Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

I want a IWI Tavor Sar 21.
Me too. Also EQ in a browser.

4DS1lXl.jpg

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I wish games would re-use content more. Just likes the orcs, chaos, ratmen, etc build back strength with time in Wahammer fantasy(not the game), they could have dungeons do the same. Wait a couple years for the content to really be used less and use that storyline to remake a dungeon. Make a strong threat to 'the kingdom', etc and get the players back into old familiar territory where they have already made some good memories.
I was thinking about this when I was playing WoW with a friend the other day.

He hasn't played since BC and I haven't played since Cataclysm and we both started back about two weeks ago. He was asking me about zones like Thousand Needles, that have changed a lot since Vanilla. As we were discussing the changes to the world, I thought that it was unfortunate that unless we Reroll(TM), we'll never get to experience the updates.

I've been thinking the exact same thing zzeris.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
We've been complaining about how shitty this industry is since WotLK. And you could argue TBC since those dungeons were the start of some fantastic dogshit.

BRAD, please...

iannis

Musty Nester
I remember having that thought about halfway through Kunark when I was running through Innothule swamp and did a /who. It was me and about 4 other people in the zone.

I mean that happened almost 15 years ago at this point, and I still remember it because it made me powerful sad. I think that was the beginning of the end of EQ for me.

Fuck you Brad.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
Listen, this piece of trash industry could make a game we all would froth over. They won't because once this level of capital enters an industry, it almost transforms it into a meta-game: where the actual content of what you're passionate about makes no difference. What matters is that meta-game of market research, exploiting every revenue stream, and earnings calls. Those types of activities dictate the product, and because they dictate the product, they then dictate the design and people designing that product.

Whereas a game like EQ was made by accident, experimentation, mistakes, passion, and creativity all mixed together, none of that happens when this amount of money enters a market. It's gone. The drivers of products aren't those things, but they're now customer focus groups and MBA-centric analytics to extract as much revenue as humanly possible and exploit the market in every way the company can.

Did I mention this industry is garbage? I'll say it again.

What I want, what most of us here want, is very fucking simple. A REMOVAL of the beancounters dictating design, of the fucking terrible marketing and analytics that drives the product. REMOVE it.

Take Brad, a bunch of smelly neckbeards who are too ugly and smelly to care enough about 'tweeting the latest crafting videoblog' and who DO.NOT.CARE about whether timmy the retard answers pirates or ninjas!1!! in the latest terrible survey your company puts up for no good design reason whatsoever. Take those two, throw in a token woman to give them enough motivation to compete with each other and show up for work, and lock them all in a room. Give them a decent budget, but not even close to the 100+ million financial disease retardedness that has afflicted this entire industry. And say, be fucking creative, make whatever you want. You want to make EQ? Make it, and do your best to make it better. No fancy graphics, no bullshit social media, nothing. Just the most immersive experience out there. To make sure Vanguard doesn't happen again, drug test them all.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Joke was that no Kickstarter happening because a publisher picked it up. Joke moved on to imply no publisher would actually fund a project without the super mainstream involved because they scared. Joke didn't land.

Vorathe_sl

shitlord
Listen, this piece of trash industry could make a game we all would froth over. They won't because once this level of capital enters an industry, it almost transforms it into a meta-game: where the actual content of what you're passionate about makes no difference. What matters is that meta-game of market research, exploiting every revenue stream, and earnings calls. Those types of activities dictate the product, and because they dictate the product, they then dictate the design and people designing that product.

Whereas a game like EQ was made by accident, experimentation, mistakes, passion, and creativity all mixed together, none of that happens when this amount of money enters a market. It's gone. The drivers of products aren't those things, but they're now customer focus groups and MBA-centric analytics to extract as much revenue as humanly possible and exploit the market in every way the company can.

Did I mention this industry is garbage? I'll say it again.

What I want, what most of us here want, is very fucking simple. A REMOVAL of the beancounters dictating design, of the fucking terrible marketing and analytics that drives the product. REMOVE it.

Take Brad, a bunch of smelly neckbeards who are too ugly and smelly to care enough about 'tweeting the latest crafting videoblog' and who DO.NOT.CARE about whether timmy the retard answers pirates or ninjas!1!! in the latest terrible survey your company puts up for no good design reason whatsoever. Take those two, throw in a token woman to give them enough motivation to compete with each other and show up for work, and lock them all in a room. Give them a decent budget, but not even close to the 100+ million financial disease retardedness that has afflicted this entire industry. And say, be fucking creative, make whatever you want. You want to make EQ? Make it, and do your best to make it better. No fancy graphics, no bullshit social media, nothing. Just the most immersive experience out there. To make sure Vanguard doesn't happen again, drug test them all.
This really resonates with me personally. Recently lost my job at a game company partly due to those beancounters. In retrospect, it's probably good that there's one less studio making trash games with revenue models that exploit their users.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
This really resonates with me personally. Recently lost my job at a game company partly due to those beancounters. In retrospect, it's probably good that there's one less studio making trash games with revenue models that exploit their users.
Sorry to hear that and it's a universal problem in business right now. Short term profit for shareholders is the only true goal for most companies. Global economy has allowed cheap workers to devalue the true strength of any company...the people who actually do the work. Hope you find something better soon.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
I remember having that thought about halfway through Kunark when I was running through Innothule swamp and did a /who. It was me and about 4 other people in the zone.

I mean that happened almost 15 years ago at this point, and I still remember it because it made me powerful sad. I think that was the beginning of the end of EQ for me.

Fuck you Brad.
Shit, innothule was shitty even when it was relevant. People got to ro/guk as fast as they could :p Too much random shit killing you in inny.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Love to hear about specifically what u mean I.e. Revenue models that exploit users .. It has been obvious to most of us gamers but I would love to hear this validated by someone in the biz... Not sure if you can share.

Anyway good luck man !!

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
It isn't just the gaming industry that is like that. I work at a company with revenueover $100 BILLION/yearandALL THEY CARE ABOUTis bottom line, saving, profit. It's crazy working at a company where you feel like the company hates you and you are just a negative dollar sign to them, feel like an axe hovering above your head all the time. It's pretty disgusting, but what are you gona do.

Vorathe_sl

shitlord
Love to hear about specifically what u mean I.e. Revenue models that exploit users .. It has been obvious to most of us gamers but I would love to hear this validated by someone in the biz... Not sure if you can share.

Anyway good luck man !!
Unfortunately, I can't share specifics. The typical pay to win stuff.