Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I feel like week two or three will be telling. I assumed by the first day or two it'd be an easy read but Pantheon is throwing off my radar. Ideally it'll get beyond $110K today and I think rehauling the Kickstarter page over the next week should bring in more contributors. I continue to pull for it. We've got a nice little community forming at Project Pantheon and missing funding would likely kill all momentum there, too.

We'll see how difficult it is to slog through to $200,000. This whole KS is going to feel like a hell level.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Just hard to justify me throwing money at them for an idea. It's not that I can't afford it, but to "fund" a game development that won't be released for 3+ years and we don't know anything about it......Just doesn't sit rigt with me. I'll wait till release if I still have time for MMOs then.

*who am I kidding never gonna stop gaming
Perfectly valid stance.

Arthanis

Trakanon Raider
This whole KS is going to feel like a hell level.
This.

It's going pretty slow
frown.png
. I know that it just started but I don't see it keeping momentum through the days, money is going up really slow

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
I feel like week two or three will be telling. I assumed by the first day or two it'd be an easy read but Pantheon is throwing off my radar. Ideally it'll get beyond $110K today and I think rehauling the Kickstarter page over the next week should bring in more contributors. I continue to pull for it. We've got a nice little community forming at Project Pantheon and missing funding would likely kill all momentum there, too.

We'll see how difficult it is to slog through to $200,000. This whole KS is going to feel like a hell level.
I am setting the over/under for today at 103k . (By midnight EST)

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Also, I think vanguard came at the wrong time. Kind of ahead of its time, really. Back then people were all over WoWs balls and how to make shit easyer, quality of life crap that people are just now realizing, after countless other wow like clones, that some of that shit just ruins the game.

I think all the WoW crap just had to run its course. Most of us can look back and see how a lot of that quality of life stuff that made WoW and all its clones what they are was just bad for the genre.

Dont get me wrong, wow is a good game and I played the shit out of it, but it has no soul after a few exp packs and the drastic changes it underwent. It ended up being a glorified lobby game, and dont get me wrong, there is a place for those kind of games, of course. But IMO its just not what a true MMORPG should be.

So here we are today. IMO I think the genre is ripe to put the breaks on all that shit and revisit what we had in the past.

Lohk_sl

shitlord
I dunno. I played Vanguard quite heavily when it came out. The game was not finished, entire zones were not populated with mobs or even loot. The boat system was a disaster and item duping destroyed the economy. To say Vanguard was "ahead of it's time" I disagree with. I think, in theory, it married the EQ style with updated systems and graphics well. I just have a hard time backing someone like McQuaid after the disaster that was Vanguard. Especially since EQ Next will be releasing before Pantheon and most certainly we'll be getting info on Blizzard's new MMO this year.

Can Pantheon even compete? Even though it tries to sell itself to the "niche" market? :\

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There are a lot of people on he sideline watching. It's double edges sword bc there is no sense of urgency for them to get in yet.. When the good stuff starts to dry up they will donate to get alpha

Merlin_sl

shitlord
I dunno. I played Vanguard quite heavily when it came out. The game was not finished, entire zones were not populated with mobs or even loot. The boat system was a disaster and item duping destroyed the economy. To say Vanguard was "ahead of it's time" I disagree with. I think, in theory, it married the EQ style with updated systems and graphics well. I just have a hard time backing someone like McQuaid after the disaster that was Vanguard. Especially since EQ Next will be releasing before Pantheon and most certainly we'll be getting info on Blizzard's new MMO this year.

Can Pantheon even compete? Even though it tries to sell itself to the "niche" market? :\
It was well known and documented that Brad stated multiple times the game was not ready to be released. You can blame him for mismanaging the funding but you cannot fault him or the game for being released in an unfinished state.

Poin Dexter_sl

shitlord
A few things here:

Rework the Kick Starter. Seriously, everyone is agreeing you can do better with that.

The last thing I ever want to see in my MMO is staring at the mob's feet for a batman style *SLASH!* *POW!* *BANG!* Seriously.

For those who are against water dungeons... Kedge Keep. One of the most fun experiences I had in original EQ. That was pretty unforgiving for the level of the content.

Brad: During a live event in you hosted in EQ I PM'd that I hated you and your game for a number of reasons (cough cough firey avenger quest). What surprised me was you responded that you were sorry to hear that. You showed more class than I did. I retired from EQ with /played 464 days on my paladin. Thank you for giving us EQ.

I look forward to checking out Pantheon.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Most of the other similar projects on Kicktraq seem to fall off the financial cliff after about 3 days and then pick back up again for the final few days of funding. Brad had better hope Pantheon is different because he's lacking the big initial burst most funded projects seem to get.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>

What I meant to say is that a game like Vanguardcame outahead of its time, not that it was ahead of its time in features.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
I played VG also very heavily throughout the beta until Pantheon of the Ancients and I enjoyed the game but it was very broken. Broken in the sense Lohk mentioned above with content, broken with exploits, and raiding should never have been released when it was (2 years late and unplayable for weeks).

The good things VG did right (imo) were grouping early on for some of the questlines and dungeons. Grouping and open world content at 50 were pretty awesome too, having to camp the mobs that had a chance to drop the molds for your dungeon armor or camping Hegnarian for your weapon even.

Lohk_sl

shitlord
It was well known and documented that Brad stated multiple times the game was not ready to be released. You can blame him for mismanaging the funding but you cannot fault him or the game for being released in an unfinished state.
Wasn't the game releasing unfinished the result of the mismanaged funding? :\

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Also, I think vanguard came at the wrong time. Kind of ahead of its time, really. Back then people were all over WoWs balls and how to make shit easyer, quality of life crap that people are just now realizing, after countless other wow like clones, that some of that shit just ruins the game.

I think all the WoW crap just had to run its course. Most of us can look back and see how a lot of that quality of life stuff that made WoW and all its clones what they are was just bad for the genre.

Dont get me wrong, wow is a good game and I played the shit out of it, but it has no soul after a few exp packs and the drastic changes it underwent. It ended up being a glorified lobby game, and dont get me wrong, there is a place for those kind of games, of course. But IMO its just not what a true MMORPG should be.

So here we are today. IMO I think the genre is ripe to put the breaks on all that shit and revisit what we had in the past.
The thing is people do remember Vanguard as a shitfest and will not get beyond that, at least beyond it to fund another game through kickstarter.

Honestly, I think it's remote this gets fully funded (not the kickstarter goal, but the 6 million stretch goal). Even if it does, there's just not a whole lot of confidence in 3 years time it's going to turn out how most want it to. How many games have started out with grand ideas turn out to release with only a quarter of them realized, especially MMO's? Now we're doing that again, with Brad (and all his history) behind it?

I dunno, I won't contribute money for an 'idea' but I wish them luck. If it's everything they say it's going to be, I'll buy a copy for old times sake.

Grave_sl

shitlord
Brad said MS was unable to give them 6 more months of funding (which, let's be real, you know it needed more than 6 months) which is less about mismanaged funding and more about a mismanaged development schedule / overblown scope like I mentioned before. Also, not sure what happened on the art side with that game, but I hope Pantheon doesn't suffer the same. The world looked good, but character models and animations were absolutely atrocious and that's one of the first things that will turn someone away. They have to like their character to care about continuing at all.

We'll never know how it all went down, but this type of thing never rests on one person's shoulders. Brad might've been part of the problem, but there had to be issues elsewhere also.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Qeynos, Sony EQ. Qeynos, Sony EQ.

j74SykU.gif
So long ago now but I seem to recall Qeynos was based on a city in Sojourn (as was much of EQ1). Can't remember what the city was called in the MUD.

Still a lot of ideas we could implement from MUDs that would enrich an MMO.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The unfinished state was a direct result of mismanaging the funding. How can you blame him for the reason but not the result?