Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Dumar_sl

shitlord
I would focus or dedicate some time in your PR in describing to people who've never played EverQuest why you're doing this. For us here, all the info just makes sense given our history. But to someone raised on WoW, they don't know what they don't know. So I wouldn't just say 'highly group-focused, class interdependent' in your FAQs and videos, but explain why that's a good choice and how it adds to the experience. Explain why.

And I would really stress the dungeons. Those people don't even KNOW what a social dungeon IS.

Aradune_sl

shitlord
Yeah, agree. I remember making several friends in EQ due me giving away something, or someone giving me something. Personally I think everything in the game should be tradeable like Firiona Vie was in EQ. The amount of fun I had going from a high end raid guild on a normal server to a high end raid guild on Firiona Vie went up immensly. When one person upgraded an item, they passed down their old item, then that person passed down their item, etc. There were some good nights when nearly everyone in the raid would get an upgrade, it was a blast.

When I said I want to see Bind on Account, I meant in place of BOE (Would still allow self twinking, handing off old items), if the devs feel like they have to have some kind of bind system. Everything tradeable is my preference though.
The FV server was the last thing I worked on before leaving SOE back then. I'm a big believer in alternate ruleset servers.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I suggest getting an eqmaps style dungeon layout posted ASAP. A very complex one would be ideal. Show people what's up in your hood.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
Yes, so when you release a portion of lore for example, releasing a 'recently discovered' map of a deep, dark dungeon mentioned in the lore release would be awesome. Build up and release the context of the dungeon/world design through the lore releases.

In the ruins of Old Sebilis...

Aradune_sl

shitlord
Brad Could we maybe move away from the telegraphs on the floor and such, and If you are going to have a bit of the actiony combat, use Tera as a model instead of Wildstar. Telegraphs on the floor are for less intelligent players. Tera had the mobs have actual motions that would insinuate that they were going to do something you needed to block or dodge. In comparison Wildstar is a kiddie game. Please don't put something in that treats us as inferior to the game.
I want to see how our implementation turns out. One of my mantras I use when in design meetings is this: there's the Idea and then there's the Implementation of that idea. Let's take underwater adventuring... a lot of people haven't liked how it's been implemented in the past. My reaction is 1. we will look at those systems and make sure we don't implement the same and 2. I think the Idea is sound and we want to give it a shot ourselves. I'm pretty old school, and if telegraphing turns out to be a problem (or any of the other newer more modern mechanics that we're talking about) then we'll back away from it. But I want to see the our own Implementation first.

Anomander Rake

Golden Knight of the Realm
Hi Brad! As I mentioned before, I am super pumped to see you working on a new project. Vanguard is a great game, even unfinished, and the classes in that game are the best in any MMORPG. I spent quite a bit of time fantasizing as I played about how awesome it could have been had you the opportunity to truly flesh it out. It was a world, not a theme park imo. There isn't anyone else making mmo's out there quite like you, and I can't wait to see what you have planned (/fanboy off).

I have a question, and not sure if it has been brought up before. One of the issues that I am concerned about is how you might intend to answer the potential problem of chunks of levels without people to group with as the game matures. Typically, unless you are the 1% poopsocker, or the 75% slow pokes, you can get stuck at a certain level with no one else to group up with and tackle necessary content. Now I don't want to take anything away from those top 1%, and I will likely be closer to that end than the other, but there comes a timer when I have to take breaks (as a small business owner) and then catch back up as much as I can. Have you given any thought to this, or do you not forsee this as a problem with your game? I imagine if it is more like EQ, then there won't be specific level zones, and more of a zone that has content for all levels (for each and every zone or area). Does what I am saying make sense?

Also, if there is anyway I can help get the word out about this kickstarter, please let me know.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I would focus or dedicate some time in your PR in describing to people who've never played EverQuest why you're doing this. For us here, all the info just makes sense given our history. But to someone raised on WoW, they don't know what they don't know. So I wouldn't just say 'highly group-focused, class interdependent' in your FAQs and videos, but explain why that's a good choice and how it adds to the experience. Explain why.

And I would really stress the dungeons. Those people don't even KNOW what a social dungeon IS.
^^. I posted something today in regards to dungeons.. If you guys have one done or partially, it would be great to see a walkthrough....someone to talk about grouping as they show us around.. Doesn't need to be populated just some solid concept art will do with what we should expect to see in regards to challenge and unique encounters, etc..

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Brad curious if you see players initially working towards armor sets and possibly epic weapons per class? Somewhat of a nod to what EQ offered via PoH and PoF? I really grew bored of running an instanced set of dungeons in more recent MMO's to complete some currency that allowed me to purchase armor sets and weapons. I think invading planes and large scale quests are much more immersive.

Khayos_sl

shitlord
I want to see how our implementation turns out. One of my mantras I use when in design meetings is this: there's the Idea and then there's the Implementation of that idea. Let's take underwater adventuring... a lot of people haven't liked how it's been implemented in the past. My reaction is 1. we will look at those systems and make sure we don't implement the same and 2. I think the Idea is sound and we want to give it a shot ourselves. I'm pretty old school, and if telegraphing turns out to be a problem (or any of the other newer more modern mechanics that we're talking about) then we'll back away from it. But I want to see the our own Implementation first.
I really want the Telegraphing Brad, I just dont want to be hand held by it like in Wildstar. Telegraphing as I said has been implemented in two games so far. Wildstar and Tera. Tera is the superior version of it because it makes players pay attention to the mob, not the floor. Wildstar is look at the floor Online. They are both Telegraphing systems, but one is more challenging than the other because it doesn't hand hold.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I suggest getting an eqmaps style dungeon layout posted ASAP. A very complex one would be ideal. Show people what's up in your hood.
Would love to see even a sketch of a layout for a non-instanced map that shows they're for real on old-school dungeons.

Aradune_sl

shitlord
I really want the Telegraphing Brad, I just dont want to be hand held by it like in Wildstar. Telegraphing as I said has been implemented in two games so far. Wildstar and Tera. Tera is the superior version of it because it makes players pay attention to the mob, not the floor. Wildstar is look at the floor Online. They are both Telegraphing systems, but one is more challenging than the other because it doesn't hand hold.
Gotcha. This game isn't about hand holding much past the first few levels, so I think we'll come up with a system you like.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
Would love to see even a sketch of a layout for a non-instanced map that shows they're for real on old-school dungeons.
That would be HUGE for people who are interested in backing the game, but are being a bit shy. It has been said around this community for years...

Don't tell us, show us.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Yep. And you give, and give, and give, and people like me are the thanks you get!
wink.png

I always liked the idea of having 'official' communities that were supported by the game. Let fan sites do a lot of the heavy lifting in exchange for some shout-out cred. Makes a wider community than official forums, which are usually shit anyhow.
Not only that, but empty forums look shitty for your game.

asocirev_sl

shitlord
FFXIV telegraphs as well, I don't feel like a kiddie because they use that mechanic. What's interesting is they slowly remove the telegraphs as the encounters get harder. The kiddies go splat while more seasoned players casually sidestep.

Khayos_sl

shitlord
FFXIV telegraphs as well, I don't feel like a kiddie because they use that mechanic. What's interesting is they slowly remove the telegraphs as the encounters get harder. The kiddies go splat while more seasoned players casually sidestep.
I can understand a Telegraph on the floor because a mob is casting something that is coming out of the ground, or falling from the sky. However for everything else, it should be paying attention to the mob, not the floor. Playing floor online is no different than hotbar online. LOL

Aela_sl

shitlord
Okay, I leave for an hour, come back...hit refresh...and I have an avatar? Who is..

<<<<That? ..and why is she a cat?