Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Duskoy_sl

shitlord
I will probably donate. How much depends on the presentation of the kickstarter and whatnot. I do not mind that he is "late" in putting up a kickstarter, would not make much sense around christmas time anyway.

Jim Russel

Lord Nagafen Raider
Anyone remember who said that Vanguard had bad dev tools? Was that out of the mouth of a former employee or just second hand?

Also, LOL @ Tyen asking about EQ in a browser on Brad's twitter feed.

iannis

Musty Nester
He gets crazy shit for that. I do think there is a market for EQ in a browser. lol. I doubt it's a great market, but once you've translated everything over you could make a few hundred grand a year off of maintaining it. People would probably pay a $2-5 per month fee.

But honestly I think that same niche could be filled (and is filled) by a new IP and you'd have to pay too much for the everquest name... so why bother with everquest.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Anyone remember who said that Vanguard had bad dev tools? Was that out of the mouth of a former employee or just second hand?

Also, LOL @ Tyen asking about EQ in a browser on Brad's twitter feed.
Yes and no. This is a slightly more complex than it sounds. At the time we all thought they were so bad that it was incomprehensible how anyone could think the tools were good. After working at a other places I came to understand just how good the tools actually were. In fact VG still has the second best set of tools I've ever used in a professional setting. The main problem, that was never solved, was the way scripting worked.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I'm having a hard time understanding if that's a compliment to Vanguard or a slap to the industry (probably both). I guess the guy behind the quote was fresh in the development world.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not if this Kickstarter page is any indication of how the team is working and serves as a window into the emphasis placed on time management.
I will give him a pass on this for two reasons:
1) First Impressions will make or break the funding (kickstarter)!
2) It's the holidays and no one is doing serious work this time of year.

Cylus

Trakanon Raider
Yes and no. This is a slightly more complex than it sounds. At the time we all thought they were so bad that it was incomprehensible how anyone could think the tools were good. After working at a other places I came to understand just how good the tools actually were. In fact VG still has the second best set of tools I've ever used in a professional setting. The main problem, that was never solved, was the way scripting worked.
With all due respect, that only makes me question the tools at those other places
smile.png

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I wasn't going to donate to Brad (I hold him responsible for Vanguard's failure and AFAIK he doesn't seem to have learned from his mistakes there) but if his kickstarter is for a true Diku based MMO. No action-rpg bullshit. No cute Asian bullshit (the kiddie races in Final Fantasy). And has something you can do besides a pure quest grind and some non-instanced content. I'll give him $50 or maybe a little more.

There is no true EQ successor coming out anytime in the foreseeable future, the closest was FF14 and between the quest grind and child-races I said fuck it. Anyway, truth be told I probably spent $50 bucks on tickets for that 600+ million lottery, the odds of Brad succeeding are only slightly better than the odds of me winning a lottery but what the fuck - it's only money.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I wasn't going to donate to Brad (I hold him responsible for Vanguard's failure and AFAIK he doesn't seem to have learned from his mistakes there)
I'll give him $50 or maybe a little more.
it's only money.
This thread blows my mind. People start their posts with criticisms of Brad as if to establish that they won't be willing to throw money at him because of his track record, yet immediately after that they admit that they'll end up throwing their money at him anyways.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
@Burnesto ProTip. The way it works is that you give people money so they suck your dick, not the other way around. Not sure where you got confused on that.

@Erronius Hello Old Chum! I don't think Brad will succeed. The point of throwing money at Brad's project is to show other developers that there is interest in an "old-school" Diku game with updated graphics.

Lets say Brad raises 15 million and the project ends up going down in flame due to all that money getting spent on crack and hookers (you might want to take some notes here Burnesto). The failure of the game and my loss of $50 bucks makes zero difference to my life: I wasn't playing an MMO before, I'm still not playing an MMO. However, since Aradune has a high profile in the industry, maybe Developer X is watching this debacle. Developer X sees that a Diku mud kickstarter can raise sufficient cash so he gets a team/kickstart going and that team is capable of making and indeed makes the EQ/VG sequel we, or at least I, am looking for.

Sure odds are low, but again, what the fuck am I going to do? Bitch about the lack of good MMOs on a low population BBS? Look at it as me voting with my cash.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
That seems like a really convoluted justification but it's your money, LOL.

Myself, there's probably no way I'd ever donate to a kickstarter for Brad. After the bullshit in EQ followed by the INCREDIBLE amount if lies and bullshit that he spewed on FOH about VG, I just can't justify giving him a single cent until he has a final product that I can look at and judge on it's own merits. How any of the old school FOH peeps can give him the benefit of the doubt given his track record is beyond me.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
since Aradune has a high profile in the industry, maybe Developer X is watching this debacle. Developer X sees that a Diku mud kickstarter can raise sufficient cash so he gets a team/kickstart going and that team is capable of making and indeed makes the EQ/VG sequel we, or at least I, am looking for.
You're certainly giving hypothetical_investor_01 a lot of credit. Here's a more likely scenario:

Lets say Brad raises 15 million and the project ends up going down in flames due to all that money getting spent on crack and hookers. The next developer, the one with a vision who would have made something truly game changing, he gets laughed out of every investment meeting / kickstarter attempt. Most of them point to the fact that Aradune (the genius behind that Everquest series) couldn't even get a decent product launched with 15 million.