Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
McCheese,

Yeah I was just fucking with him and you are probably right about the systems and software point. I agree about the bloat. They don't know exactly what they want to do but I am a fan of the McCafe beverages especially the Frappes. Outside of that, the wings and wraps were pretty large disasters IMO. Throw in the seasonal variety items of top of everything else...what a mess. At least they don't have those shitty Satisfries.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I assumed that by "menu and beverage programs" he means point of sale systems and software, not actually picking stuff that goes on the menu.

*edit* Also, Zzeris, the menu at McDonald's has been far too big for far too long. They've removed some of the bloat but there are still a dozen or more items they could easily get rid of. Burgers, fries, shakes, and sodas. THAT is fucking fast food.
Oh no no I meant actual menu composition, recipe development, product mix, cost analysis, strategic development etc etc. I don't know the first thing about software. I work for a small restaurant group that consists of 5 properties, all with different focuses.

For example, my day today consisted of developing the crispiest buffalo chicken wing skin possible for the brew-pub property. Tested multiple methods, but what seems to be working best is cooking the wings 'sous vide' in an immersion circulator at 167F for 6 hours, freezing them, then blasting them in a deep fryer at 425F until they reach an internal temp of 185F. These things get fucking CRISPY... Like Peking duck crispy.

Then, my team and I developed a 'Buffalo Hot Sauce Powder'. We used acidic salt as the base, add ground dehydrated cayenne, and made a powdered butter using tapioca maltodextrin. We use the powder instead of sauce so the wings stay super crispy, but still have that Frank's Red Hot flavour. The coolest part? When the powdered butter hits your tongue it melts and it feels like a sauce anyway.

It's super fun.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Couldn't you just make powdered Frank's Red Hot sauce by drying it out?
We tried that and it's simply not cost effective. Every pound of wings would get the equivalent of 2 cups of Frank's. We'd have to sell the wings for $12 per pound. Just not acceptable in the market im in.

The method I described sounds labour intensive, but it's really not. The maltodextrin butter takes like 5 minutes and you can make it in big batches. Also, we have a 90L immersion circulator and we can do 50lbs of wings at a time. That's enough for about 5 days, and it's all passive cook time.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
WTB Quaid' chicken wing MMO.
You should see our burgers. They are a thing of beauty. 50% coarse ground 80/20 chuck, 25% finely ground bison brisket, 25% finely ground beef short rib. Fucking incredible, and probably my proudest achievement. I'll take the seasoning blend to my grave.

The garlic bread 'cinnamon buns' (they are just the shape of cinnamon buns, no actual cinnamon involved) are something fuckin else too.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Quaid,

That's really cool. I used to work at Outback and we had a regional guy who did what you do. He was very tight with our district manager and had a very secure, fun job. The recipes then(about 8-10 years ago) were pretty awesome and I think the company has taken several steps back since then. I loved all the homemade recipes but my body is glad to be in another field now. You are making me hungry so stop, lol.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I want Quaid's job.
It's fun, and I am extremely lucky. Unfortunately, the money isn't that great ($62,000) and I don't have much room for advancement within the company. I live in a smallish city so cost of living isn't high at all, though. I'm gonna have to move on to both a bigger company and city if I ever wanna make more. That probably means less freedom too though, so I'm not actively looking around yet.

Spynx_sl

shitlord
It's fun, and I am extremely lucky. Unfortunately, the money isn't that great ($62,000) and I don't have much room for advancement within the company. I live in a smallish city so cost of living isn't high at all, though. I'm gonna have to move on to both a bigger company and city if I ever wanna make more. That probably means less freedom too though, so I'm not actively looking around yet.
62,000 is a decent living for a single income. at least in the midwest it is

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Oh ya for sure. It is here too and I'm definitely being paid the highest in my immediate peer group. Maybe my buddy in real estate is making the same money as me, but that's probably it.

I just hate that I've reached a 'ceiling' in the town I love, and with a company I love. The only position above me is actual ownership, and unless I save up a good chunk of change that just ain't gonna happen. Even If I did amass enough to buy shares, I'd sooner just open my own restaurant/bar.

The stats say 4/5 restaurants fail within the first year or something... but that's because 4/5 people just don't know how to operate then effectively. That 1/5, if run well, are all money factories.

iannis

Musty Nester
I would think they fail mostly due to location and logistics.

I've seen some chain restaurants in some bad locations. I've driven past a few and wondered who it was that got paid to build that building THERE. Like all alone in the middle of a little office park. The lunch crowd can't be enough to keep the doors open. Not for that amount of investment and overhead.

I mean maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's enough if you run lean.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I would think they fail mostly due to location and logistics.

I've seen some chain restaurants in some bad locations. I've driven past a few and wondered who it was that got paid to build that building THERE. Like all alone in the middle of a little office park. The lunch crowd can't be enough to keep the doors open. Not for that amount of investment and overhead.

I mean maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's enough if you run lean.
I think it's mostly bad luck when you see buildings placed in the middle of nowhere like that. For example, there is this little shopping center not far from where I grew up that was just sitting in the middle of a field, with no businesses or houses anywhere nearby. They had originally planned on building a suburban housing development on the surrounding land, so the shopping center was built with the expectation that they'd have customers around them. For whatever reason, the houses never got built (although a few streets were laid out, so I'm guess it was a money issue) and the poor saps in the shopping center were left high and dry.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Stopped by the Pantheon thread... and there is a personal financial discussion taking place. Honestly, much more exciting & interesting than what I expected.

Oh ya for sure. It is here too and I'm definitely being paid the highest in my immediate peer group. Maybe my buddy in real estate is making the same money as me, but that's probably it.

I just hate that I've reached a 'ceiling' in the town I love, and with a company I love. The only position above me is actual ownership, and unless I save up a good chunk of change that just ain't gonna happen. Even If I did amass enough to buy shares, I'd sooner just open my own restaurant/bar.

The stats say 4/5 restaurants fail within the first year or something... but that's because 4/5 people just don't know how to operate then effectively. That 1/5, if run well, are all money factories.
The birth of a Million dollar idea, open an EQ themed restaurant and hire Brad to flip the burgers, just dont let him write his LONG WINDED descriptions on the menu. I smell a franchise, thank me later.

Spynx_sl

shitlord
The birth of a Million dollar idea, open an EQ themed restaurant and hire Brad to flip the burgers, just dont let him write his LONG WINDED descriptions on the menu. I smell a franchise, thank me later.
You could choose a class when you walk in and go on quests. Eat 3 pound burger you can Xp... Which after gaining a "level" you get a free meal or something