Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Chris

Potato del Grande
Said it before but ... just make this a COOP RPG game.

Any low budget MMOG is gonna be hacked to oblivion. Not even Blizzard, Valve, or Epic can 100% stop hackers. Everyone besides them has ZERO chance. New World had Amazon budget and it was hack ridden.

Just make this a damn COOP RPG.
They would have make MORE content for Coop because it removes the player generated content of an MMO. People are also less motivated to do shitty grinds if they can't show off their stuff.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
They would have make MORE content for Coop because it removes the player generated content of an MMO. People are also less motivated to do shitty grinds if they can't show off their stuff.
I still say that the future of MMORPGs is where you run your own servers. The company creates the server/client, manages the user accounts, etc. The user has the option to buy the game and/or a server license. The user runs the server on their own computer, configures all the rules and stuff, and sets the security settings (private server with password required, IP based private server, public server, etc). The character accounts exist on the company's server.

That way, the company doesn't have to police anything on the servers. It takes their responsibility out of it which saves them time and money. The user who runs the server is free to combat cheating how ever they want. It's their server.

Then the company charges the owner of the server a monthly license fee, addons, expansions, etc.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
I still say that the future of MMORPGs is where you run your own servers.
Communities will be too small.

It's actually going the other way with servers being linked up to increase the size of the pool of players.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Both can work, I think it just depends on the company size and the direction they want to take their game. Overall, companies want more control over their users than they do now so the bigger companies will move more towards a mega server like Chris is saying, imo. More control means more opportunities to extort.. er.. show Microtransactions to their player base. Nevermind the ability to completely control the mod scene and possibly monetize it like Bethesda.

I personally think we're only seeing the very beginning of how monetized video games will be.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I still say that the future of MMORPGs is where you run your own servers. The company creates the server/client, manages the user accounts, etc. The user has the option to buy the game and/or a server license. The user runs the server on their own computer, configures all the rules and stuff, and sets the security settings (private server with password required, IP based private server, public server, etc). The character accounts exist on the company's server.

That way, the company doesn't have to police anything on the servers. It takes their responsibility out of it which saves them time and money. The user who runs the server is free to combat cheating how ever they want. It's their server.

Then the company charges the owner of the server a monthly license fee, addons, expansions, etc.

Sounds a lot like Roblox for adults

Shmoopy

The tradeoff is "needing less content" vs. running 24/7 customer service, running your own servers, databases, login system, vastly higher network requirements, etc.

Making some zones and quests is vastly cheaper than bare minimum MMOG infrastructure ...

• 1Like

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
The company creates the server/client, manages the user accounts, etc. The user has the option to buy the game and/or a server license. The user runs the server on their own computer, configures all the rules and stuff, and sets the security settings (private server with password required, IP based private server, public server, etc). The character accounts exist on the company's server.
Old school FPS games (Quake, Half-Life etc.) used to work this way, which is how things like CTF, Team Fortress and Counterstrike could even develop. But then you had to have a "server browser" like GameSpy, and people also hated the local server admin powertripping and accusing everyone of cheating that was better than him.

Since then even FPS titles like Battlefield have moved to some form of permanent progression, and you can only do that on "officia"l servers. Which killed private servers. You can only rent servers from accredited server providers.

The user who runs the server is free to combat cheating how ever they want. It's their server.
Modern anti-cheat mechanisms include scanning the user's computer. For example Blizzards watchdog scans the titles of the windows that are open while you play. Even old school games like EverQuest scan which DLL files get injected into the game process, which is how Daybreak bans people who try to use MQ2 on progression servers. This can ramp up on the technical scale to full-fledged rootkit level of anti-cheat systems, e.g. with Valorant.

I sure as hell wouldn't want any private server operator to collect any data from my computer.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Thread ain't as much fun knowing that Pantheon will definitely release?

• 1Worf

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
A simulator for farming weapons and armor

Some pop ups here and there about strange breezes or feeling something isn't right

It will make a good number of ppl mad

• 1Picard

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I've seen them loot weapons and armor on stream

I've seen the immersive popups

I've seen the funding

It is comin

Camelot Unchained is far more of a disaster story, gets next to no attention here because of the mad cuz Brad factor

Where am I wrong again?

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I've seen them loot weapons and armor on stream

I've seen the immersive popups

I've seen the funding

It is comin

Camelot Unchained is far more of a disaster story, gets next to no attention here because of the mad cuz Brad factor

Where am I wrong again?
You're not exactly proposing a "high bar" for comparison.

Daidraco

Makes it really hard to believe this is coming out when basic networking with client to client or client to server login, item management / inventory, looting, animations, combat including abilities, User interface, mapping, basic AI and a huge library assets to purchase, is all included in the base package of UE4. (Hell, if they start using UE5 - watch out, the tech demo's are going to come into this decade of tech!) Especially when everything theyve shown is concentrated into just a handful of areas and they have barely anything out of the ordinary. Unless you're that excited about climbing, they aint doing too much.

Daidraco

flail all ye want, Pan'the'on is com'in
Im always fine with more games coming out. I really dont give a shit about the drama surrounding this title. But the more I learn about UE5 in my spare time, the more I feel like this is vaporware at best.

Daidraco

ice.gif