Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
God damn I hope smedley buys this piece of shit. It started with mozz sticks and it should end with mozz sticks. Adebisi Adebisi where the memes at?

Mat'hir Uth Gan

Trakanon Raider
Smedley tipped his hand a bit with this secret Amazon game he's heading up. It's going to be cross platform including phones. It's an MMO. And he's going to finish what he started with EQNext but SOE sucked and didn't have the cash to take insane risks. Name dropped Jeff Bezos giving him the greenlight to do something crazy with an open checkbook. The other guys all talked about bringing old school challenge back to some extent, Smedley is firmly in the EZ mode-casual friendly camp. I'm curious to see the insane risks he said he's taking with his game, but I'm fairly positive it's going to suck.

Thought Joppa held his own on that panel at least though, talks too much, but he didn't hide the fact that he wants to bring original EQ back.

• 1Barf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
It's fully funded, no one needs to buy it.

Love this thread. Not for the same reason as most of you.

• 2Pathetic
  • 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Err, how many on the team are getting paid? I remember from the original Kickstarter B-Rad took like 80% of it for personal 'expenses'.

zinc_turtle

Trakanon Raider
Kilsin confirmed in this thread, in May 2019 that developers "are not working for free".
The math doesn't work out otherwise, but their claim is that angel investors or companies are throwing money into the bottomless pit to allow the employees to pay their mortgages.
To be clear, it's impossible they're gaining enough donations per month, from "teh c0mmun1t13z", even with whales, to pay even minimum wage LLR/FLC for 20+ full time employees, for ~6.5+ years.
And of course, the recurring argument that you can't/shouldn't/wouldn't pay a 'veteran' developer minimum wage, etc, etc.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Smedley tipped his hand a bit with this secret Amazon game he's heading up. It's going to be cross platform including phones. It's an MMO. And he's going to finish what he started with EQNext but SOE sucked and didn't have the cash to take insane risks. Name dropped Jeff Bezos giving him the greenlight to do something crazy with an open checkbook. The other guys all talked about bringing old school challenge back to some extent, Smedley is firmly in the EZ mode-casual friendly camp. I'm curious to see the insane risks he said he's taking with his game, but I'm fairly positive it's going to suck.

Thought Joppa held his own on that panel at least though, talks too much, but he didn't hide the fact that he wants to bring original EQ back.

Playing Eve Echoes right now has totally convinced me that its possible to have an MMO through your phone and it not be complete shit. Ive actually grown quite fond of playing Eve simply because of its portability. If we ever get to the point where games/applications can be the equivalent regardless of platform, instead of having to do things through blue stacks/nox/whatever, then we'll be into the next gen step.

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Are we going to be able to play this game in a browser?

ezgif.com-crop.gif

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
We will see who is laughing when they cross the finish line.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
We will see who is laughing when they cross the finish line.

I like your optimism in thinking the finish line will eventually be crossed. Personally I think the game is just going backwards and the devs are purely busyworking a job until its over without a thought to finishing. The whole climbing thing is just making more obstacles to be overcome to avoid doing the hard stuff of actually delivering on a working product.

200.gif

• 7Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Lot of butt rustlin every time a piece of content or working system is revealed

• 1Moron
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 1 users

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, I stopped looking into any "updates" and am confident this will never make it out of pre- alpha 82457.7 - still love the thread though, some of the gifs I've watched loop for 5+ minutes straight.

• 1Worf

Ikkan

Molten Core Raider
How long was EQ in development and with how many people?
I believe once they actually began development and went past a basic proof of concept it was around 3 years of development time. The entire team(devs, writers, animators, etc) was still pretty small but larger than Pantheon's by the end of development, however iirc it started with 4-5 developers total once they partnered with Smed.

• 1Like