a player base for a climbing MMO. These dudes are retards. No wonder Brad was depressed. From Gaming God to Pantheon. Really sad. Here's his fall from grace in short form.

giphy.gif

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users