Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Laerazi_sl

shitlord
I can't imagine the type/quality of MMO that will come from a Kickstarter campaign.. MMOs ALWAYS require far more budget and time than anticipated, and this game is going to be catering to a specific audience.

I'd be really wary, for those putting their hopes in this game.. especially given Brad's track record with time/resource management. This team is going to have to be super efficient and on-target with what they want, or they're going to end up with another unfinished mess of unrealized potential.

a_skeleton_04

<Banned>
I don't like seeing Kickstarter used this way necessarily - I'd prefer it for true indies. But if folks like Brad and Garriott are going to use it to raise $5-$30mil+ I would hope they continue fund raising on their own sites and via traditional VC after that.

Unity engine (or any engine) is going to save money but devs have to eat and no one is gonna wanna play a $5 mil mmo unless it's extremely limited in scope and lobby oriented. That's not the game anyone is clamoring for.

Let's see what the Kickstarter says though.

Lethality

Lord Nagafen Raider
He had me at ""Instead, we would like to encourage some form of merchant role with a focus on certain locations and regions." He speaks, for instance, of an ideal situation in which players would farm materials from a dangerous part of the world, bring them back to more civilized zones and make a profit owing to the time and effort involved."

Vandraad_sl

shitlord
McQuaid describes Terminus as a world where fallen dimensional planes rub up against each other like tectonic plates, and jealous God Kings roam the motley environment seeking devotees lest they lose their tenuous divinity to their neighbors...One of the most notable concepts McQuaid mentions is the potential for each of their dimensions to present their own climates and physics.
Which one will be PoEarth and not finished upon delivery?

delirium_sl

shitlord
Other interesting tidbits:

McQuaid says players will have to formulate tactics and strategies of their own to succeed, and will have to bring the right equipment, abilities, and items for specific encounters. "You're also not going to have 47 clickies up on the screen," he says. "You've got to think to yourself, 'I've only got 12 slots, I need to decide how many offensive spells I'm going to put in here, how many defensive, and the like.'"

So looks like we will have 12 slots

McQuaid says, although the exact details of what this content would entail were still being discussed at the time of the interview. In line with that, leveling could end up focusing on more "horizontal" content than "vertical," so (in McQuaid's words) you end up with as much content in 20 levels as you normally would in 50.

Possible level cap of 20.

arallu

Golden Knight of the Realm
Cliff notes?
  • Scheduled for an official listing on Kickstarter later today
  • McQuaid describes Terminus as a world where fallen dimensional planes rub up against each other like tectonic plates
  • the potential for each of their dimensions to present their own climates and physics
  • "epic planar high fantasy." ... And it will be hard.
  • dwarves, elves, and an assortment of humans will populate the world, with more if stretch goals are met
  • "We're not going to put in repetitive content or grinding just to make the game more 'difficult' or to slow down the gamers."
  • most of the content will revolve around a "sweet" class-based combat system incorporating the best aspects of modern and older designs
  • "There's still an auto-attack and you're still selecting abilities and spells, but it's also reactive in that the NPC will have 'tells' that let you know what they're about to do."
  • McQuaid mentions a system of watching for "graphics on the floor" reminiscent of WildStar's telegraphs, as well as the idea that "there may be a target on your friend's chest" indicating that a projectile is about to fire
  • limited slots, not 47 on screen, more like 12: "You've got to think to yourself, 'I've only got 12 slots, I need to decide how many offensive spells I'm going to put in here, how many defensive, and the like.'
  • "less of a difference between grouping and raiding" and players assembling in larger groups earlier than they normally would
  • both the open world and in instances ... yet to formulate an exact ratio
  • leveling could end up focusing on more "horizontal" content than "vertical ... as much content in 20 levels as you normally would in 50
  • "We're probably not going to have a global marketplace," ... "we would like to encourage some form of merchant role with a focus on certain locations and regions."
  • the team at Visionary Realms, Inc., which currently consists of no more than 10 industry veterans, with around 10 more awaiting funding

Drakonar

Molten Core Raider
The only thing that bothers me is the tells/telegraph stuff. "Farming" the UI during fights is bad enough. The rest all sounds good.

But... really need a Burned Woods zone whose entrance location changes monthly. And a sow-type spell has the particle effect on the recipient of a raining shower of gold bricks.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
You could have copied and pasted that from the original Vanguard interviews, almost word for word.