Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Haha my bad dude
Quests are the red-headed stepchild of our genre: you can't get rid of them, in time you'll probably even come to love them, but you really don't want too many.

/aside Someone already setup a fansite. Lol.

Welcome Brad. I can't wait to check out your new game. I love old EQ (most of it). Vanguard was fun. I hope something along the lines of old EQ and Vanguard (less bugs).

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ha yea I agree Tad. I misquoted that. Questing needs to be on par with EQ.

Betting fan site is gogojira

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Fan site isn't me, but a friend of mine and I'm helping out with it. It's one of the dudes I did a few podcasts with on EQN before SOE Live. He's a really good guy and before this was even a thing he wanted an MMO to kick him in the teeth. It seems a pretty nice fit in theory. He's aware of how early it is, but it's an extension of the site he already has.

Spynx_sl

shitlord
Fan site isn't me, but a friend of mine and I'm helping out with it. It's one of the dudes I did a few podcasts with on EQN before SOE Live. He's a really good guy and before this was even a thing he wanted an MMO to kick him in the teeth. It seems a pretty nice fit in theory. He's aware of how early it is, but it's an extension of the site he already has.
the fuck is the address already? I need to get Red Panda Pirates rolling soon!

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Looks like a couple more people you can add to your Pantheon Team List from the PantheonRotF twitter followers.

Jais

Trakanon Raider
We have to. This game has a target audience -- it is not designed to be a huge all-things-for-all-people game. It needs to be focused, and that focus needs to be making sure we're we're making a game that that audience wants. This game will be smaller, it's feature set specific, and the focus will be on making it fun first for that audience. Feature creep would destroy this game, period.

-Brad
I am erect.

Bruman

Golden Squire
ZOMG NEWS!

I'm trying to be cautiously optimistic here, but I don't think I can. I want to go full-on excited hype train mode for, what, 3-5 years that it'll take before we have something to play?

Awesome that Brad signed up. I said "hi" to him back when he rejoined the VG team briefly :3. Protip though Brad - you don't have to sign your posts with "-Brad" ;-). The internet quit doing that a while back.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
On a personal level, I hope everything works out for you. I think most of us know the stories (true or not) and I don't think anyone wants to see people in a bad place.

Professionally, you still have our attention and it is also with good timing. The industry is pretty frustrating at the moment but with that comes a crowd waiting for something worth playing. I think that brings double-edged sword. At least speaking for myself, I'll try about anything but I would be pretty quick to say it is just another one those mediocre MMO's.
Welcome back and congrats on a new venture! I would say only talk about the past as it informs your way forward. Best of luck with the KS and the new game.

Reiker

Golden Knight of the Realm
If Vanguard ran well it would have been even better than EQ. That game was one hell of an MMO and it's a shame that it never got the praise it deserved considering it was, well, a technical piece of shit.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Probably proof that SOE is helping out a little - freaking Salim
mad.png

I suspect SOE's attorneys were helping with the trademark search/registration.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
From Domaintools:

Domain Name: PANTHEONROTF.COM
Registrar URL:Domain Names | The World's Largest Domain Name Registrar - GoDaddy
Registrant Name: Salim Grant
Registrant Organization: Sony Online Entertainment

Sony Online Entertainment

There is also a Salim Grant that was one of the kids wrongfully accused of the Nite Owl murders in "L.A. Confidential" who is now a rapper/producer. How cool would those two biographies merged be?

tad10

Elisha Dushku
From Domaintools:

Domain Name: PANTHEONROTF.COM
Registrar URL:Domain Names | The World's Largest Domain Name Registrar - GoDaddy
Registrant Name: Salim Grant
Registrant Organization: Sony Online Entertainment

Sony Online Entertainment

There is also a Salim Grant that was one of the kids wrongfully accused of the Nite Owl murders in "L.A. Confidential" who is now a rapper/producer. How cool would those two biographies merged be?
I'd much rather the rapper Salim be part of the team than the SOE Salim -_- Silius has/had the worst MMO ideas - the KDQ bullshit in VG. Siliusauraus. Etc.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Noooo. No XP for quests, and quests should be uncommon (not rare, just uncommon). The quest grind to cap is a horrible creeping virus that swallows all joy out of an MMO. Also, quest drops from mobs without needing to be on the quest (EQ style).
I am great with the latter point but not the former across the board. Lots of quests in EQ gave XP (tumpy tonics ho!). I think what I would agree with would be an end to quest hubs, a QuestMart location where all quests in a region can be gathered and turned in with a single drive-by.

If you don't have people grinding quests, then you have people grinding mobs, which inevitably means setting up camp spots which means lots of assembly-line pulling and chewing through long levels a pixel at a time sitting in one spot. While that can be a choice, it needs to be a choice among many and not forced; I don't know if using that to encourage community and PvE competition is the best way to go about it.

Couloir_sl

shitlord
This got interesting in a hurry. Bummer on the name, I had ten bucks on "Vanguard Next."

This game is realistically 4+ years away from an RC, yea? Honest question.

Best of luck with your project Mr. McQuaid.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
This got interesting in a hurry. Bummer on the name, I had ten bucks on "Vanguard Next."

This game is realistically 4+ years away from an RC, yea? Honest question.

Best of luck with your project Mr. McQuaid.
EQ was developed in 3ish years IIRC. Anyone? Bueler? Avoiding the seemless world and massive quest/questhub model reduces development time.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Don't care much how "hardcore" it is or how punishing it is and what type of leveling it uses. Only thing I care about really is, this better have bloodmages/disciples. And real bards. And a real CC focused class. Basically, it better have Vanguard class design. Just with that I'd be willing to put a bit of money into it, because regardless of how awful other aspects of the game are/were, these classes were just fucking fun to play.

That said I really liked the Vanguard leveling. It had quests that you could solo if you wanted for some xp, but leveling solo was pretty fucking slow and involved a lot of grinding between quests area level jumps. Then it had group leveling which was efficient and fun, with super large dungeons exploration and all the EQ-like features that people keep mentionning in the rose tinted glasses threads. It did both and that was great imo. Some quests are fine, they can just be actual questlines and not collecting bear asses, and give decent(but not great) rewards for your trouble. They act as a medium for lore, you get told stories and legends of the world while doing the quests, explore areas you wouldn't otherwise doing static grouping. At the same time, if you want to really level up, you'll just group and explore/camp dungeons. This was what made Vanguard accessible to me, the fact you weren't forced into grouping ALL the time(besides playing a soloing class like a necro), but it was still the most fun and efficient way of leveling. Basically, you had the choice. Modern mmos are all about questing and grouping is generally worse, but I don't think I want a game where you have to group at all times to do everything, having some content you can solo whenever you log in and your static group isn't on or you only have 15-20mins to play is fine too.

So yeah, I'd rather see vanguard 2 than everquest 3. That is, without the zone hitching, lack of content(emppty dungeons, no loot tables on many mobs etc), CTDs, unoptimized engine and all that shit that ruined Vanguard, obviously.