Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

...That 800k was a 'bridge' to enable him to make an early demo to shop for a real publisher, right? I just don't get how he'd ever be able to release any sort of MMO, especially since day 1 he's been repeating backpay and hiring more 'real' workers which were red flags for everyone here...
I could be mistaken in how I remember how things went down but

1) He didn't advertise any of this 'bridge' stuff in the beginning, it was confusing and obfuscated in order to mislead donors. Also Kickstarter requires an actual, tangible product be produced.

2) He was also insistent that everybody was working "Pro bono" with absolutely zero mention of back-pay until the funds had actually started coming in. Of course, it might not have been entirely intentional; its also possible he has zero clue what the word actually means.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I wonder what the reaction from someone like Kaplan or Furor is? I mean, given the rants directed at McQuaid and the EQ team they had to have at least been keeping a finger on this game's pulse. What a shitstorm.

Zefah

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, he probably just meant that they were working for free because they couldn't be paid at the moment (due to lack of funds), but that everyone was logging their hours and fully expected back pay once the funding came in. Probably made all of the sense in the world to him, but was not what everyone else in the world thought he meant when he said "pro bono."

imijj_sl

shitlord
I could be mistaken in how I remember how things went down but

1) He didn't advertise any of this 'bridge' stuff in the beginning, it was confusing and obfuscated in order to mislead donors. Also Kickstarter requires an actual, tangible product be produced.

2) He was also insistent that everybody was working "Pro bono" with absolutely zero mention of back-pay until the funds had actually started coming in. Of course, it might not have been entirely intentional; its also possible he has zero clue what the word actually means.
When pressed on this issue he directed someone to the very bottom of the page where you have to click on a link to reveal the text. It's in the faq under the title "Doesn't it take more than 800k to make an MMO?" -

Yes it does. Our intent for this Kickstarter is first to prove that there's enough of a demand for a group focused game that believes in the experience of the game instead of handholding, and to get the ball rolling on development. If we can get to the goal we will have proved that and will have enough to get this game started and be able to get our studio set up and operational. If we only get to the goal and little more, then we will visit other funding opportunities but first and foremost we wanted to make it possible to be completely crowdfunded so that you, the players, have more to do with what goes into the game than other powers would should we need to turn to those options later.
If you're right, then this thing should have never even been allowed on kickstarter. And honestly, who knows if this notice was even there at the begining. Even if it was it's worded so vaguely that it doesn't really matter.

What we do know is that he was obviously trying to avoid spreading the word with regard to all the bullshit about the "prototype" and "angel investors" until after the money came in and the project stalled.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Some are enjoying any notoriety they can get. I'm not sure where they are coming from but since all this new media, the site has picked up and new subs and donations are coming in. Publicity is a crazy bitch.
Fast forward 5 years.

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen has just overtaken World of Warcraft in sub numbers. VRI just posted 1.2 billion in profits, and is currently looking into purchasing Valve.

When asked about the story of making Pantheon Brad looks into the camera. "I took a big risk pocketing all that money, but it turned out to be what saved Pantheon. Hundreds of thousands of people wanted to gaze upon the drama on our paid forums, so they signed up and paid their $15 for dev access. This brought in a tidal wave of money into our coffers. A few days later I "fired" *wink wink* all our volunteer developers and hired on some of the industry's most sought after MMO developers. The rest is history, baby"

rrr_img_66137.gif

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Hey Imijj, looks like Brad is at it again. He deleted all your posts on the Pantheon Facebook page.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
New Industry Norm:
From - Pay for Alpha, fund money to continue our project
To- Pay for demo, fund money to hopefully find angel investor for alpha.
Next up - Pay for nothing, fuck you.

Noshitdude

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yes it does. Our intent for this Kickstarter is first to prove that there's enough of a demand for a group focused game that believes in the experience of the game instead of handholding, and to get the ball rolling on development. If we can get to the goal we will have proved that and will have enough to get this game started and be able to get our studio set up and operational. If we only get to the goal and little more, then we will visit other funding opportunities but first and foremost we wanted to make it possible to be completely crowdfunded so that you, the players, have more to do with what goes into the game than other powers would should we need to turn to those options later.

So, why is he at it again and again ? It's a scam, and i do think it was his only goal. Hell, even now you still have people white knighting him, so why should he stop.
I do hope someone will sue him for that, walking away with 45 k usd (32.5 k euros) like that is near impossible in Europe. No jail or anything, but a civil court surely.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Seriously, where dothese peoplecome from?

Jeanna Ruschell_sl said:
It's obvious that some mistakes were made and real life problems may have gotten in the way. Fortunately, as human beings we learn from our past experiences, and if we're lucky enough we are able to move forward from them. There will always be those who feel hurt in the process and it's sad that some agreement couldn't be made to keep the team together, but the show must go on. It doesn't mean one way is better than the other, but what Brad is trying to accomplish is to create a game that people DO want to play as evidenced by the number of new people joining the site. Will it happen overnight? No. Is there a chance it won't happen at all? Possibly. But if we don't try, we will never know. Those that want to be a part of the process are welcome to join us. I for one would appreciate the name calling and flaming stop, but I guess that's too much to ask. We'll deal with it as it comes, but for those that are consistently bashing and trashing at least don't hide behind fake names. It's cowardly, imo.