Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I want EQ 1999 again as much of the next person but I honestly think it wouldn't last more than a few months before I got my feel of nostalgia. I would probably pop in and out to see and hear moments that were dear to me but it is time for new blood and fresh meat to bring this genre something that makes us look forward to logging on the next day and make it challenging to even log off.
This is exactly where I'm at. I loved EQ but just like the mass of WoW clones, it wouldn't be a long term solution. Something new is exactly what this genre needs.

Fedor

<Banned>
some faggot_sl said:
Brad *will* get his chance to design an MMO again (probably Pantheon) and it *will* be with SoE. SoE simply doesnt have the resources atm.
hqdefault.jpg

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I don't know, he seems like a compulsive liar and has a track record of not caring he deep it goes. I was naive and got hyped for Pantheon despite this. Maybe he wasn't initially being evil, but he certainly wasn't above it spinning out of control and getting evil ... again.

I feel like I've got the FoH/Rerolled Badge of Dishonor I wasn't around for during Vanguard. When Brad tries this again in 10 years I can be on the other side of the fence.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Several people commented that the derail my post caused was "terrible", or whatever. I just wanted to clarify that the reason I mentioned that XP thing was that it was indicative of how SOE treated the players, and that was primarily because of Brad's vision. Or at least, that was the line given by the company. Specific mechanics aside, Brad's vision was almost entirely diametrically opposed to the actual gameplay that emerged from EQ's mechanics, in nearly every respect. He didn't even understand his own game.

And people think that a new game designed by him is going to be a throwback to how EQ eventually turned out? Come the fuck on. And that's not even getting in to the derision and contempt that the developers of EQ, led by McQuaid, felt towards the players, which was the main point I was touching on. It was a HUGE DEAL to give players some more granular feedback on experience progress, because in the days of 640x480 and counting pixels, no one had a fucking clue what was truly going on with XP in later levels. Shit, it took them forever to even acknowledge "hell levels" in vanilla/Kunark EQ.

As far as etchazz's stupid posts go, no, I didn't hate EQ. I had a lot of fun playing it for a few years. But a lot of that fun was entirely in spite of McQuaid and other's efforts and vision for the game. Expecting him to repeat it, especially in light of the failure that VG turned out to be, is asinine.
no one was saying whether or not brad will be able to repeat what was accomplished with EQ. the point you and the other idiots continue to try and make over and over is that EQ wasn't a good game, didn't have good mechanics, and was not worth playing and that people only played it or tolerated it because there was nothing else to play; which you could argue if you didn't play the game for several years. but if you played EQ for several years (hell, even for several months) you have no leg to stand on to call the game bad. if you played a game that you didn't like for years on end you're either:
A. a fucking idiot
B. a fucking idiot
or
C. a fucking idiot

ismaris

Silver Knight of the Realm
^^ I completely agree with you. Just give credit to McQuaid where he deserves it. Which we can send to him on a Plaque from rerolled: "Thanks for turning a DikuMUD into a graphical experience, and letting the players make the game play mechanics from you not having a fucking clue as to how to design a game. Now, go away and never touch this industry again. You are a scam artist. Kindly take some of your friends with you"
This is pretty much pure fucking gold.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
everquest was a great game, it just wasnt a perfect game or even close to perfect. but the community aspect was great. some of the bugs were just terrible, what got me angry was when the devs tried to fix shit that people had made workarounds for because it benefitted them while leaving the detrimental shit in and calling it "a feature"

JarekStorm_sl

shitlord
So I was just checking for crazy posts from the Bradites, and noticed they've changed all the craziest's forum names to green, to signify them as official VR developers.

They are pretending they have developers to give the illusion of an actual game being made, and to fluff up the ego of the collective fanatics I suppose.

Of course they are not employees, and are even paying Brad so that they can pretend they are. Seems really cheesy and shady to me.

kudos

<Banned>
So I was just checking for crazy posts from the Bradites, and noticed they've changed all the craziest's forum names to green, to signify them as official VR developers.

They are pretending they have developers to give the illusion of an actual game being made, and to fluff up the ego of the collective fanatics I suppose.

Of course they are not employees, and are even paying Brad so that they can pretend they are. Seems really cheesy and shady to me.
Pretty sure they gave them that because they are just trying to keep what little brainwashed morons they have left happy.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I'm wondering if any of them asked Brad how the current funds are being allocated.. I bet not... They are essentially helping him steal money. At this point, they are just as guilty.

imijj_sl

shitlord
/\/\ Very True.

It's completely relevant when you are discussing a new game designed by a guy that had tremendous luck in which everything was based on emergent gameplay, not the design itself, expecting to think the original designer did anything but make a basic Diku Mud MMORPG while none of the fun mechanics we all found weren't anything but accidents, which this guy takes credit for.

If you want to give 80% of the credit for why EQ was fun, you're looking at them. They post on this forum. And some developed the mechanics from broken design which made it fun. Which is why you won't ever see anything like it again. Because a majority of it was a by-product found by the players of the game itself and finding holes in design. It can go all the way to Feign Death Pulling, AOE Pulls, Trains, KS'ing, Multiquesting, and warping certain mobs to pull spots to name a few but there are s shit ton more.

And as you can tell, our hero Brad McQuaid did nothing with Vanguard and Sigil, and after supposedly learning his lesson after being the laughing stock of the industry, now is taking investment funds for his own personal use. About the only vision he has right now is how to con people.
The people I was responding to are saying EQ sucked. Not just that Brad sucked. I agree that Brad is a moron who probably had nothing to do with EQ's success.

Frenzic

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm wondering if any of them asked Brad how the current funds are being allocated.. I bet not... They are essentially helping him steal money. At this point, they are just as guilty.
If you have a question, come ask it. You had the opportunity and declined. It's easy to point the finger at someone else. I get all the answers I want. All I have to do is ask.

As for the green names, I'm not crazy or a brad fanatic~

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you have a question, come ask it. You had the opportunity and declined. It's easy to point the finger at someone else. I get all the answers I want. All I have to do is ask.

As for the green names, I'm not crazy or a brad fanatic~
What's the point? Brad just going to open his lie hole..

How much money has the site made since all this and where is it going?

Jait

Molten Core Raider
I feel it's worth mentioning that Aaron Conners and Chris Jones just made a new Tex Murphy game with Kickstarter. They raised over 600k, and took less than 2 years to make it. It's just as good as any of the originals so far, and has over 5 hours of 1080 FMV.

Neither one of them took a salary...

It's what separates people with true passion for gaming and total fucking scumbags like Brad.