Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I'd agree with you if he didn't say "We've been working hard since September at this pro bono." To me that means, you know...they've been working hard.
Dreaming shit up is hard work!

Fuuuugghhh.... I'm not even sure if I'm sarcastic or not. I mean, I'm being sarcastic, but in reality it takes a lot of mental 'work' to get creative endeavors like this done. And beer.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
The "we're not experts on Kickstarter" line irritates me every time someone mentions it.

No shit Brad ,that's obvious. And no one was expecting you to be experts and put up the #1 Kickstarter site , but we weren't expecting you to go full shit and make it look like you didn't even bother to look at other sites.

I just think it's common sense if you are about to ask for millions of dollars to take one day and look over 20-30 other Kickstarters that have been funded and are in the process of and model it somewhat like it.

The Camelot Unchained one should have popped out as one to look at it considering it's another ex rockstar (using the term loosely ) mmo dev trying it on his on. Jacobs put on a textbook Kickstarter site and campaign. Just a little effort into emulating that would have been nice.

The excuses just get old.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Nope, didn't even know this site existed until a friend pointed this thread out. But I fail to see the point. If I had read the other stuff, I am assuming to educate myself on how disgusting you guys are, does it make it ok to talk to a lady like that?

"Oh uh, yeah, if you had read the butt secks thread, my personal favorite, you would know how gross we are. You'd also know we're all single. And this makes it completely ok for me to ask you to show your tits."
The reason people are saying stuff like this is because on two occasions, a person said they were a woman, rose to the ranks of power with their fake vagina and then almost killed the community during their subsequent outing (Literally almost killed it. Once they used their mod powers to mass ban people, the second time they created Morenetz and then shut the site down after we moved, leaving us all in the nether of the internetz). This makes anyone claiming to be a woman? Immediately suspect as a threat to the community. And so people who claim to be women are harassed (Technically the object is to see tits, but no one here ever really expects them, rather the goal of the harassment is to get the person to shut up about their gender and just be content being one of the guys--even if the really are a "lady".)

Just giving you some FOH-History 101, take it for what you will.

Zoeii_sl

shitlord
No, I certainly haven't been. What the fuck is this some sort of goddamn scavenger hunt? Are we meant to go from site to site, hunting down bits and pieces of this fucking up mess and put together the Kickstarter for him? If there is any reason not to give this guy money would be because he is a goddamn retard, if he's seriously doing all this random shit you keep saying and there are hidden clues to updates and game info scattered across the web so fucking what, it certainly isn't where it fucking needs to be which is on the fucking Kickstarter page.

Also to your point about how he would be required to provide refunds, sorry to say Kickstarter is vague enough that all he has to do it try in "good effort" to fulfill them. There are countless stories about people getting fucked over on kickstarter, and even if you pledge $10,000 trying to hire legal representation to get that back isn't worth the effort.

Lastly the only one who ever made gender an issue is you. You don't see other posters talking about their gender, do you? So if people start giving you the "Tits or GTFO" it's something you invited on your own for making it public in the first fucking place.
You guys bitched about them being "dark" on the first few days. Go out into the world you said...tell the world. They did. I see their efforts all over the place. Did you guys know that Brad posted to a bunch of EQ groups on Facebook? Don't get mad when he has gone out and done exactly what you demanded of him.

As to the gender thing, someone wrongly called me a "he." I corrected the statement. I imagine you wouldn't like for me to assume you are a she. Fuck me for wanting to be called by the correct gender.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Quaid, you were one of the guys I liked on here. Don't make yourself out to be an ass. I have faith.
Oh trust me I'm just joking. I don't care who's who or what's what.

You should have seen the Millie stuff. It was a spectacle to behold.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
You guys bitched about them being "dark" on the first few days. Go out into the world you said...tell the world. They did. I see their efforts all over the place. Did you guys know that Brad posted to a bunch of EQ groups on Facebook? Don't get mad when he has gone out and done exactly what you demanded of him.

As to the gender thing, someone wrongly called me a "he." I corrected the statement. I imagine you wouldn't like for me to assume you are a she. Fuck me for wanting to be called by the correct gender.
Yes fuck you indeed for giving a fuck about a generic he, or she on this fucking board. That's crazy cunt talk right there.

And come the fuck off it.. Yes we told him to get out and spread the fucking word "I.E. let everyone know about the goddamn kickstarter" what we didn't tell him to do is feed random info in 30 different fucking places hoping people would follow along and collect the goddamn bread crumbs. You can't make up this level of stupid.

Irongut_sl

shitlord
Damn there are tons of posts. Was skimming over some earlier stuff about Unity / MMO etc.

Unity wouldn't be used for the server code, or it sure as hell shouldn't be. Reading the Unity3d site's scripting information, I see that it isessentially built on top of Mono, an open source .NET platform. Since you can script with C#, Javascript or Boo, it'd be easy to design a half-decent client.

Dedicated server could be written in C++ or C# if you were looking at running it on Windows Server 2008 or 2012, or go with a straight C++ or Mono build and run it on Linux. The database performance becomes an issue when you start growing the total number of concurrent users. Eve online uses 64bit MS SQL Enterprise, iirc. A smaller scale MMO / Persistent game could get away with MySQL - but it lacks the advanced features of MS SQL and Oracle. I've heard some good things about NoSQL. You'd need a master server and a few helper applications, but the workhorse would be your zone servers (if the game was zoned).

Since the server would talk to the Unity client, I'd go with a windows dedicated server coded in C# with the networking as a separate library. There are many garbage collector issues with C# / Java but they all have work arounds and I've found C# to be a much more productive language for development than C++. The game I'm writing now uses C#, OpenTK (OpenGL for .NET) andLidgren Gen 3for the networking. Its stupid easy to get going but I've not seen any large scale tests. Almost all of my netcode is in a separate project so I can tweak it without having to recompile the dedicated server and client.

But enough about my shitty game.

It all comes down to getting a working prototype to test game mechanics and iterate, iterate and then more iteration. Get the gameplay, physics and netcode tight. Stress test the database performance. This can all be done while the art guys do their thing and slowly replace the generic models and textures in the prototype. Run the builds early on Windows and Linux and Mac boxes of all sizes and shapes and go from there.

Building a game is hard, and an MMO exponentially so. But if you have a dedicated team and understand what staying in scope means, it is doable with an indie team. I hope Brad and co use the existing assets for a solid prototype.

I remain skeptical but hope this or a game like it gets built.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
In short, tits or gtfo.
Quaid is always to the point.

Also, I think some folks are a bit miffed at multiple new ,100% shills, showing up and immediately questioning mods and telling the forum in general how they should behave (not referring to you specifically here Zoeii ,last night was the epic tool Trant wasgoing full retard). Using myself as an example I literally lurked the boards on the FoH forums for years as it was amusing as hell, and somewhat knew the major personalities , and registered around 06 when the VG meltdown began just to PM a few folks here and there. Lurked here a bit more before finally deciding to post , and it just seems anyone with a clue would not register on any forum with a history and immediately tell the folks how they should act.

Just seems an invitation to be shit on.

There have been some good new folks though , Troy's ultra positive about the game still being reasonable though and some others are decent too.

Honestly Zoeii you've taken the hits better than several of the others and are more of man than them :p

Maybe don't push the tits factor so much though, unless there are pics.

I'd say if you really want to get the feel of the boards get Fedor to pm you some historical videos.

Dulldain_sl

shitlord
The problem again is communication and the KS. Everytime he goes somewhere he needs to post it on the KS Frontpage in bright red letters or do a summary or something or anything. Getting the information out there is good but dammit what about the pleb who just found the KS page and is thinking about backing? Or the peolple on the fence or the backers with a friend on the fence? Geees anger rising again.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
So we got another alt account tranny looking for desperate dudes to send dick pics or some fat bitch that will eventually trade shitty tit pics for pills and favors?

Zoeii_sl

shitlord
Yes fuck you indeed for giving a fuck about a generic he, or she on this fucking board. That's crazy cunt talk right there.

And come the fuck off it.. Yes we told him to get out and spread the fucking word "I.E. let everyone know about the goddamn kickstarter" what we didn't tell him to do is feed random info in 30 different fucking places hoping people would follow along and collect the goddamn bread crumbs. You can't make up this level of stupid.
Unbelievable. Next time you give him a suggestion, please include an instruction manual. You guys told him to go out and get word out. You didn't tell him to make sure to document it on the Kickstarter. You guys are mad because they messed the tiers and shit up but hell, you guys can't even give him detailed instructions on what you want...so you blame him when he does as you command.

And man it is easy for me to get your panties in a wad. Here, hop on the couch next to your bestie girl friend Zoeii, tell me all about your bad day.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I imagine you wouldn't like for me to assume you are a she. Fuck me for wanting to be called by the correct gender.
Well, he is the proper pronoun assumption for ambiguous or undefined in English (IE if you don't know the gender, it defaults masculine). If we were using a language that specified unknown in withfeminineand I had no way to prove my gender and I was posting in a community that had issues with gender masquerading? Then no--I wouldnotmind being called a she. Then again, I'm not actually a mangina seeking attention, so wanting to be the center of attention because of my gender is not part of my prerogative. To each their own though.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Unbelievable. Next time you give him a suggestion, please include an instruction manual. You guys told him to go out and get word out. You didn't tell him to make sure to document it on the Kickstarter. You guys are mad because they messed the tiers and shit up but hell, you guys can't even give him detailed instructions on what you want...so you blame him when he does as you command.

And man it is easy for me to get your panties in a wad. Here, hop on the couch next to your bestie girl friend Zoeii, tell me all about your bad day.
That's why people are pissed. No one here should have to tell them what to do, no one here should have to tell him to post the same info in parallel on their kickstarter. We're just a bunch of forum neckbeards and we can't believe the "pros" are behaving so stupidly. Especially when there are TONS of examples they could just copy/paste from.

DURRRRRFuck