Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Asherah

Silver Knight of the Realm
To say that EQ was not a smash hit in the days of gaming computers costing $2K and internet connections not even reaching 50% of homes in the US at the time, let alone the world is a fucking fool.
Both EQ and UO certainly performed surprisingly well considering the poorly developed infrastructure at the time. Personally I think that just being able to play online with huge a number of other players in a persistent world was responsible for much of that success. However, even as someone that played and loved EQ at release I think vanilla WoW was vastly superior. WoW degenerated into a boring raid grind after a year or so, but before that it was great.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Whats this miraculous SOE turn around I keep hearing about? That last I was paying attention it was them deliberately constructing polls designed to channel votes to their predetermined outcome, but if polling resulting indicated a differing preferences from the player base they simply recorded a canned PR video telling you that you were wrong and that they're going to do it in their predetermined fashion anyway, followed by a giggling David Georgeson charging $100 for Alpha access and a space suit. What am I missing?

Graye_sl

shitlord
So let me get this straight....

SOE lied to, bacstabbed, and downright cheated a majority of its consumer base, while watering down thier games for over a decade... and a shiney new distraction just erases all of thier wrong, so we should praise them for how much they are listening and treating people.

While this McQuaid guy makes a piss poor fiasco managing the creation of one title and thus should be cursed for life?

This fourm is ripe for a psycology doctoral thesis.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Whats this miraculous SOE turn around I keep hearing about? That last I was paying attention it was them deliberately constructing polls designed to channel votes to their predetermined outcome, but if polling resulting indicated a differing preferences from the player base they simply recorded a canned PR video telling you that you were wrong and that they're going to do it in their predetermined fashion anyway, followed by a giggling David Georgeson charging $100 for Alpha access and a space suit. What am I missing?
The Landmark Alpha experience is super legit. Ponytail is tweeting personally about development issues with a huge degree of transparency. Sometimes he's tweeting at 3am cuz he's still at work kicking ass.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
Landmark "alpha" is the furthest thing from a true alpha I've ever been in. It is more akin to the earliest stages of beta.
Oh my god! The nerve of those fuckers!
rolleyes.png

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
The Landmark Alpha experience is super legit. Ponytail is tweeting personally about development issues with a huge degree of transparency. Sometimes he's tweeting at 3am cuz he's still at work kicking ass.
Ponytail is responsible for pretty much all of the goodwill Sony has been garnering as of late. Dude is on fire with that Twitter account and I bet it sets the norm for any MMO out there to have CONSTANT updates instead of boring weekly updates on what they are working on.

If Brad linked his Twitter account to the Kickstarter in the first place and posted as much as Georgeson does about the day to day makings of the game I bet they would be in a more favorable position.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
So let me get this straight....

SOE lied to, bacstabbed, and downright cheated a majority of its consumer base, while watering down thier games for over a decade... and a shiney new distraction just erases all of thier wrong, so we should praise them for how much they are listening and treating people.

While this McQuaid guy makes a piss poor fiasco managing the creation of one title and thus should be cursed for life?

This fourm is ripe for a psycology doctoral thesis.
dragons prophet is so metal.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I'll give him and SoE credit on this one. It has been the best experience that I can remember during a alpha/beta. All the cards are on the table. DG tweets about fixes or throws pics of people's creation. It is just a really good atmosphere and I cannot help but to get excited about EQNext as well.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
There are a decade of SOE forms and related sub sites. Take off the blinders and go check there. Not my job to cite every instance of a common occurace.

Shall I also cite where oceans have water in them....
Read: 'I have nothing to back up my claims, please go do my research for me.'

Graye_sl

shitlord
Oh my god! The nerve of those fuckers!
rolleyes.png
Just saying.. It is like G2, G3, G4.

It means "something" but there is no hard guideline to define it by.

I've been in Alphas with weekly resets, daily resets, partial content access etc...

It is -almost- unheard of to have nearly the entier game open fir "testing" during an alpha. As you generally are focusing on refining specifics and want to cut down on extra variables.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
you really can't think of any examples off of the top of your head?
I dunno man... I've been happily playing any number of SOE products since 1999. I've always received high value for my money, prompt and effective customer service, and have had a good amount of fun. I certainly have never felt 'lied to and back stabbed'.

...well... Maybe during Planes of Power/PoTime lol.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
dragons prophet is so metal.
I like how they forgot about that game the day after release it was all "Woohoo Dragon's Prophet has mounted combat and it's so metal etc" into crickets once it came out.

Looks like Sony was testing the "Asian games in the U.S." MMO market with Wizardry and Dragon's Prophet and I think they found out the answer. I bet it closes down during 2014 and they stream line there MMO listings to just Unity engine games + EQ 1/2.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Just saying.. It is like G2, G3, G4.

It means "something" but there is no hard guideline to define it by.

I've been in Alphas with weekly resets, daily resets, partial content access etc...

It is -almost- unheard of to have nearly the entier game open fir "testing" during an alpha. As you generally are focusing on refining specifics and want to cut down on extra variables.
I've always understood alpha to be a stage in software's development cycle where not all intended features are in place, but is undergoing internal testing.

Sounds like Landmark to me... They are just selling internal testing access to external users.

Graye_sl

shitlord
Read: 'I have nothing to back up my claims, please go do my research for me.'
Read: I'll suck SOE's dick till I choke on their wad.

I'm not telling you to research for me. I'm not pandering to you bullshit either. You disagree.. You prove me wrong. I'll refute.

That's how it works.

Welcome to the days before one could hide anonomously behind a fourm handle and be an internet superhero.

Ball is in your court. Stand your ground against my comment, with backing to support yours, and I'll refute it after work with a mountain of crap SOE has fed to their players.