Parent Thread

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Yes there are other combinations of therapy and whatever else. But where there is a pill? There is a panic attack to cause parents to "Medicate" their kids and bring in some of that needed revenue to the pharmecuticals. Either way, after watching some of those "Signs and Symptoms" 100% of American kids go through one or the other. Give me a break. I am not saying Autism doesn't exist. I am saying it is not 1 in 12 kids. BUt hey, that sure sells a lot of therapy and anti psychotics.
As someone who is likely on the spectrum (as a child, I exhibited much of the same behaviour that my daughter does), and the parent of an autistic child, I have done a great deal of research. I agree with you on one thing only: Many children go through some of these signs and symptoms, and not all of them are autistic. Correlation is not causation.

I'm not thrilled that my child is on the spectrum. I'm also not medicating her for it, because that isn't the answer. Education is key, for the parents as well as for the child, because the predominant effect of autism (at least, at the high-functioning end of the spectrum) is a lack of motivation to behave a certain way. We've managed to teach our daughter to be motivated by various things that she just wasn't aware existed. She's much better off now.

Could it be 1 in 12 kids? Absolutely, because we know a lot more about autism than we did when (for example) I was a child, displaying many of these traits that my daughter displays now, and there was no diagnosis, treatment, or even a thought in anyone's mind that something might be wrong with me. By the same token, parents overreact at the slightest sign of non-conformity, and there is no way that every 1 or 2 year old will behave the same way. There are important, telltale signs of autistic behaviour in children. Your kid doesn't point at anything by age 2? Probably not a good thing. Your kid doesn't look anyone in the eyes, at all, by age 2? Very much a sign of a lack of social behaviour. Your kid doesn't mimic you (and I'm not talking speech, I'm talking any actions at all)? Again, it's social behaviour that most children pick up reasonably early, because as a parent, you are generally their first guideline in the world and the first example of social interaction that they will try to emulate.

Look, I get what you're saying, but throwing a drug name at me is irrelevant. There are people out there who take antibiotics for the common cold. It's frankly irrelevant that doctors are attempting to push meds to counter autism as though it can be "cured". There is no cure. It's just the way some people are wired, and education is key to understanding that and coping, for everyone involved. That won't stop crooked people (and ignorant consumers) from looking for and/or pushing a "wonder drug". That also doesn't correlate to the rising number of kids being diagnosed with autism.

Amycus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Every time you have to do something mine that, just think to yourself about what the parents of kids who have to do daily shots or other worse things to their kid for the benefit of the child and it helps. It could always be worse.
That's very true. We've been lucky with our kids. I'm quite thankful of that.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Could it be 1 in 12 kids? Absolutely, becausewe know a lot more about autism than we did when (for example) I was a child, displaying many of these traits that my daughter displays now, and there was no diagnosis, treatment, or even a thought in anyone's mind that something might be wrong with me. By the same token, parents overreact at the slightest sign of non-conformity, and there is no way that every 1 or 2 year old will behave the same way. There are important, telltale signs of autistic behaviour in children. Your kid doesn't point at anything by age 2? Probably not a good thing. Your kid doesn't look anyone in the eyes, at all, by age 2? Very much a sign of a lack of social behaviour. Your kid doesn't mimic you (and I'm not talking speech, I'm talking any actions at all)? Again, it's social behaviour that most children pick up reasonably early, because as a parent, you are generally their first guideline in the world and the first example of social interaction that they will try to emulate.
To touch on the bolded part, this is why fear mongering over the autism "epidemic" piss me off. Over the past few decades many advances have been made in regards to determining whether or not someone is autistic. Our ability to spot it is miles ahead of where it was when I was a kid. Back then you really only got diagnosed with it if you ended up on what I call "60-Minutes Special" autistic. Or if you were Rainman. So yeah, we're going to find more people on the spectrum as a result. If these advances had been available way back when, then I figure there's a good chance we'd have been sitting at a pretty consistent "ratio" long enough to dispel any idea of an "epidemic".

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Exactly. A better understanding of the disorder, enabling us to spot it well in advance, does not an epidemic make.

The other important takeaway here, in my opinion, is that too many people leave the "spectrum disorder" part out of ASD. It's a spectrum. That means that there are plenty of cases where the behaviours are almost nonexistent. That doesn't mean those people aren't on the spectrum: They're just high-functioning. If we're diagnosing more and more children with high-functioning ASD, that doesn't immediately translate to "OMG THERE'S AUTISM IN THE WATER".

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Exactly. A better understanding of the disorder, enabling us to spot it well in advance, does not an epidemic make.

The other important takeaway here, in my opinion, is that too many people leave the "spectrum disorder" part out of ASD. It's a spectrum. That means that there are plenty of cases where the behaviours are almost nonexistent. That doesn't mean those people aren't on the spectrum: They're just high-functioning. If we're diagnosing more and more children with high-functioning ASD, that doesn't immediately translate to "OMG THERE'S AUTISM IN THE WATER".
Whoa it's not in the water, it's in the vaccines.

I'm on the fence in regards to the over diagnoses of autism. There are some shitty doctors out there.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Yeah, there are a lot of shitty doctors out there. I don't think that the sampling of those misdiagnosing autism is any greater than those who would mislead parents in any other way they could, though. Some doctors are truly shitty human beings, though, for sure.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Had the first birthday bash yesterday. Today's his birthday so yay to him.

Kid is spoiled, being the only grandchild to both my parents and my wife's parents. We have a mound of toys from Christmas still and it just doubled.

Dude got to try cake for the first time in his life and he went to fuckin town. Ate a bigger piece than most adults.

He's been clapping a lot and it's great. One problem arose yesterday. If anyone asks him to clap and goes "yayyyy" hell be excited and clapping like a maniac. Everytime I say it his face immediately turns into a huge frown, tears start pouring out and he cries and whines. No idea what I did wrong but I experimented and 6/6 for tears over 2 days.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Went to a friends easter egg hunt today that she's been trying to put on for weeks but it kept raining. One of the parents brought their kid who just had their measles shot and had a fucking rash on 3/4 of his body head to toe. I'm not worried about our little guy but there was an infant there that was clearly too young to even get the vaccine and was just getting over a nasty cold from what I heard after the fact. How the fuck can you be so goddamn irresponsible as a parent?! If my kid has a rash like that I am not taking him out in public anywhere. Needless to say the hostess was PISSSSED.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
He's been clapping a lot and it's great. One problem arose yesterday. If anyone asks him to clap and goes "yayyyy" hell be excited and clapping like a maniac. Everytime I say it his face immediately turns into a huge frown, tears start pouring out and he cries and whines. No idea what I did wrong but I experimented and 6/6 for tears over 2 days.
if you want to continue to do psychological experiments on your child, you should try doing this again but with some sort of mask on.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Went to a friends easter egg hunt today that she's been trying to put on for weeks but it kept raining. One of the parents brought their kid who just had their measles shot and had a fucking rash on 3/4 of his body head to toe. I'm not worried about our little guy but there was an infant there that was clearly too young to even get the vaccine and was just getting over a nasty cold from what I heard after the fact. How the fuck can you be so goddamn irresponsible as a parent?! If my kid has a rash like that I am not taking him out in public anywhere. Needless to say the hostess was PISSSSED.
Yeah, a rash reaction happens in about 5% of kids who get the MMR shot, but it is normal, harmless and most importantly not contagious.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Everytime I say it his face immediately turns into a huge frown, tears start pouring out and he cries and whines. No idea what I did wrong but I experimented and 6/6 for tears over 2 days.
It's nothing. It happens.

My dad makes an elephant noise that I used to find hilarious as a kid. He did it for my daughter a couple years back and she burst into tears, every single time. I tried it, and she cried when I did it too. Now she loves it and laughs every time, and even asks me to make the noise sometimes. Infants don't have any ability to be sophisticated about their responses. He just isn't capable of telling you what he wants to tell you at this point.

chthonic-anemos

bitchute.com/video/EvyOjOORbg5l/
You're his favorite, Noodlemod. Everyone else is just a clown but you're the hysteria-inducing classical painting of clap yayy.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Whoa it's not in the water, it's in the vaccines.

I'm on the fence in regards to the over diagnoses of autism. There are some shitty doctors out there.
One doctor an assessment does not make. We had to get a child psychologist to do an initial assessment, who then referred his results to our pediatrician, who then took that and recommended a more in-depth assessment. Since he was in Kindergarten the school district handled it. The entire thing took three months. Two for observation, one to write up the report. Only then were we able to sit down and have them tell us our son was definitely on the spectrum. They took the time to list out exactly what he was doing for them to make this determination. They included the written report.

If people are listening to one person, albeit a professional, and going "OMG AUTISM", they need to get checked out too. Not for autism, but for Retard Parent Syndrome. There's more to it than that.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Doctor said kid is fine. Not a surprise to me, but it made my wife feel much better.

He hasn't said any words yet, but he's starting to say "mama" when he's upset. I think he's just saying it and hasn't attributed it to just her yet.

Also he started barking to imitate the dog - I know he's imitating her because he laughs when she barks and then laughs when he does it too.

So no first word.. just first bark.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Doctor said kid is fine. Not a surprise to me, but it made my wife feel much better.

He hasn't said any words yet, but he's starting to say "mama" when he's upset. I think he's just saying it and hasn't attributed it to just her yet.

Also he started barking to imitate the dog - I know he's imitating her because he laughs when she barks and then laughs when he does it too.

You are right on track. Welcome to parenting. Did your wife ever go see someone or is she better on her own after hearing the Doctor say the kid was fine?

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>

My youngest kid [16mo] yells "MAMA" or "MAAAAA" as a plea for attention from anyone nearby (and at his volume, it's a 500ft radius). When he wants me it's "daaaah", when he wants my wife it's a softer "mama". If he's understanding concepts, I can't recommend sign language heavily enough. It's been awesome for us.

Arative

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My kid is 18 months in a week and he only has a few words but he understands a lot. Kids tend to concentrate on one skill at a time and he's ahead in gross motor skills.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Never posted in this thread, but having to put antibacterial eye drops in my 4 year old's eyes for pink eye this past week is arguably the worst thing I've had to do as a parent, thus far. Fml.
If that's the worst, then I think you're doing pretty good.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Try having to basically keep tearing a 6 months old lip and tongue ties so that they don't heal. That was torture for everyone. Never felt so bad in my life.
frown.png