Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Mr. Sox

Trakanon Raider
I was told repeatly that James is too old to play EQ. Again I was told repeatly i was lying. I remember he mention a post on the druid's grove being in the hall of fame he wrote.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
While I totally agree with your analysis and I know you was being facetious about the quests in Vanilla WoW, I have to say that I think the reason WoW was so attractive "at the time" was because of how quickly you could advance your character with any effort given to it.

Now understand that the important part of that statement is the "at the time" part. That does not hold true today, nor did it hold true for the numerous WoW clones that came after it.

What the industry didn't understand (and likely still does not understand) is that part of the reason the WoW formula was so appealing to the MMORPG genre was because of the 4+ years most of us spent prior to it playing EverQuest. Leveling was a chore in EverQuest, but you was rewarded for that partaking in that chore. Camping insanely long camps for stupidly annoying quests was highly rewarding because of the insanely rare rewards/drops you would get. That's why we did it.

When WoW came along, people (myself included) went in to it thinking the reward design of the game would be similar to what we were familiar with... EverQuest. So, leveling relatively fast and easily seemed like a God send because hey there's going to be really rewarding content in the end game... right. Right? There wasn't.

What we found was that the gear in the game was throw-away quality because instead of having that one awesome weapon to strive for, you had hundreds of generally equal weapons that you could get with out even trying. Every other animal you killed pooped out a weapon. It was insanely unrewarding.

TLDR; ... We mistakenly thought that the new MMORPG forumula put forth by vanilla WoW was going to be amazing, and in the end, we realized it was a shallow pile of shit.

But... The industry saw Blizzard make an absolute shit ton of money, and so everybody (even to this fucking day) copied their formula. In reality, the MMORPG industry would have been way better off if WoW had never been made. There would be less people aware of and/or playing the genre, but it would have at least kept to what made the genre fun in the first place; a living breathing virtual world rather than a theme park with a prize booth.
Wow nailed immersion and combat was incredibly smooth.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
While I totally agree with your analysis and I know you was being facetious about the quests in Vanilla WoW, I have to say that I think the reason WoW was so attractive "at the time" was because of how quickly you could advance your character with any effort given to it.

Now understand that the important part of that statement is the "at the time" part. That does not hold true today, nor did it hold true for the numerous WoW clones that came after it.

What the industry didn't understand (and likely still does not understand) is that part of the reason the WoW formula was so appealing to the MMORPG genre was because of the 4+ years most of us spent prior to it playing EverQuest. Leveling was a chore in EverQuest, but you was rewarded for that partaking in that chore. Camping insanely long camps for stupidly annoying quests was highly rewarding because of the insanely rare rewards/drops you would get. That's why we did it.

When WoW came along, people (myself included) went in to it thinking the reward design of the game would be similar to what we were familiar with... EverQuest. So, leveling relatively fast and easily seemed like a God send because hey there's going to be really rewarding content in the end game... right. Right? There wasn't.

What we found was that the gear in the game was throw-away quality because instead of having that one awesome weapon to strive for, you had hundreds of generally equal weapons that you could get with out even trying. Every other animal you killed pooped out a weapon. It was insanely unrewarding.

TLDR; ... We mistakenly thought that the new MMORPG forumula put forth by vanilla WoW was going to be amazing, and in the end, we realized it was a shallow pile of shit.

But... The industry saw Blizzard make an absolute shit ton of money, and so everybody (even to this fucking day) copied their formula. In reality, the MMORPG industry would have been way better off if WoW had never been made. There would be less people aware of and/or playing the genre, but it would have at least kept to what made the genre fun in the first place; a living breathing virtual world rather than a theme park with a prize booth.

That's why WoW was really big for only a month or two then died.

Last edited:
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
tripping-falling.gif

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Rael

Golden Knight of the Realm
I also know that every great developer believes that he has one last good game in him.

Furor is not, and never has been, a developer. He made quests and was later a "creative director" for a game that already existed when he joined the team.

• 1Like

Mr. Sox

Trakanon Raider
Furor will never do any wrong in my book unless he refuses to send me a raid invite. Then it is on like Donkey Kong. Now with Alex taking some time off. is your guild, FOH, taking applications for Guild Leader? if so i woul like to apply. Apparently you dont have to be an developer in WOW to be a Creative director. First it was Alex and now its Holly. WTF?

• 1Worf

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Remind me, who here played the everliving shit out of wow, and quit in frustration because the game limited how much legendary loot they could relentlessly farm up??

Blizzard said it wasn't capped at 2, pointlessly grinded, later they admitted it was capped at 2. The blue hair dye has rotted out their brains, that was the end of it.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Furor will never do any wrong in my book unless he refuses to send me a raid invite. Then it is on like Donkey Kong. Now with Alex taking some time off. is your guild, FOH, taking applications for Guild Leader? if so i woul like to apply. Apparently you dont have to be an developer in WOW to be a Creative director. First it was Alex and now its Holly. WTF?
The trolling is getting a bit obvious now, dial it back, I was enjoying your posts.

Anyway define "developer", you can call anyone on the team that but I'd rank people just using internal tools to write usually mediocre at best quests quite low in skill.

He clearly wasn't qualified to take over from Metzen and fucked it up, then they went with Danuser who did have experience, but in a shit failed game and fucked it up even worse.

• 1Moron

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>

They are getting better at showcasing that day/night cycle. Oh gathering...a less confident dev team would be embarrassed making a 10 minute video about something thats existed in MMOs for 30 years, but not these icons.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
How the hell does someone run a forum called Pantheon Crafters when the game isn't even out and doesn't have a crafting system. It's like they are role playing an MMO company, down to hiring made up developers from made up community forums.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
How the hell does someone run a forum called Pantheon Crafters when the game isn't even out and doesn't have a crafting system. It's like they are role playing an MMO company, down to hiring made up developers from made up community forums.
Early bird adopters, etc. Trying to be the "first" so that they can cash in on shit. Really noticeable with streamers where you can watch their sub count go from 1000 subscribers up to like 250k just because they were the "source" of all relevant "tips and tricks" for a brand new game. Saw it happen to a couple channels when New World came out and I was really happy to see some new faces make it.

While we're on streamers, Bazgrim sounds like he has like a wad of spit in the front of his mouth when he's talking. As if he's going to spit all over whoever is standing near him when he talks. Also amazed at how the graphics constantly jump between ESO's quality and EQ's quality. A pile of other shit they could touch on in the "game" of course, but they could at least add some realism to furnace's, stoves etc. by adding soot, black marks, etc. around them. You dont go to a restaurant with an oven fire and it look pristine. But w/e.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Are they still charging Apprentice Developers monthly fees for this scam? If so Bravo because fleecing retards month for over a decade is actually kind of impressive.

Rael

Golden Knight of the Realm

It's bizarre

1652133684354.png

Mr. Sox

Trakanon Raider
I don't really know a lot about WOW. I only played it for a few months at Howie's Game Shack in Anaheim in 2007. I wasn't able to play EQ on my aunt's computer during this time due the system specs.

I don't know much about Chris Metzen or Mike Morhiem, but I wanted to know more about what made WOW so great. I have watched videos on its history. Furthermore, I have heard different things thru the years. I would love to interview you regardless. I love listening to a great MMO story and I know my fans would too. Right now, I am a nobody when it comes to content creation. I have a lot of good ideas on how to take my show. My last name being Rogan like in Joe Rogan. My podcast is called The Dead Toe Society. I have spent the majority my gaming experience playing EQ. I can honestly say that I would treat you better than someone one like Asmon or Bellular. I am sure they would try to clown you for their viewership with all of the WOW issues from the past, whereas I would be a little more compassionate to listening to you instead of questioning you. I run a judgement free zone on my show. Think about it Chris. Let me know.

I knew that World of Warcraft already had an existing storyline with Warcraft. Instead, I choose to play Age of Empires and Civilization V. Alex from what I understand helped to develop a lot of lore within inside the original storyline to get hired on at Blizzard. Alex was a great raid leader, also, a very passionate raid leader. I would describe him more of a storyboard developer. Holly used to write copy for Microsoft before EQ and now she works for Microsoft again. Maybe a creative developer would be considered the end position of a storyboard planner and developer.

i would always give Alex a hard time on the FL Raids. One day he asked me if I was wearing my red shirt. I said yes. How did you know? I don't play WOW so the comment went over my head at the time. I have Asperger's syndrome for those people who dont know. It wasn't until years later I got the joke and i got right on it. Alex is all business.

As far as the Pantheon community, my future was determined years ago. I created a kick ass website thru Enjin about Pantheon. I had a custom app for Pantheon Radio. In all honesty it was a nice-looking site. It was definitely unique. Minus was developing his website at the time, and I guess for the lack of a better word he got scared. He tried to bully me like an OG, and I gave in and took down my site. It was a lot of hard work making the site without the proper help. During this time, minus tried to play the Gate keeper for the community. VR gave in to him because he had the community support behind him. Earlier, he tried that shit with the WOW content creators, and they send him home packing with WOW Plus. Minus is a very passionate player too and works really hard at his job. To be honest here, i knew if I didn't get some help, I knew I could not give the website the proper attention it needed. It was stressing me out. It was more a passion than a job at this point. Originally, I figure Pantheon needed my help after Brad passed away so i hit the road running.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Mr. Sox

Trakanon Raider
As far as Nephele is corncerned, he is an experienced crafter in numerous games. I know he will do a good job. He is the shining star of the team just watch. I have over 1000 fans on the forum site as Draxion before i was banned by Kilsin for asking about their financial situation. I still have access to the game for now when it launches. I was the one who publicly endorsed Nephele in the community. Minus hated doing trade skills and often talked about it. The mods on reddit will banned you quickly if you try to start some shit on their boards.

Last edited:
  • 1Like