Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
The only things bad about Luclin were the setting and the character models, which could be turned off anyway. Oh and Vex Thal was a bag of dicks.
That was the whole game.... everyday you were in (and stuck) in that setting. Everyday you looked at the character models. Then, when you finally got the end, there was Vex Thal.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I loved Ssra temple though. The whole Shissar thing was very cool. The farming seru-bane and shissar-bane can suck a dick though.

The only things bad about Luclin were the setting and the character models, which could be turned off anyway. Oh and Vex Thal was a bag of dicks.
That and the Centi Longsword singlehandedly crashed the price on nearly every droppable sword that came before it. The mudflation from that expansion was the nuts.

Elidroth_sl

shitlord
Except they half-assed it. It released the same week at WoW's first expansion in a barely playable state; it doesn't take a genius to realize what was going to happen.
Actually, I know exactly what happened and why. Because I was there. I was on the dev team for Vanguard.

Merlin_sl

shitlord
Actually, I know exactly what happened and why. Because I was there. I was on the dev team for Vanguard.
I'll take the nerdrage. My wife and loved Vanguard. Enjoyed every second of playing it. We only quit when they released 50+, wiped our entire experience bar, made sure you could not gain even fair or average experience without moving to the new zones, and making it take 4 weeks per level (keeping in mind we only played a couple hours a day at the time). But you were long gone by then. Vanguard was brilliant. You guys hit it out the park as far as mobs, lore, soundtrack, questing, classes, and it was plain fun.

Lysis

N00b
I would remind you that without SOE's involvement,Vanguard would have never even launched.
That's what should have happened. Neither the studio or the publisher should have let it go live in that condition. VG may have eventually been enjoyed by many, but the ends don't justify the means.

SOE forced the launch... if they waited 6 months and put money into it... Many of us would have been playing it for years. It was the game most of us wanted while SOE was still thinking Wow dollars and we see how that worked for EQ2 and SWG. LOL
IIRC, SOE was paying the bills before launch. I believe they also provided some engineers or something. Regardless, it should not have gone live in the state it did.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
(Not directed at you, but the thought process). Ok yea, but I don't understand this line of thinking. Its like, I own a successful automotive repair shop bringing in a couple million a year so I invest $50k in a 2013 Camero and you get home and it runs like shit. And you tell yourself, fuck it, just gonna park it in the garage and only drive it for beer runs. OR.....rebuild it right? Damn thing is brand new, just fix it and it will run for the next 25 years. I already got the shop, 10 employees, make good money, have all the equipment already at my shop, and am a licensed Chevy repairman. So why in the world would I just let it rot? Makes no sense.
The problem with this is that the auto repair shop is yours. Your business, your money, your risk. Smed doesn't own SOE, he isn't using his own money, and the risk of loss belongs to Sony, not Smed. So when he buys something for the SOE brand he is looking at pure numbers. If they got their hands on Vanguard and realized it was a bigger mess then they first thought the numbers likely told them to invest as little as possible. Don't throw good money after bad basically. Was Vanguard fixable? Sure. Would it be cost effective? No. Just because theycanfix something doesn't mean they should. He answers to people with more expensive suits than him.

The way I look at it is this. If you enjoyed Vanguard at all then look at the time you spent playing it as a gift. That game would of never seen the light of day if any of the people involved in the sale had some common sense. It would of died early and been a distant memory by now. Their bad investment was your gain.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
The problem with this is that the auto repair shop is yours. Your business, your money, your risk. Smed doesn't own SOE, he isn't using his own money, and the risk of loss belongs to Sony, not Smed. So when he buys something for the SOE brand he is looking at pure numbers. If they got their hands on Vanguard and realized it was a bigger mess then they first thought the numbers likely told them to invest as little as possible. Don't throw good money after bad basically. Was Vanguard fixable? Sure. Would it be cost effective? No. Just because theycanfix something doesn't mean they should. He answers to people with more expensive suits than him.

The way I look at it is this. If you enjoyed Vanguard at all then look at the time you spent playing it as a gift. That game would of never seen the light of day if any of the people involved in the sale had some common sense. It would of died early and been a distant memory by now. Their bad investment was your gain.
I don't think Vanguard was a bad investment at all. What do you think SOE spent to fund the last 6 months of development? Because VG sold like 250,000 boxes... That's $15million in revenue.

Oloh_sl

shitlord
3/10 post
The same stuff about SOE ruining VG, etc. started the day it was announced and has been posted in every post remotely related to VG ever since. This is all despite numerous people, of all seniority levels, who were intimately involved in the project all repeatedly saying its not true. It also makes no sense if you take more than 30 seconds to think about it. I don't think I've seen anyone that was actually involved in VGs development that ever said SOE was the problem. I was just basically reminding Elidroth "not wurf" on these forums.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Pretty sure we all know (At least I hope) that SOE didn't ruin VG. A very poorly ran studio and horrible management ruined VG.

And the same thing will happen here unless someone like Shane Dabiri comes in and takes on a producer role. That's not happening.

Bruman

Golden Squire
Pretty sure we all know (At least I hope) that SOE didn't ruin VG. A very poorly ran studio and horrible management ruined VG.

And the same thing will happen here unless someone like Shane Dabiri comes in and takes on a producer role. That's not happening.
Nah dude, their lineup of idea people and designers will totally manage to crank out a game and not at all just burn through funding while producing nothing but word documents and repurposing some existing art.

Seriously guys, you're making me agree with Ut here
frown.png