Pappy

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Just got back from Kentucky.

B07A5DAC-3120-4989-8B43-2671C9863286.jpeg

[edit] I'm missing two more Maker's Mark bottles in this pic, ha.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 6 users

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
Just picked this up and I'm liking it more than I expected. It's a proofy bugger and is bet it isn't for everyone but it tickles my taste buds.

IMG_20210523_200007.jpg

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
What is light whiskey? Is that a thing or just part of this brand?

The Rabbit Hole Dareringer (third from left in the picture above) is finished in port barrels and is one of the best bourbons I’ve tried here lately.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
From what I understand a brewery buys an overaged true light whiskey, basically something not super complex and puts it in a different barrel to add complexity and ages it some more. It's a crap shoot.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Figured there had to be a bourbon thread somewhere, not everything pictured here but some. My collection has gotten smaller over time thanks to just evoking some discipline and not buying bourbon just to buy it due to its rarity. The one bottle I'd love to have that I can never find, not to mention I think it's the best I've ever had (far better than all the Pappy's), is the Midwinter Night's Dram.

I read some of the budget bourbon talk. Nothing beats that Evan William's Bottle in Bond. It's dirt cheap and just really solid. That OGD 114 is great for $20. I'm a sucker for Blanton's still. I think it's a great bourbon, but I'd never pay more than retail for it.

20210529_180855.jpg

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I really like the 1792 you have and think it's a pretty good value. I'm torn on the McKenna. Angel Envy seems like a requirement in most people's collection. I haven't tried the Blanton's or the pure white. My newest is a Bib and Tucker small batch. It's an oily sucker but went great with walleye fishing today.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I really like the 1792 you have and think it's a pretty good value. I'm torn on the McKenna. Angel Envy seems like a requirement in most people's collection. I haven't tried the Blanton's or the pure white. My newest is a Bib and Tucker small batch. It's an oily sucker but went great with walleye fishing today.

Yeah, that 1972 is a Single Barrel store pick from a place in Austin, last time I was there he was passing out Pappy to celebrate his 25 yr anniversary of his store. Just passing out shots lol.

The earlier McKenna's I had were very good... But after the first batch I had, they have not been great. Very "ok" if anything.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
How is the Coopers Craft? I've been seeing a lot of commercials for it lately.

It's SOLID. It's a $60 bourbon you can buy for $35. It's only available in Kentucky, so it's hard to find, but I imagine once they do get a lot of distribution this will be another that gets allocated pretty quickly.

I think it's better than New Riff.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Figured there had to be a bourbon thread somewhere, not everything pictured here but some. My collection has gotten smaller over time thanks to just evoking some discipline and not buying bourbon just to buy it due to its rarity. The one bottle I'd love to have that I can never find, not to mention I think it's the best I've ever had (far better than all the Pappy's), is the Midwinter Night's Dram.

I read some of the budget bourbon talk. Nothing beats that Evan William's Bottle in Bond. It's dirt cheap and just really solid. That OGD 114 is great for $20. I'm a sucker for Blanton's still. I think it's a great bourbon, but I'd never pay more than retail for it.

View attachment 355905

How do you like your Blanton's Gold Edition? We have one and my wife loves it. It's super hard to find.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I rarely find myself in this part of the forum, so just discovered this thread and adding in some random replies.

So a golfing buddy of mine has a fairly large whiskey collection and I was over his house for a tasting last night for the first time. I really enjoy whiskey but am not any kind of aficionado so I was just letting him pour me stuff.

First he had an unopened bottle of Elijah Craig 12 that he opened for me. Then some Blanton's. Then he poured some Colonel Taylor Barrel Proof... then a Yamazaki 18.

Then he decided I wasn't drunk enough and brought out of a bottle Don Julio Real. That was unlike any other tequila I've ever had and I don't ever want to drink cheap tequila ever again.

I have never really liked Tequila, and I've gotten to try a fair amount of Tequila in the $50-60 and cheaper ranges. That said, I got to try the 1800 Milenio a while back, and holy shit that stuff is good. It is their answer to Don Julio 1942. I've had a few others in the multi hundred dollar range. The Michael Jordan one I wasn't impressed with (Cincoro I think?) but there was one that I can't remember the name of, in the $300 range, that was also amazing.

Ya bro, it's kinda crazy how "available it is here" (at a few liquor stores). Walked in a few weeks ago and snagged not 1 but 2 bottles of the A121. Really great! I think I prefer the C920 I snagged last fall (managed two bottles of that too), but it's a great proof. I try to buy 2 bottles. One for immediate enjoyment and the other to save. I've got a little barrel proof treasure trove in my office.

Whenever I'm down in Fort Worth or Austin, it's impossible to find (a long with any other good whiskey I feel like).

I've started to get more Elijah Craig Barrel Proof in my store, and it definitely doesn't sell as fast as it should. People are too stuck on the Buffalo Trace line up, and not educated enough about what actual good stuff is available out there.

Anyone ever tried Mellow Corn? Its supposedly some bottom shelf stuff thats really good. I've looked in three states, never seen it anywhere.

I've gotten asked for this a few times. I saw someone in the thread tried it, I'd be curious for more opinions

Just got back from Kentucky.

View attachment 352674

[edit] I'm missing two more Maker's Mark bottles in this pic, ha.

Rabbit Hole while a little expensive is something I wish people would discover. The line up is sooooo good, but people just don't know about it.

It's SOLID. It's a $60 bourbon you can buy for $35. It's only available in Kentucky, so it's hard to find, but I imagine once they do get a lot of distribution this will be another that gets allocated pretty quickly.

I think it's better than New Riff.
Cooper's Craft is available in Florida. The 100 proof is some good shit

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I just talked to my buddy who owns a liquor store last weekend. He gets 3 bottles of ECBP with every release. It's ..not in the good part of town so they stay on the shelf for a bit. I told him straight up set aside a bottle of every release for me, I'll prepay if need be. It's consistently a value even if you are getting it for 70. I'm thinking of buying 2 of his 3 and just giving the the extras for gifts.

• 2Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I walked in and bought 2 B521's yesterday and sipped on some last night. Lower proof, smooth and terrific to me. Not as complex as some of the others, but a great bourbon for $70 to introduce others into the line of what is to me, the best $100 bottle of booze you can buy. I love how each batch retains some of the character of the others but offers something unique each time. Prettttty pretttttty prettttttttty good.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
As I understand it there are 3 releases each year, a spring release (A), a Summer (B), and a fall (C). The last two numbers are the year. In most previous years the B release was the least great one with the C being consistently great. This year the B is very good which is making people lick their chops for the C.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
What you're paying for with high end liquor, wine, food, etc. mostly is the feeling of being better than other people. Even things like cars are like this to some extent. This becomes apparent every time a so-called expert is stupid enough to submit to a blind taste test and fails miserably at picking the fancy schmancy stuff from just regular booze. Obviously there's a shit tier of everything that truly is crap, but how you feel about the high end stuff has a lot more to do with what you paid for it and how it makes you see yourself than what it actually tastes like. Not to say that you can't enjoy that, but don't get too far up your own ass trying to declare something is "over oaked" or arguing about if the notes are raspberry or tobacco or sawdust or whatever. Those people are full of shit.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
What you're paying for with high end liquor, wine, food, etc. mostly is the feeling of being better than other people. Even things like cars are like this to some extent. This becomes apparent every time a so-called expert is stupid enough to submit to a blind taste test and fails miserably at picking the fancy schmancy stuff from just regular booze. Obviously there's a shit tier of everything that truly is crap, but how you feel about the high end stuff has a lot more to do with what you paid for it and how it makes you see yourself than what it actually tastes like. Not to say that you can't enjoy that, but don't get too far up your own ass trying to declare something is "over oaked" or arguing about if the notes are raspberry or tobacco or sawdust or whatever. Those people are full of shit.
The two biggest offenders in the liquor arena are Whiskey and Wine. With one exception which I have had I'm extremely unlikely to pay more than $75 for any Bourbon.

As far as food. I happen to work with a guy that has hit a bunch of the Michelin 2 and 3 star restaurants. Even though he consistently tells me how bad the experience was (Like at Sukiyabashi Jiroand for example) how little of the food was good he still tries to hit more of them. There has been one notable one (Faviken) that he found everything in from of him terrible.

Khane

Got something right about marriage

Id say for the most part this is true. I can definitely tell the difference between a $12 and $50 bottle of wine (most of the time) but I can't really spot the difference between a $50 and $300 bottle. Same with Whiskey. Low to to Medium-High end range there are noticeable differences. Anything above and beyond that and I really don't know.

That $350 bottle of Don Julio Real though... I don't even know how its possible that Tequila can taste THAT different. That stuff is almost a completely different liquor.

• 2Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Id say for the most part this is true. I can definitely tell the difference between a $12 and $50 bottle of wine (most of the time) but I can't really spot the difference between a $50 and $300 bottle. Same with Whiskey. Low to to Medium-High end range there are noticeable differences. Anything above and beyond that and I really don't know.

That $350 bottle of Don Julio Real though... I don't even know how its possible that Tequila can taste THAT different. That stuff is almost a completely different liquor.
I think it's just that Tequila is expensive, so the scale is different. So stuff like Patron and Don Julio isn't really the mid high end, it's more like the mid bottom, since there is just a ton of Tequila in that price range.