Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Dumar_sl

shitlord
I agree, I also want collision detection and large races in cramped dungeons so I can block doors so people can get trained and I can grief my enemies in pvp until they lose levels from exp lose and then get their corpse camped until it rots and they lose all their items. That's the dangerous world I'm going to hope he's making, that I assume others also want.
That's one point of many. Would you like more if you haven't got the idea yet?

So persistent, non-instanced dungeons leads to contested spawns, which leads to contested raid content. Thoughts?
If stuff doesn't spawn always in the same place can it really be contested?

FX1hROS.jpg

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I also wish he manages to accomplish a bunch of really vague things that amount to meanings in my mind that build a grander vision due to my self-serving aggrandizing definitions of the vague things I allude to hoping he does. Man, if he can manage to do the things I can't express concretely, I'll like the game and then look back and credit what he's doing to doing exactly what I wanted him to do despite not being able to form a concrete idea of what it was I was hoping he did. But he'll have done it, and if I like it I'll vaguely credit myself by saying 'see, that's what I wanted all along' and if I don't like the game I'll not try to identify what about the game or my own habits uniquely and specifically precludes me from enjoying the game and just claim it's a wow-clone and lament his inability to deliver the abstract qualities of the game I'd hoped for by expressing my vague expectations using self-defining buzzwords and hindsight-dependent terms.

OMG Laura I'm kidding!!! I too want Brad to [advice from an armchair dev] but/so/while [vague reference for or against popular gameplay] to create [term or buzzwords that have a ton of personalized meaning to me but don't really mean a fucking thing in the grand scheme of developing or even playing a game].

These discussions remind me of the students in lit//english/writing classes who would use their professor voice and spout out the glossary terms in a very intent manner and several minutes later you realize they didn't do the reading, but sounded really smart not actually saying a fucking thing.

But yeah, totally, dangerous world.... make it so, Brad! I've said dangerous world, so now your job is to provide exactly what those words mean to me! (ffa pvp with no anti-griefing rules and exp loss)
I really like this post.

So persistent, non-instanced dungeons leads to contested spawns, which leads to contested raid content. Thoughts?
I'd want that - here's a similar question:

What about performing a mixture of solo and/or group content that allows you to trigger the appearance of a raid boss (not limited by a weekly spawn timer on that boss, no restricted to a kill per week/day/whatever). It would be in the open world, contested in a sense but given that you control when he appears it's likely you have it to yourself. It's on-demand content without actually using an instance, but similar in concept. Is that a bad or a good direction design-wise?

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I really like this post.

I'd want that - here's a similar question:

What about performing a mixture of solo and/or group content that allows you to trigger the appearance of a raid boss (not limited by a weekly spawn timer on that boss, no restricted to a kill per week/day/whatever). It would be in the open world, contested in a sense but given that you control when he appears it's likely you have it to yourself. It's on-demand content without actually using an instance, but similar in concept. Is that a bad or a good direction design-wise?
VG was supposed to have this. they called it "phasing" i think, where a guild could trigger a spawn or a boss and then they would be locked into that mob without anyone else being able to interfere or intervene. i guess it's similar to an instance, but not quite because you're not instanced into a separate dungeon or zone, just get to fight the mob without having others KS or train you. not sure if it was ever implemented in VG or not, as i stopped playing before there was any raid content.

Destante

Lord Nagafen Raider
^^^ That was done in vanguard with bosses in the open world and dungeons. Basically you had to gather stuff to use to spawn the mob or have completed a certain quest line or use a specific item. It worked ok but was occasionally buggy. Was kind of cool mixed with static and random spawns.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
Brad needs to improve upon the ideas in EQ. Vanguard could've been that realization, but their technical, mgmnt teams were too incompetent. WoW has the best technical competency in the business, which means it doesn't matter how shitty their game designers are: it will still feel good to play.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
VG was supposed to have this. they called it "phasing" i think, where a guild could trigger a spawn or a boss and then they would be locked into that mob without anyone else being able to interfere or intervene. i guess it's similar to an instance, but not quite because you're not instanced into a separate dungeon or zone, just get to fight the mob without having others KS or train you. not sure if it was ever implemented in VG or not, as i stopped playing before there was any raid content.
There are many places in vanguard dungeons where you have to trigger a boss spawn based on collecting things, working a questline etc... There are other dungeons with the usual timer based spawns... i liked having a mix frankly.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
LOL. Okay that's funny I'll give you that.

Trust me I didn't intend my extremely vague sentence to be taken as a fundamental approach to Brad's project (not that he's going to read it anyway).I think everyone in this board knows where I come fromand I've explained what I want in an MMORPG plenty of times.
Glad you find your own posts humorous. However, it does concern me that you think the people on this board can read your mind.

I just try to spare everyone the trouble of reading detailsof what I'm looking forward to in an MMORPG. If someone would take my design document, I would gladly hand it out.
smile.png
Oooooh, so that's what you're doing.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
We don't care about details. We're not designers - we know what results we want, how the game should feel and behave.

How Brad gets to that point? I don't care, just do it. And don't WoWify it to casual hell & back.

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
Glad you find your own posts humorous. However, it does concern me that you think the people on this board can read your mind.

Oooooh, so that's what you're doing.
Tmac, the truth is I really feel apathetic to whatever you say (and by that I mean I don't give a flying fuck
tongue.png
).

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Tmac, the truth is I really feel apathetic to whatever you say (and by that I mean I don't give a flying fuck
tongue.png
).
Lol!

As for contested Raid content I still want them to reuse areas like Fabled dungeons in EQ. Similar to dungeons leveling when nobody is using them. I'd like for a game to take it to the next level and grow those areas of the world that get forgotten. It's the best/cheapest way to add high level content but also allows you to focus on the little things in the world since players will constantly revisit a lot of areas. Just reuse the mobs already in place but get creative and pack them, add abilities, paths, etc..Toss in a Raid mob and we have ourselves an outdoor raid target. Kill the raid mob and the area resets back to the way it was. Probably easier said than done but it's something to think about when building a game on a budget and trying to get the most out of your world. It also allows you to slowly do that to parts of the world and let players discover out where on their own.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Lol!

As for contested Raid content I still want them to reuse areas like Fabled dungeons in EQ. Similar to dungeons leveling when nobody is using them. I'd like for a game to take it to the next level and grow those areas of the world that get forgotten. It's the best/cheapest way to add high level content but also allows you to focus on the little things in the world since players will constantly revisit a lot of areas. Just reuse the mobs already in place but get creative and pack them, add abilities, paths, etc..Toss in a Raid mob and we have ourselves an outdoor raid target. Kill the raid mob and the area resets back to the way it was. Probably easier said than done but it's something to think about when building a game on a budget and trying to get the most out of your world. It also allows you to slowly do that to parts of the world and let players discover out where on their own.
yeah, there's nothing wrong with reusing old parts of the game by adding new mobs, loot, etc... it's all about incentive. hell, i remember when EQ revamped cazic thule. that place was packed day and night.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
We don't care about details. We're not designers - we know what results we want, how the game should feel and behave.

How Brad gets to that point? I don't care, just do it. And don't WoWify it to casual hell & back.
Speak for yourself. The more time I spend here at Rerolled, the more I realize I don't have a fucking clue what I want.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
yeah, there's nothing wrong with reusing old parts of the game by adding new mobs, loot, etc... it's all about incentive. hell, i remember when EQ revamped cazic thule. that place was packed day and night.
The loot in revamped CT was some of the best in the game outside of raids, thats why. Boots of Flowing Slime (FT3), etc for example.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I wish games would re-use content more. Just likes the orcs, chaos, ratmen, etc build back strength with time in Wahammer fantasy(not the game), they could have dungeons do the same. Wait a couple years for the content to really be used less and use that storyline to remake a dungeon. Make a strong threat to 'the kingdom', etc and get the players back into old familiar territory where they have already made some good memories.