Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
First person isn't going to happen. Even in EQ almost everyone I knew went 3rd person for everything but very tight spaces. They only went first person then because EQ camera options were ass.
And the best parts of EQ were very tight spaces, durr..

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I can say at this point that were we to ever have flying mounts then it would be a stretch goal. Flying and getting flying done right is some serious work and can't be rushed.

As for 1st and 3rd person views, you can choose either, and we are architecting the world the same as EQ and VG (so in confined quarters 3rd person becomes less useful, but then outdoors you can back the camera out and use it during travel to make sure nothing is chasing you, etc. )
Flying mounts always seemed like a waste of time to me. I'm glad this isn't making it in anytime soon myself.

Good news on the new Dev. Seb was a crazy zone. Hopefully we get back to locked doors and traps too.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Seb is prolly my second favorite dungeon ever after BRD, will be interesting to see what he can do with a goal of making dungeons like that + modern art/mechanics.

chantmaster

Lord Nagafen Raider
Please make the system such that to achieve decent/optimal dps for a given class, you are not locked into a fixed rotation like:

cast 3
wait 50 ms
cast 1
wait 40 ms
cast 2
wait 100 ms
cast 1
wait 250 ms
repeat

It makes communication go down the drain when you spend half your time counting down trying to push buttons at specific miliseconds and glancing at rotation spreadsheets. It also becomes severely boring/macroed.

Writing sentences in the short time windows is also quite a mess.

Lethality

Lord Nagafen Raider
For my first quest on this forum I have done just that.

Here is a list of the popular community requested features from the past 80 or so pages, as well as some of my own idea's.

Community Requested Features

I will continue to edit and add to the list. It will be cleaned up over time.
Well, that's a good effort? but not everything on there is exactly unanimous (the flying mounts, for example.) Probably at least need to include some indication of sentiment to make it a somewhat accurate picture?

Caliane

I can say at this point that were we to ever have flying mounts then it would be a stretch goal. Flying and getting flying done right is some serious work and can't be rushed.

As for 1st and 3rd person views, you can choose either, and we are architecting the world the same as EQ and VG (so in confined quarters 3rd person becomes less useful, but then outdoors you can back the camera out and use it during travel to make sure nothing is chasing you, etc. )
If you are not building the world with flying mounts in mind in the first place, I would highly recommend you cut the idea out entirely.
Flying changes how the entire layout of the world is handled. And either you built for that, or you didn't. adding it later, will break all the content prior.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
So what are peoples thoughts on stuff like diseases. EQ was the last MMO game I played where you really got any long term debuffs. Stuff like rabies from a zombie etc. Recently playing skyrim I like how they handled diseases, they start off with no real effect so they aren't instantly crippling, but then if you let it go hours without a cure it can become pretty debilitating. Makes it so getting rabies as a melee doesn't mean you just afk a half hour but still encourages you to work your way towards a cure shrine or something to get rid of it. Plus rewards exploration a bit because knowing about some hidden shrine would be important if you are out in the wilderness alone.

What do you guys feel about a spell/ability system where you have a fixed number of slots, so even if you know 100 spells, you can only mem a few at a time. Or, do you prefer the 'as long as I have mana' I can cast what I want?
I'd prefer to have 12 abilities/spells or so hotkeyed that can be used during combat but then when not in combat, I'd like to just be able to open my spell book and cast whatever out of that in case some lowbie character needs a buff or something. This way, I can help newer players and socialize without having to mem/re-key my spells and abilities.

On the same topic, I'd prefer to avoid twitch mechanics as much as possible. I played a bard in EQ1 for years, and while I appreciated that carpal tunnel was a feature of the class, I'd much rather be able to focus on the action of the game rather than constantly mashing buttons every five seconds.
smile.png

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
EQ eventually added a feature where you could mem a whole preset load of spells without having to find each one, and also categorized lists of spells to mem when you clicked on an empty spell gem, both of those features make buffing someone with something you don't normally cast pretty easy since you dont have to scan slowly through a 30 page book looking for a spell.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
The creator of Sebiilis (and many other classic zones) recently joined the team. We asked him to make his first Pantheon dungeon make Sebilis look like a pre-school. He smiled and nodded.
Whoa.. wait a sec.. who is he referring to?

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
The creator of Sebiilis (and many other classic zones) recently joined the team. We asked him to make his first Pantheon dungeon make Sebilis look like a pre-school. He smiled and nodded.
Any chance for elaboration?

Harder names? Difficult passageways? Less useless trash mobs?

Throw us a bone!!!

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Have you thought about Oculus Rift support at all? My understanding is it is quite easy to implement with Unity.

TragedyAnn_sl

shitlord

I am completely spoiled by flying mounts. I was flying around VG the other night and thought "this is kinda like cheating". I love my flying mounts, but totally agree they make things too easy. I thought I would loathe not having any type of mount but when I started playing gw2, I didn't really miss the mounts. It was almost refreshing.

Can mobs please go back to visibly holding and using the weapon they're about to drop? Like say, Willsapper. And make use of effects on their gear, like FBSS hasting the frenzy frog's melee.
I completely agree. If a mob is going to use a weapon, they should be USING THE WEAPON. If they don't have a weapon visible in the fight, then they should not be getting the benefits of that weapon. In other words, a mob who is not holding a weapon should NEVER show that they are doing weapon damage. It should be fist, kick, swipe, bite, etc damage.

This all goes back to what I consider to be one of the main things that made the original EQ feel like a real world; The mobs played the game by the same rules as the players. That is the key. Don't allow the mobs to cheat. Create a world. Set physical constraints. Make the mobs and players play under those constraints. If a mob can summon a player running away from them, then so should the player be able to summon a mob running away from them. In other words, no summoning mobs. Either snare, root, or stun me to keep me from running away, or chase me. Don't cheat and magically summon me back to you.

Amaru_sl

shitlord

Feel free to leave flying out all together, we won't mind at all...seriously please.

rrr_img_56242.jpg

Amaru_sl

shitlord
I completely agree. If a mob is going to use a weapon, they should be USING THE WEAPON. If they don't have a weapon visible in the fight, then they should not be getting the benefits of that weapon. In other words, a mob who is not holding a weapon should NEVER show that they are doing weapon damage. It should be fist, kick, swipe, bite, etc damage.
/agree

Daelos

Guarding the guardians
Have you thought about Oculus Rift support at all? My understanding is it is quite easy to implement with Unity.
Your understanding is correct. I'm goofing around in Unity, and adding Rift-support involves, as a minimum:
Importing the library
Drag-dropping the Rift-camera into the scene

Of course - that will just do the camera. In addition, you need to develop a UI designed for the Rift. The way the screens + lenses is designed causes the pixels at the edges of the screen to be larger than the ones in the center, so any UI elements placed in corners or along edges (as they typically are) will not work.
The best Oculus UIs use menus and dialogues centred on the screen.