Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Quaid

Trump's Staff
What version of EQ did you play? Because on my shaman I certainly wasn't back at camp "pulling my dick". I was waiting for that inevitable "Shit big pull incoming, get ready". If the puller was good you had a steady stream of solo or duo pulls without much if any down time and you had to manage your mana bar. If the puller was terrible you had bigger breaks but you also had bigger pulls. It was always fun finding out just what "big pull incoming" meant when they finally brought the mobs back to camp.
Clearly not the same one you were... Or maybe I have a lower tolerance for tedium.

I remember early NTOV sitting around for 5-10 minutes between pulls while our team tried to split mobs. Repeat that 20 times a night. Was a nightmare.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
NTOV is probably the best example of the raid waiting, while the pullers learned. That being said, if you waited 20 times a night like that after the first couple times, your pulling team may have sucked.

Ararkham_sl

shitlord
EQ1 pulling system, even if it was an accident was really good.. I m sick of the "pack" pulling system where CC we used to know on EQ (Enchy, bards..) was important... A good enchy or a good puller could change a whole raid ..

Bring back EQ1 pulling !!

Arar

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
NTOV is probably the best example of the raid waiting, while the pullers learned. That being said, if you waited 20 times a night like that after the first couple times, your pulling team may have sucked.
Ha was typing the same thing. There are also zones where pulling was fast as shit during raids. Personally id rather see games have all these tools. They added flavor to the game.

Bruman

Golden Squire
As a monk on live and P99, yes - pulling is tons of fun (for the puller).

However, as a mechanic, I'd agree with Draegan that it's dumb. Why do the other creatures happily stand around when their camp is being attacked, that they can plainly see?

I'd be fine with seeing it go the way of the dodo, along with things like static spawns and respawn timers and such - if it was replaced with a more compelling mechanic that helped the world actually feel alive.

That said - I'm also 100% fine if this is not the game for that type of forward-thinking outside-the-box direction. I'll split that shit for you, just give me a FD button.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Even if they don't have pulling in the way we're discussing, I hope there is a much bigger focus on crowd control than in the many MMO's since EQ.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As a monk on live and P99, yes - pulling is tons of fun (for the puller).

However, as a mechanic, I'd agree with Draegan that it's dumb. Why do the other creatures happily stand around when their camp is being attacked, that they can plainly see?

I'd be fine with seeing it go the way of the dodo, along with things like static spawns and respawn timers and such - if it was replaced with a more compelling mechanic that helped the world actually feel alive.

That said - I'm also 100% fine if this is not the game for that type of forward-thinking outside-the-box direction. I'll split that shit for you, just give me a FD button.
But it's not a pulling issue.. It's an AI issue. Those same aggro ranges existed in other games where pulling was not in. That's why I don't understand his comment. It's not pulling it's the AI. Leashing mobs to AE burn was no more fun than pulling IMO.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I think the duration of content is the problem, not the lack of mechanics. For example, WOW made you grind dungeons over and over for points instead of drops. This leads to efficiency behavior. People will start grinding out dungeons as fast as possible and repeat them. Because they also only took you 15-25 minutes to complete you never had enough time to create social bonds.

I think it has more to do with the duration of events (dungeon diving) and the motivation for having them.

The longer you are together with people, the more likely you are to speak with them in some social aspect. The longer something is known to be prior to starting it, the more prone you are to accepting breaks and other downtime. But if you know you have to do 5 dungeons today to get your new shiny, you're just going to rush dungeons as fast as possible because the dungeon itself is only a means to an end.

Which is why I detest token based loot progression.
I'd agree with this, yeah. I hate token based progression, for a lot of reasons.

When you were deep in those old WOW Vanilla dungeons, time loss was as much as a motivator. Not only that a 2nd or 3rd wipe might make soemone give up and you'd have to start from scratch because it took you 20-60m to get a group, get to the dungeon and start. This fights weren't mechanically difficult in any case.
Yeah, BRD had a big penalty but I think the risk was more difficult to abate from a social perspective in comparison to EQ--but I think overall, BRD was more conducive to the whole "meeting" people than later dungeons, yes. I think, however, there are ways to design a game overall that would be even more conducive to that goal than BRD was, while actually being more accessible in terms of time, and more importantly skill, than BRD was. In EQ, fights were even easier, classes were less complex but the penalties were harder and the results of good team work were even more pronounced--for example. So explaining and moving carefully became even more important, even in a game where the actual class based difficulty was far lower (Usually).

I think it's a case where simplicity and risk abatement is a more powerful social initiator than complexity and reward accumulation. In other words, when mechanics are simple, the complexity tends to form around interactions between people, and in that case, when risk is also high? It makes people interact. I guess an example would be league of legends. It has pretty simple inputs/variables but through the meta play with others, it becomes a fairly complex game where even little mistakes can produce massive negatives (IE high risk--DOTA is even higher)--so it rewards team play and social play (Which is probably why toxicity in that game is so apparent.)

So, in terms of BRD, I think if the main goal was risk abatement (Even more so) and the main complexity comes from character interaction with each other and the world (But less individual complexity), it would have produced a game that gravitated toward even more social interaction (Rather than getting lost in mashing your own keyboard)

As for what I meant by social interaction? I pretty much want any, really heh. I know you can't watch the vid, but even a little talking changes peoples behaviors by a HUGE amount. BRD, I agree, did induce some talking--and that's good. (Heck, most guilds I knew flourished from vanilla WoW and dungeons like BRD--so yeah, it worked) But I think if you were to design a game more around the concepts above, you could induce even more strategy discussions--which I think might be helpful in a game-world where grouping is the focus.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Even if they don't have pulling in the way we're discussing, I hope there is a much bigger focus on crowd control than in the many MMO's since EQ.
Crowd control is part of it, but I would prefer to use the terminology of strategic group combat which includes CC. Stuns/slows/roots are fine, but environment manipulation (magical walls, altering terrain etc.) though that is more difficult to do.

Mahulk_sl

shitlord
Token based loot progression has its place, but only as a side dish to a main course. It's fine for the filthy casual people because they can still advance their characters and be rewarded for play. But the good stuff, the items people talk about, remember, and sell in the E.C. Tunnel should come from drops, not point-buys. So, I'm with you there.
Tokens as a mean to ensure you get something out of running a dungeon/raid 60 times is somewhat understandable, but DDO system of picking a loot from the dungeon/raid drop table after 20 completion made more sense to me. I think I still prefer EQ's total randomness even if it's frustrating sometimes.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Token games don't use much CC because the content is really level(ilvl) appropriate for a very short window, and then they make you grind trivial content every day/week for points. So of course you dont use CC in trivial content. We didn't use CC in seb either when we went back and cleared it in VT gear for giggles.

Devs can't tune those dungeons so that they are doable by people in leveling gear and also still hard enough that they require CC by the people who are being forced back through that content because of a token treadmill.

Hard problem to really solve since they are caught between wanting to prolong the life of content beyond a few weeks and people complaining that there is no challenge in doing content that they massively overgear.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
The complexity issue is another thing I really think future games need to address as well. Games seem to waffle between simple and complex combat system. Rift was simple with it's macro system. This offered almost zero interaction for the most part. Then you have complex, which are classes that have to maintain 3 dots, 2 buffs, 10 abilities and worry about positioning at the same time.

The more complex combat is the more attention you have to spend on it. These leads to short dungeons, because that much focus for too long becomes tiring for players.

Conversely simplistic combat system lead to tedium and boredom which is unhealthy of any aspect of a game (See: Wildstar).

This is why I'm an advocate for limited ability sets. Which is why, as you mentioned, MOBAs are probably the most popular online medium right now. Easy to play, hard to master and very fun to actually watch. When was the last time an MMORPG was fun to watch?

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Tokens as a mean to ensure you get something out of running a dungeon/raid 60 times is somewhat understandable, but DDO system of picking a loot from the dungeon/raid drop table after 20 completion made more sense to me. I think I still prefer EQ's total randomness even if it's frustrating sometimes.
Tokens just replaced experience, really. In EQ you went into dungeons mainly for the experience, especially after AA's came out. This had the benefit of keeping loot from accumulating so quickly. But the individual reward per each dungeon trip was that your character got a little more powerful--so there was no need to make item power more fungible through tokens.

Merlin_sl

shitlord
I liked the bind soul mechanic, and the porting in eq1, specifically that wiz vs druid were different ports, and that the porter went with you. Some group asking me for a port to plane of hate for a corpse run was actually a risky proposition. in fact, I think it would be a great idea to make most of the port destinations (if there is going to be ports) risky/hostile. if they are used enough players will keep the area safe just with through traffic, if not, then you may want to be prepared to die.
I actually did read it all for the record but that first paragraph really stuck out. After about my 10th port to Skyshrine I would tell whoever wanted the ride,"Dude, this ones gonna cost ya. Not gonna lie. Not doing a nice "whatever you can afford" on this ride".Nearly every fucking time I would zone in a fucking Ancient guardian wurm would aggro and start whoopin everyones ass. And being a wizzy, I was always the first to eat shit. So I had two rules. 1. Its gonna cost ya, and 2. If I have a group who are going different places, your the last because there's a good chance were gonna die.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Conversely simplistic combat system lead to tedium and boredom which is unhealthy of any aspect of a game (See: Wildstar).

This is why I'm an advocate for limited ability sets. Which is why, as you mentioned, MOBAs are probably the most popular online medium right now. Easy to play, hard to master and very fun to actually watch. When was the last time an MMORPG was fun to watch?
Yes, I agree. If you make your game "simple" in terms of the input, you really need to make it complex total strategy. A very simple ability, if it's designed to interact in unique ways with other classes abilities and with the environment? Can become enormously complex in group play, even if the changes to the ability are subtle. But yeah, if you strip the complexity from the ability set, you need to add it to the overall strategy of the game--or else you just wind up with a boring game.

MOBAs do that really well, and I think most MMO's can learn how to do a version of that for themselves. I also always point to TCG games as a good example of how a game can span that difference between tactical (The actual card game) and strategic (Deck construction). I think siphoning out some complexity from the classes, and placing it into preparing groups or understanding how buffs interact--can create it's own interesting games in terms of "group construction". Anyway, lots of ideas, I hope this game isn't afraid to explore them.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
You're right... Our pullers were the most frustrating part of my otherwise awesome guild