Parent Thread

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
My son can drink water and spit it out over himself and throw food everywhere. Clearly he's more advanced than noodleboy.

He has been walking since 9 months. You should be happy he's still crawljng., I think my son has had 30 concussions so far.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
My son can drink water and spit it out over himself and throw food everywhere. Clearly he's more advanced than noodleboy.

He has been walking since 9 months. You should be happy he's still crawljng., I think my son has had 30 concussions so far.
He seems geared for a hockey career.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
So my 4 year old goes in for her annual checkup. Her speech is officially on par with her age so that speech therapy really did some wonders. But the dr wants her tested for autism. I wasn't able to be there because work is crazeballs so my wife went, which was a fucking huge mistake. This fucking LADY tells me that the dr wants her tested, but can't explain why. My daughter doesn't show any symptoms that I know of. She's sociable, does pretend play, plays with other people, is affectionate, etc. When pressed, my wife tried listing off the things that gave the dr concern and it was things like "she tends to stay up late at night" or "she eats a lot". I mean... what the fuck. This is what I get for missing an appointment.

The only thing anyone said that makes sense was that her older sister has had a lot of problems with ADHD and they like to test the siblings in those cases, and she did have a pretty severe speech delay but she is on point now even according to the dr who wants her tested. This fucking shit.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
What does the SLP think? Communication in general is a key aspect to determining spectrum related diagnoses; (sensory and other behavioral components too, obviously) but communication is the tie that usually binds. I would ask the SLP.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So my 4 year old goes in for her annual checkup. Her speech is officially on par with her age so that speech therapy really did some wonders. But the dr wants her tested for autism. I wasn't able to be there because work is crazeballs so my wife went, which was a fucking huge mistake. This fucking LADY tells me that the dr wants her tested, but can't explain why. My daughter doesn't show any symptoms that I know of. She's sociable, does pretend play, plays with other people, is affectionate, etc. When pressed, my wife tried listing off the things that gave the dr concern and it was things like "she tends to stay up late at night" or "she eats a lot". I mean... what the fuck. This is what I get for missing an appointment.

The only thing anyone said that makes sense was that her older sister has had a lot of problems with ADHD and they like to test the siblings in those cases, and she did have a pretty severe speech delay but she is on point now even according to the dr who wants her tested. This fucking shit.
Not related to this but how is your other daughter doing?

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Try having to basically keep tearing a 6 months old lip and tongue ties so that they don't heal. That was torture for everyone. Never felt so bad in my life.
frown.png
Err, didn't the cauterize it? My middle kid had to have it done but they did it when they put him under for his first set of eat tubes (at 10 months old).

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Not related to this but how is your other daughter doing?
She's doing really great in school. She has trouble making friends, I think, at least with kids her own age. But she does make some, and she gets along with adults and older kids. At home, meh, on days when she doesn't have her medicine it is challenging for her. I feel so bad for her. But even her worst day now is nothing like her bad days back in the fall.

A guy at work the other day is just railing about how people overmedicate their kids and blah blah blah, and he just will not shut up about it. Like 10 minutes of this shit. So I did the thing people do, told him he doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about. Sometimes medication works, and man, it fucking WORKS. I still sometimes wonder if I am doing something harmful to her long-term by medicating her, but then my wife will remind me how bad it was and punch me in the arm and call me an asshole. It was so, so bad and now she's more or less a normal little girl. She's still in a modified classroom most of the day, but she does go to a normal kindergarten class for a few hours per day.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
What does the SLP think? Communication in general is a key aspect to determining spectrum related diagnoses; (sensory and other behavioral components too, obviously) but communication is the tie that usually binds. I would ask the SLP.
She actually might have some kind of sensory thing. Her sister has ADHD, but the psychologist also thinks she has a sensory disorder. The school was supposed to follow up with an occupational therapist for that but never did, so thanks for reminding me!

But my youngest, she is highly sensitive to noise, she's very finicky about textures and water temperature, things like that. Her sister does similar things.

She communicates really well now. She has a tendency to revert to baby talk, but I think that's just for attention because she's used to being babied by everyone, when we tell her to stop and to talk correctly she does. When she started speech therapy it was lke she was speaking her own language that only my wife and I really knew well. Now she speaks clearly, full sentences, whole conversations and social interactions. If the dr hadn't mentioned it, the idea of autism never would have occured to me in a million years.

She is about a year younger than my other daughter was when she started having her troubles, though. And when that happened it was pretty immediate, like someone flipped a switch and she went nuts.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Err, didn't the cauterize it? My middle kid had to have it done but they did it when they put him under for his first set of eat tubes (at 10 months old).
They used a laser and it self cauterizes but still needed to be done due to how quickly mouth tissue heals.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
She actually might have some kind of sensory thing. Her sister has ADHD, but the psychologist also thinks she has a sensory disorder. The school was supposed to follow up with an occupational therapist for that but never did, so thanks for reminding me!

But my youngest, she is highly sensitive to noise, she's very finicky about textures and water temperature, things like that. Her sister does similar things.

She communicates really well now. She has a tendency to revert to baby talk, but I think that's just for attention because she's used to being babied by everyone, when we tell her to stop and to talk correctly she does. When she started speech therapy it was like she was speaking her own language that only my wife and I really knew well. Now she speaks clearly, full sentences, whole conversations and social interactions. If the dr hadn't mentioned it, the idea of autism never would have occurred to me in a million years.

She is about a year younger than my other daughter was when she started having her troubles, though. And when that happened it was pretty immediate, like someone flipped a switch and she went nuts.
Well sometimes kids have Sensory Processing (Disorders) and while many children with autism have sensory processing disorders children with sensory processing disorders do not automatically fall on the spectrum. It is not easy for a pediatrician who took a two day course on autism to weed out those diagnoses. Actually - it is not easy for many professionals as new symptoms, clusters and descriptions seem to develop daily.

An OT who specializes in sensory processing would be likely the most skilled to determine and treat if that is the path you think necessary. The SPD foundation may have some information for you if you want to look into it.
Best of luck to you and your family.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Went to my sisters baby shower today. Really weird to see my sister who is 9 years younger than me having a kid that will be 1 year younger than mine. Yes, unplanned. Very awkward.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
You think that's weird? I was told a story the other day of family friends where the daughter and mother are both having children that will be months apart. The nephew will be the older of the two.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Also my aunt with typhoid showed up..... My wife said something and made her cry
Good. While it's hard to transfer with good sanitary habits, there's a young kid and a pregnant mother there. Bitch best not be there and just send a fucking card.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
You think that's weird? I was told a story the other day of family friends where the daughter and mother are both having children that will be months apart. The nephew will be the older of the two.
i graduated with a set of three guys that called themselves cousins, but i later found out that the youngest of the three was actually the uncle to to the other two. all three are totally normal grown ups today *shrugs*.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Daughter had her 3 year check up last week. Doctor wants us to take her to a nutritionist because she is in the 15%ish percentile for weight and height. I blame my wife for being snall and Asian. He did say even if she stays in that height percentile she will be taller than the wife at lwast

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Daughter had her 3 year check up last week. Doctor wants us to take her to a nutritionist because she is in the 15%ish percentile for weight and height. I blame my wife for being snall and Asian. He did say even if she stays in that height percentile she will be taller than the wife at lwast
If she's eating food, she's fine. My daughter was in the same situation (and isn't any part asian that I know of), and it was more "Make sure she eats when she wants to and keep trying to get her to try other foods". So it was a lot of buttered noodles and stuff but she's 5 now and fine.