Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

kudos

<Banned>
Difficulty as in what? Tediousness? Long leveling curves? Harsh death penalties?

or

Difficult encounters?

please explain what you mean by difficult, since this term has so many meanings in mmorpgs.
For future reference anytime someone says MMO's need to be difficult again they are ALMOST ALWAYS saying that MMO's need to require a group to kill something.

Which I agree with.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
For future reference anytime someone says MMO's need to be difficult again they are ALMOST ALWAYS saying that MMO's need to require a group to kill something.

Which I agree with.
That is a slippery incline there. On one hand, groups need to be the most efficient method of obtaining things. Gear/XP/etc (at least until you raid). On the other hand, there should be SOME solo path, however inefficient, available.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
There's not a game on the market that requires grouping for leveling anymore, no?
Not anymore sadly,
frown.png

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
That is a slippery incline there. On one hand, groups need to be the most efficient method of obtaining things. Gear/XP/etc (at least until you raid). On the other hand, there should be SOME solo path, however inefficient, available.
To be correct: You need some activities that are useful available solo. The most obvious would be XP and getting craft materials, but you can include others. The idea is that, if you have time (over an hour), you can seek out a group; if you don't, you can do stuff solo.

Oh, and if you want a EQ-style stuff, then XP/crafting materials is doable solo; gear drops REQUIRES a group (and yes, that means you don't have quests that give you stuff unless those quests require also a group. If you want to solo all the time because your socially challenged, you craft your gear and buy it at the Bazaar, period. And no random green/blue/epic drops on the young direwolf you killed solo in 10s ever).

Quaid

Trump's Staff
IMO the only instances in an MMO should be solo content. The entirety of the open world should require at minimum 2 players.

Also agree with above. Gear needs to be obtained through MOB drops that occur in group content only. Otherwise, craft and purchase.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Brings me out of lurking, then realizes the shame that is this individual's life.
You should probably go back to lurking.. You're too touchy feely for these parts!

Some people just need the word explained to them.. Might as well be a black person...There will be no hating on Pac!

But I'd love to here the shame that is my life.. Lol

blackulaa

Molten Core Raider
You should probably go back to lurking.. You're too touchy feely for these parts!

Some people just need the word explained to them.. Might as well be a black person...There will be no hating on Pac!

But I'd love to here the shame that is my life.. Lol
Was meant towards Agonizer.

Blackwulf

N00b

Which I agree with.
Depends on if you want them to craft a game or a world. A game can have this, but forget immersion; why would you need a group to kill a bandit? A wolf? A dragon, I can understand. If you are trying to create a world that you can get lost in, and this is where the line between game/RPG becomes evident, then you have to have things that people can do solo - just like in any fantasy RPG.

Edit to add: People want to feel heroic. It's not heroic to have your ass handed to you by Bushwacker #21.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
@blackwulf I don't think people want/should feel heroic at first. It's like getting your ass beat by the HG in WC then coming back later on and getting revenge. Every solo encounter should not be 99%won by you. I think that's where utility comes into play. Where you know straight hacking/nuking won't work but if you use a root/stun/fear, etc you feel you had to go a bit deeper to pull it out and your odds of winning increase. That's just basic to me and why I want to see what SB does. I don't even mind winning most of the solo battles but I do want to think a bit to win them.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Edit to add: People want to feel heroic. It's not heroic to have your ass handed to you by Bushwacker #21.
Whether they realize it or not, people want toearnheroic, they don't want to behandedheroic at the starting gate- otherwise, it's not heroic, it's just... standard.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Holy shit yes convo and ard (and rog again for that list), I want it to be a long time after first starting a game to feel powerful and very long before feeling "heroic".

It's the opposite to me , it's not very world like or heroic if everyone's a special snowflake , world champion hero.

Yes , to me , a grizzled wolf that's been around the block should have a chance to fuck you up.

Everyone being a "hero" is just plain boring and the last thing I want in an mmo.

SWTOR got it wrong , there are lots of people who enjoy being uncle Ben the crafter , or just bad ass storm trooper that can actually hit the side of the barn.

Everyone being the Jedi/Sith Lord extraordinaire hero makes for a stupid mmo world.

Blackwulf

N00b
@blackwulf I don't think people want/should feel heroic at first. It's like getting your ass beat by the HG in WC then coming back later on and getting revenge. Every solo encounter should not be 99%won by you. I think that's where utility comes into play. Where you know straight hacking/nuking won't work but if you use a root/stun/fear, etc you feel you had to go a bit deeper to pull it out and your odds of winning increase. That's just basic to me and why I want to see what SB does. I don't even mind winning most of the solo battles but I do want to think a bit to win them.
Whether they realize it or not, people want toearnheroic, they don't want to behandedheroic at the starting gate- otherwise, it's not heroic, it's just... standard.
I don't have an argument with that. I agree. I was mostly replying to the idea that you should have to group foreverything. I'm an old school RPG player - I fondly remember getting beat up by certain enemies only to come back later and wtf own them. You're right about that. I was mostly saying that if I play smart, i.e., use all the tools available to me, I should be able to earn that strength/heroic aspect by taking on enemies at or slightly above my own strength. I shouldn't need to group up to go out and kill a goblin. Maybe I'm reading too much into the earlier statements that a group should be required for everything. Were they being hyperbolic?