Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
EQ was in no way a better game or MMO than WOW. I'm all over this EQ nostalgia, but come on... we left in fucking DROVES from EQ to WOW for the very reasons some of you fuckstains wax poetic about EQ now. EQ was a TERRIBLE game, but a fun, new and addicting experience. WOW was a good game. Big difference.
I disagree... we all left EQ because we've had too much. It's like eating your favorite meal everyday. However, it wasn't all "too much of a good thing", not only had we lived it and breathed it, some of their development decisions wearer on us. We played EQ until we were sick and then they made some stupid mistakes. WoW offered everything we didn't want to see another minute of in a MMO. It was a great IP and backed by a name we trusted.

I'm not taking away from WoW but it's timing was prefect if not well overdue.

Flc_sl

shitlord
I don't care as to the content of his post. I was referring to the way he approached his first post. Ohh, and he didn't start crying and telling us how mean we all are here. As to his content, some I agree with, some I don't, but at least it was well written.
Please stop being mean. I'm one of the staff members of Visiona... I mean I'm a girl.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
WoW took the nice juicy and fresh diner burger, froze it, mass produced it and released it to the masses like McDonalds. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
That may be where WoW is now, but that's not where WoW was during Vanilla and TBC. It wasn't until Wrath that the hardcore nerf it to casual trend really took root.

Lysis

N00b
Brad should have hired a film crew to document his progress. Pantheon the MMO may not get made, but Pantheon the reality show would be a hit.

Edit: Is he the David Brent of MMOs?

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think right now the writing is on the wall. Either they are scrambling to come up with some more shit to share, or they all but gave up.
Well they did say they were busting their asses to get content for the KS.. Could be a team meeting.. Which needs to happen at this point anyway. Also, they mentioned doing some media stuff as well. Who knows but I don't think it's because they gave up.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
13 hours since Brad tweeted something (a link to a video) on his Twitter.

2 hours since the Panthron Twitter linked the update on the Kickstarter, 7 hours since it noticed we hit 200k, 16 hours since it noticed we were getting close to 200k.
The only thing I can think of (and this is thinking optimistically) is they are at the drawing board in desperation to make a strong last ditch effort. They have 1 or 2 more chances to entice their audience. After that... only the KS comments goon squad will be all that is left.

vazdeline_sl

shitlord
Yes, people left in droves, no denying that. And it was a better game at the time. But then over the years they turned into no more than a lobby game with L and M shaped dungeons. Why? Because they caved with their initial vision of the game to appeal to the masses which wanted easier, faster and loots for everyone.
^^ This, but I wouldn't (personally) say it was a better game at the time, more-so that it psychologically appealed to the masses of EQ players that only had the experience of a hard life in a game. When the "Grass is greener on the other side" opportunity presented itself, people jumped ship because it was the path of least resistance. Now the future is here, and we discover it was those resistances(in moderation) that actually gave us feelings of excitement and danger.

Merlin_sl

shitlord
They gave the players what they wanted. It got out of hand but it started as good customer service and a development team that actually listened to its audience. Something EQ never had.
Hahahahahaha. Yea, which is exactly why we are all here. Taking all the difficulty out of MMO's, dumbing it down to the lowest common denominator so everyone is the same isn't exactly whats best for WOW or the industry. That's like making sure everyone gets to score the same amount of points in sports so its fair. Not exactly a recipe for success.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
EQ was in no way a better game or MMO than WOW. I'm all over this EQ nostalgia, but come on... we left in fucking DROVES from EQ to WOW for the very reasons some of you fuckstains wax poetic about EQ now. EQ was a TERRIBLE game, but a fun, new and addicting experience. WOW was a good game. Big difference.
bullshit, we left for WoW because GoD and OoW were terrible expansions not worth playing. Planes of Power was fucking awesome. EQ was beyond its prime, but they were 5 awesome years.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm betting not one of you turds bitching about how easy WoW is could have handled Ulduar or Firelands hardmode raids.

Forlaen_sl

shitlord
I'm not a lore nut , but appreciate a decent story of the overall game (no fucking cutscene stories about how I'm the special snowflake though, my character should NOT be part of the lore).To further your point that I agree with about lore is about enhancing the content, this time having far more Lore than content makes it seem almost comical if that's the right word? Not really sure how to describe what I'm saying , as all Lore in video games in made up names and so on , but when you had it representing some actual moving pixels it makes more sense , Lore without the content for a video game just is coming off as goofy. Sorry I'm not being too clear , maybe someone gets the idea of what I'm saying. Just seems Lore is not what they need to be trying to push the game with.
First Post. 14'er. I just wanted to say what I liked in EQ with regard to lore, was that you had to work for it. It was like being an archaeologist or historian trying to find stuff out. You didn't get beat over the head with meaningless anecdotal nonsense that had little or nothing to do with the main theme of the world/history/gods. And I agree that I don't really want to be the special snowflake (no cutscenes please).

I'd also like to say that while I think some here are a bit harsh in their takedowns, especially on people new to these boards, others have made valid and important points about the lack of preparedness Brad & Crew have shown with this KS campaign. Communities exist in all varieties. This is clearly the "Give no fucks" community, which is fine and necessary in an age of mis- or disinformation brought on my internet anonymity. I will continue to view, learn and assess what is shared here, despite the crushing reprisals I will most likely invite with this first post.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Lore is NOT going to bring in money. Lore is fun to read and adds to the color of the game. Here's the kicker though. Lore enhances content, gives it meaning, like it did EQ. However, there isn't much content to enhance. I'm not even talking about in-game content. I'm talking like the EQ movie when we were told about Veshaan creating the world and the purpose of every race. It really catered to you imagination.

Long story short. Lore right now is meaningless unless you are planning on this Kickstarter being used to fun a book series like Lord of the Rings except titled Pantheon.
bullshit, we left for WoW because GoD and OoW were terrible expansions not worth playing. Planes of Power was fucking awesome. EQ was beyond its prime, but they were 5 awesome years.
I was about to say, EQ wasn't really EQ any more by Nov of 04. And I enjoyed vanilla WoW so I'm not hating a bit on it , just some seem to forget how much EQ had changed by then.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
One of the worst things that is happening in the gaming industry, and well, software development in any industry is that every company feels like they "Need" to release something so OMG REVOLUTIONARY MUST OUTDO others, where they could stick with their proven, solid features and make releases to compliment that. My company right now is reverting a bunch of "New" features because guess what: If it isn't broken why fix it.

This consumerist rush is what created shit hole games like WOW, and the 1283189237 other clones that came after it.
I disagree. Theis genre NEEEDS a huge revolution. It does not need to go backward. While yes a old school game like EQ would appease some of us, thats not the answer.

What this genre needs is something like WoW did to EQ. An evolutionary step in another direction, a fresh direction. All we have been seeing in the fantasy mmo genre is nothing but copies of WoW so far for the past 10 yrs. The formula? Solo quests to cap with some sprinkling of multiplayer dungeons. Then at cap either raid for loots or PvP for loots. The only gme that tried something different was GW2 and they sort of failed.

Im kind of looking forward to EQ Next and what they come up with. The entire premise of the story bricks and mob AI is what has me intrigued.

Also you need to look at games like DayZ and Rust, that shit is the future, son. Sandbox, PvP, zombies, crafting.....

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Hahahahahaha. Yea, which is exactly why we are all here. Taking all the difficulty out of MMO's, dumbing it down to the lowest common denominator so everyone is the same isn't exactly whats best for WOW or the industry. That's like making sure everyone gets to score the same amount of points in sports so its fair. Not exactly a recipe for success.
You completely misunderstood what I said. WoW did not start off that way. It was not an "easy" game. You couldn't even realistically 5 man the actual 5 man level 60 dungeons at release. In many ways the game was actually harder because you couldn't reliably FD split, you couldn't AoE stun, you couldn't CC more than one mob at a time per class that had CC, etc. Sure there were other things that were quality of life improvements made but the game was not "dumbed down". Original AQ with it's resist requirements and the severe lack of resist gear. Same thing with Vanilla Naxx and it's ridiculous farming requirements for consumables. WoW was not mouthbreather central, it was in many ways more difficult than EQ because good players couldn't simply break the game like they could in EQ.

You need to put shit in perspective man.

Flc_sl

shitlord
I disagree. Theis genre NEEEDS a huge revolution. It does not need to go backward. While yes a old school game like EQ would appease some of us, thats not the answer.

What this genre needs is something like WoW did to EQ. An evolutionary step in another direction, a fresh direction. All we have been seeing in the fantasy mmo genre is nothing but copies of WoW so far for the past 10 yrs. The formula? Solo quests to cap with some sprinkling of multiplayer dungeons. Then at cap either raid for loots or PvP for loots. The only gme that tried something different was GW2 and they sort of failed.

Im kind of looking forward to EQ Next and what they come up with. The entire premise of the story bricks and mob AI is what has me intrigued.

Also you need to look at games like DayZ and Rust, that shit is the future, son. Sandbox, PvP, zombies, crafting.....
Guild Wars 2 wasn't actually that different. Solo/zerg rush to level cap. Do shitty dungeons for loot. Do WvW for loot. No raids because we didn't think through our combat system enough to support something like this. Monthly story updates for the casuals.