Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Ceder_sl

shitlord
Wouldn't mind if it was just a couple of placeholder character models for scale or working out combat mechanics etc, but complete environments? What's the point of posting screens like these with temporary assets when the final game will (supposedly) look nothing like that, and what kind of reaction do they expect other than "Oh yeah, those folks over at Manufactura 4K sure have some talented 3d artists."
I guess i'm just ignorant of how things work in this industry.

(i bet the soon to be revealed class will be the Beast Lo... Master.)
Their point is to try to counter the criticism against them and show "progress" for the purpose of trying to get people to give Brad money. Period. Its lego marketing.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Any person who sees that most like saw it on a message board and others would have also mentioned that its all a sham. Not sure who brad thinks he is fooling at this point

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I havent been knocking the unity bought stuff, personally, it doesn't bother me. I see why the jabs are coming tho. Brad has turned this into such an amateur project. This is essentially Pantheon in Unity and they may as well come out and say it. At least we would all be on the same page. It's the buying assets then presenting them as something creative and unique that will get them hammered every time.

I'm still dubious about their ability to handle all the back end shit.

delirium_sl

shitlord
I agree with Covo in that it doesnt bother me about using Unity assets to build the game. It sucks because someone else could also build a game using those same assets and well there goes any uniqueness. But if at the end of the day we were to end up with the game we have been looking for then oh well. If nothing else I hope that they can create their own Character Models at some point and maybe tweak the store bought assets to personalize them. I also agree with Convo that they should be more transparent about the fact that they plan on building this game soley with Unity assets. I know its been mentioned a few times but they don't really have it posted like in a FAQ anywhere.

If you think about it, its really no different than say a keyboardist in a band using the factory patches in his syth to play songs. It just means that someone else who has that same syth could also achieve the same sounds. But most synth players will take a factory patch and tweak it to add their own personal touch to it.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I don't think you ever have to worry about playing another game that will have the same assets as Pantheon.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
If I thought they could make a non-terrible game composed entirely of assets from unity and were up front with the idea that they will have a minimalistic art budget, I'd be fine with them using unity assets.

As it is now, they're just pretending like they're even capable of generating original art.

I also think it'd be great if artists shared art assets as much as programmers share code. Obviously it's apples and oranges in that you don't mind if an engine is reusing Quake'ssquare root algorithmit's another thing to be exploring someone's fallout mod and see Master Chief's helmet on a zombie.

But for some 90% of art assets in a game it's a shame they aren't re-used. I mean, just look at all the world-class vegetation and terrain in Crysis 1-3. Those photorealistic objects are forever locked in a single game and are lost in time.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
iim surprised nobody has released an all unity assets game by now. their stuff looks really good. if brad was an honest person and not thinking about trying to land a pigeon to fund his lifestyle, he could be that person. he could stamp all the pantheon screencaps with a "made with Unity" logo underneath and talk about how great the engine is for game crafting, i bet everyone would be right on board maybe even Unity would let brad have some assets free for all the business he has brought them.

as it is, he stole all the cash from his own company to pay for his lifestyle and sunk his project and now he has to sink even lower to scam rich gullible people into thinking what he has was actually created with his own competent design team instead of a bunch of christers and noobs because they will work for free.

Frenzic

Lord Nagafen Raider
This project has nothing over any other amateur project. All Brad does is find people willing to work on it for free. Any bunch of idiots could get together, learn basic Unity and buy the assets. Woo look at us, we're making an MMO! God I hope I didn't give anyone any ideas...

symbelmyne_sl

shitlord
This project has nothing over any other amateur project. All Brad does is find people willing to work on it for free. Any bunch of idiots could get together, learn basic Unity and buy the assets. Woo look at us, we're making an MMO! God I hope I didn't give anyone any ideas...
didnt they try to make a game on the old FOH board?

symbelmyne_sl

shitlord
I havent been knocking the unity bought stuff, personally, it doesn't bother me. I see why the jabs are coming tho. Brad has turned this into such an amateur project. This is essentially Pantheon in Unity and they may as well come out and say it. At least we would all be on the same page. It's the buying assets then presenting them as something creative and unique that will get them hammered every time.

I'm still dubious about their ability to handle all the back end shit.
you forgot the primary motive for some of their crew; learn skills to push along their Christian MMO. i think they are getting a pretty good crash course.

iannis

Musty Nester
didnt they try to make a game on the old FOH board?
We had a subforum dedicated to it. We still might. Modding and RPG creation is a time intensive hobby. And frankly, it's fucking tedious when you get right down to it. Only two things can really motivate it. It either takes passion or a big fat paycheck. And it takes a special sort of autistic faith to spend hundreds of hours on a project knowing that it might be -- it is entirely possible -- that when you come up for air and take an objective look at your work... it may be disappointing. It's just no where near as easy as it looks. It shares a lot of qualities with other creative artforms, solitary or communal. Of course you miss 100% of the shots that you don't take.

And that's how you knew that when Brad was listing the bulk of his team as "lore" devs and they had one coder and one artist that yeeeeeep. Completely full of fucking shit. Brad does know better than that. His donors didn't.

The people running it now also know better than that. But they've made their bargain I suppose.

BubbySoup

Golden Knight of the Realm
We had a subforum dedicated to it. We still might. Modding and RPG creation is a time intensive hobby. And frankly, it's fucking tedious when you get right down to it.
True this. I have a friend of a friend who has created some pretty big mods for Skyrim. The guy just locks himself away doing this. I couldn't even tell you if he actually plays Skyrim that much, just loves to mod it.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I bet. I found I actually tinkered and tested and tried out mods more than I actually just played the game, and that was as a player, not a modder. Imagine MAKING your own mmo where you aren't just buying unity assets, or even if you are, and then trusting a bunch of people who aren't your religious-cult family to stick with it long term.