Pappy

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
all this is way over my depth. I guess I’m just looking for a bottle that says ‘ I wanted to get you something really special ‘ without saying ‘I’m a patsy that doesn’t know shit about whiskey’
Go for that Blanton's. Great gift bottle.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I didn't address your second question, sorry: a light scotch is going to be sweeter and milder than a typical bourbon and should have more fruit, caramel, and cookie notes to it. Now, its a little hard to describe things like this because everyone's nose and taste buds are different.

But, I'll try to give an example: Maker's 46 is a good mid-tier bourbon. It's easy to find, its quality, and it tastes good. Compare that with a light scotch like Glenmorangie 10 year old. The Glen is a good, mid-tier Scotch. It's quality and its easy to find in America and its affordable. The Glenmorangie will taste sweeter and won't "burn" or be as "sharp" or "spicy" as the Maker's 46, which itself is already a somewhat mild Bourbon.

If you'd really like to get into whisky as a hobby, I'd suggest some research: https://www.youtube.com/user/ralfystuff

Also, perhaps make a budget for yourself each month. $40-$50 each month or every other month. Pick up a new bottle and explore. Don't go overboard and don't get too much to start. Only YOU will know what YOU like, but it will take time to explore. Don't fall into hype and marketing if you can help it. The only exception to this - for me - is Lagavulin 16. It genuinely is a fantastic Scotch and I love it (but I also enjoy smoke/peat the same as I love rye bourbons).

Thank you for this. I went out and bought a Glenmorangie 10, it came as part of a gift set that had the normal bottle of that, and then the two tiny bottles of the sherry and PX finished whiskeys.

I figured for my first try, I fixed a rocks glass with some crushed ice and poured two fingers in. I'm not a taster with a refined palette. Pleasant nose, citrus flavor, some sweet and caramel, and a very smooth finish. Just like you said, you never get the alcohol burn. So it's a very pleasant sipper. It's easier to sip on than bourbon for sure. To be honest, I picked up the $200 bottle of Hennesy XO recently and this is probably a smoother finish than that.

I liked that you compared it to Makers 46. I'm a big Makers fan boy, my go to is regular Makers or Wild Turkey 101. Makers 46 is very good and my bourbon of choice for an old fashioned. Makers Cask Strength is fantastic and every bit as good as any other bourbon under $75-100.

So, thank you for a great suggestion for a first scotch!

Handle of Smooth Bourbon or grab a bottle of 1783. Shit grab a bottle of both, they really are great for their price. My suggestion is just go ahead and pick up a 10 year black label and a 1783. To be honest I've never had the single barrel. At least I've never bought it.

I picked up a bottle of the black label, I think it was about $11. I mixed it with diet coke for my first try. It's totally fine. It's not amazing, but it's absolutely fine and totally fine as a mixer. I can't describe the taste but there's something there that reminds me of jack daniels, but this is way better than JD. I honestly hate JD. But I like this. I'll probably buy this again as a mixer, although I usually use MM or WT101.

I'll be crucified for how lame this is that I'm about to say, but this would be a fantastic bourbon to load up on to have to barter in an "end of the world" scenario! :)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
all this is way over my depth. I guess I’m just looking for a bottle that says ‘ I wanted to get you something really special ‘ without saying ‘I’m a patsy that doesn’t know shit about whiskey’
Gift bourbon is really difficult right now as even dog shit is allocated. What does your friend normally drink?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thank you for this. I went out and bought a Glenmorangie 10, it came as part of a gift set that had the normal bottle of that, and then the two tiny bottles of the sherry and PX finished whiskeys.

I figured for my first try, I fixed a rocks glass with some crushed ice and poured two fingers in. I'm not a taster with a refined palette. Pleasant nose, citrus flavor, some sweet and caramel, and a very smooth finish. Just like you said, you never get the alcohol burn. So it's a very pleasant sipper. It's easier to sip on than bourbon for sure. To be honest, I picked up the $200 bottle of Hennesy XO recently and this is probably a smoother finish than that.

I liked that you compared it to Makers 46. I'm a big Makers fan boy, my go to is regular Makers or Wild Turkey 101. Makers 46 is very good and my bourbon of choice for an old fashioned. Makers Cask Strength is fantastic and every bit as good as any other bourbon under $75-100.

So, thank you for a great suggestion for a first scotch!

I picked up a bottle of the black label, I think it was about $11. I mixed it with diet coke for my first try. It's totally fine. It's not amazing, but it's absolutely fine and totally fine as a mixer. I can't describe the taste but there's something there that reminds me of jack daniels, but this is way better than JD. I honestly hate JD. But I like this. I'll probably buy this again as a mixer, although I usually use MM or WT101.

I'll be crucified for how lame this is that I'm about to say, but this would be a fantastic bourbon to load up on to have to barter in an "end of the world" scenario! :)

Really glad to hear you liked it. There's a whole world of great whisky out there, whether American, Scotch, or Irish (or hell, even Japanese these days). Its fun to try and share with friends/family.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Get him a nice bottle of bourbon.

And then get him a bottle of Elijah Craig Small Batch. That one is cheap and punches way above its weight class on quality imo.

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
Uhhh...You do know that not all regions of Scotch has peat or smoke in it, right? There are hundreds of Scotchs that are quite mild and light. That's like saying all burgers are crap because the ones from McDonald's suck. There are some absolutely amazing Scotchs out there, but America gets only a fraction.

I'm a little worried you think Evan Williams is top-tier and water/ice/seltzer is OK to put into a good whisky (whether Bourbon, Scotch, or Irish). Evan Williams is for putting into coke when someone doesn't give a shit.

But hey, everyone has different tastes. That's why there is so much out there.
I do realize that, I can stomach glenfiddich and some others. It's like this for me, I will not buy a budwieser or coors from the store, now you offer me one for free, I'm going to drink it.

Just like Scotch, I won't buy it, but I will take a free drink, except Johnny walker double black, just honestly taste like I grabbed some Spanish moss off an oak tree & started eating it.

Yes I know they don't use Spanish moss for Scotch. My uncle said it is an acquired taste, well he doesn't have to worry about me drinking his J&B.

The Scotch aficionados, pick up a bottle of double black & let me know what you think. Glad the Evan Williams worked out, cheap price, Kentucky bourbon, and taste good. Kra!

• 2Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
This is the worst thread title. Amod Amod request name change to One Bourbon, One Scotch & One Beer

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I honestly feel like no one really "likes" heavily peated scotch, they just want to be hipsters about it. My buddy was all into Laphroig and he finally got me to try it and it tasted like someone dumped a full ashtray into a sock and soaked it into a bottle of the shittiest whiskey they could find for several years.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
I honestly feel like no one really "likes" heavily peated scotch, they just want to be hipsters about it. My buddy was all into Laphroig and he finally got me to try it and it tasted like someone dumped a full ashtray into a sock and soaked it into a bottle of the shittiest whiskey they could find for several years.
HAHA, that is hilarious, yeah my roommate is currently on a Johnny Walker Red label or just Black Label gay obsession right now. He will drink the Red label with coke or sometimes on the rocks, but the red label is strictly a mixing scotch to me if I touched the shit. He is a pussy and won't go spend his money on the Double Black, because he knows I am telling the truth and that it makes you want to vomit, even just shooting it straight with a chaser immediately after the shot, but you still cannot cover the peat moss taste.

• 1Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I tried some version of Johnny walker years and years ago before I knew anything about alcohol at all. It was so horrid that I assumed all whiskey etc tasted the same. It’s so bad. I’m sure it was whatever peated shit you’re talking about

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
If I was in your shoes I'd probably watch a couple best of bourbon videos and buy off the list. Off the top of my head there is ADHD whiskey and the Bourbon junkies to name two. I'm into bourbon and there is a metric fuckton of stuff I'd love to get that I won't buy myself. For instance..

Ok I'm planning on getting that this weekend but the point still stands. There is a lot of whiskey that someone into it will be thrilled to get.

• 2Like

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Laphroig cask strength is god damn delicious

• 1Supertaster

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Weller 12 is my go to "nice" whiskey. It's got a bit of a price premium but not bad and it's the same mash bill as Pappy according to the interwebs.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
So a golfing buddy of mine has a fairly large whiskey collection and I was over his house for a tasting last night for the first time. I really enjoy whiskey but am not any kind of aficionado so I was just letting him pour me stuff.

First he had an unopened bottle of Elijah Craig 12 that he opened for me. Then some Blanton's. Then he poured some Colonel Taylor Barrel Proof... then a Yamazaki 18.

Then he decided I wasn't drunk enough and brought out of a bottle Don Julio Real. That was unlike any other tequila I've ever had and I don't ever want to drink cheap tequila ever again.

• 2Like

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
That Yamazaki 18 is so damn good... Used to go whiskey hunting in Tokyo, found some good picks.

Kinner

Clear eyes. Full Hearts. Can't lose.
Weller 12 is just Pappys but not quite good enough to get there. Blantons is good as well. I want to try some Garrison Brothers Cowboy.

I have tried the 20 year but according to Julian Van Winkle, he prefers the 15 year. I have a friend who lives in KY and knows the Van Winkle family.

If he likes Irish, get him a bottle of Midleton Very Rare, its pretty good too.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Weller 12 is just Pappys but not quite good enough to get there. Blantons is good as well. I want to try some Garrison Brothers Cowboy.

I have tried the 20 year but according to Julian Van Winkle, he prefers the 15 year. I have a friend who lives in KY and knows the Van Winkle family.

If he likes Irish, get him a bottle of Midleton Very Rare, its pretty good too.

I’ve never been into the wheated bourbons (Weller) until like 2 weeks ago.

I’ve had Weller Antique 107, Special Reserve, and Full Proof in my bar for a year now and was just never into them. The boom, suddenly I liked them. It could be the diversity of bourbon I’ve been drinking lately.

Humble brag, my wife and I were in Louisville over New Years (I have a customer in the cooperage industry) and we got a 10 year Rip at an Irish pub then went across the street and got a flight of a 13 year rye, 15 year, and 20 year Pappy Van Winkle. Shit was fire. Totally impressed.

My fav bourbons in my bar right now are Michter’s Toasted Barrel, Baker’s 13, Weller Full Proof, and Cooper’s. Other notables are Blanton’s Gold, Little Book, New Riff Single Barrel, and EH Taylor Single Barrel.

The most disappointed I’ve been to date is the Elijah Craig 18 year I got in a raffle.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
It's wild there are fire different types of Scotch, 90% Blended I believe?

Going to have to try this adventure one day!

Drink Moss Trail, Waste of money trail.jpg

• 1Like