Parent Thread

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
So I ran by Target tonight and picked up a few different sizes of nipple tops for the bottle. He's a real bastard. He doesn't even ATTEMPT to latch on. The second he feels the rubber nipple surface, he just starts screaming. Even if his eyes are closed. He wants nothing to do with a bottle. PITA.

agripa

Molten Core Raider
We just had our 2nd kid. She had a tongue tie and had trouble keeping a latch during breast feeding. We got the tongue tie laser dissolved at our lactation consultant. That shit looked painful but she was only 3 days old and is recovering like a champ. It also cured her latching issues which is worth it in the long run.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
First unassisted steps today at exactly 10 months old. Two almost three steps

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I think tonight is the first night I've actually been able to have a conversation about the upcoming Bandwagon Jr without having a godamn panic attack. We're talking baby names. So far, she's saying "Elliot" or "Allison", and I'm going with "Donald" or "@Gretchen2018"

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
What do you do when your kid is an asshole?

Ever since starting Kindergarten, my daughter has been a real bitch. She's getting EXTREMELY bossy about fucking everything. You try to do something nice for her, and she flips out that you didn't do it the way she wanted you to. There's a problem with fucking EVERYTHING. I used to enjoy reading to her every night. She was always good about that, and we had fun. But now she's even bossy about that. Change the name to this and if I don't, she gets bitchy. Read 3 more! Read 5 more!

I realize the number thing is because of school. Her teacher has a reading log thing that the parents fill out every night. For every 10 books that are read, the child gets a penny toy. For every 100 books that are read, they get something worth $1. It's a hustle for the kids to keep pushing the parents for more, and I'm getting tired of reading to her. Really bugs me.

But that's a lesser issue. The big problem is everything else and her attitude about everything. What can I do about this? My wife and I never yell at her or hit, but we clearly express our displeasure with a firm voice. She cries when we do that and says we're yelling. I'm getting fed up... I don't know.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Is she having problems with other kids? Is she socially okay, but just bossy to you guys at home?

If it's just you guys at home I'd simply shut down whenever she got bossy. You're reading and she's bossing you to the point of forcing you to change names and being shitty when you don't do it? Stop reading. Every single time. Tell her she's being too bossy and she can't act like that, then walk away. There will be tears and screaming, but be strong. She'll eventually get the picture.

If she's doing the same thing at school to the other kids, she's going to be really lonely really soon. That might need some therapy.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My sister was like that. Now she travels the US in a RV while her baby daddy does pipeline welding. She has one kid and been accidentally pregnant 5 times.

Just saying man.

When our kid is like that it's immediate time out after a single warning

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Man, I am the worst with that reading log. My kids read every night but I literally never fill out the reading log. Teachers must just assume we're real pieces of shit.

I don't know how other people do it. There's just so much shit to remember to get done on a basic day that throwing busywork like "fill out the reading log" in never registers with me.

Larnix

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think daycare and school are a part of it. They have a chance to see how other children act and some of the care givers can be authoritarian. After 2.5 years as a stay at home parent I have noticed it with both children when I went back to work and they started daycare in July. I always give them a chance to use their manners before making a bigger deal about it. My son (5 on Dec 22) had a few episodes when I would pick up him from daycare, after warning him that I was frustrated with him ( that's the red-line in our house) he carried on with his attitude. I had to put a stop to right there in front of his teachers and all his "friends", I just treated him the way he was treating me. I told him I would continue to act this way until he remembered how to use his manners with me. That was about 3 weeks ago and he has been a pleasure to pick up since. my 2 year old daughter can be very bossy now, I just remind her to use a please and a thank you.

Reading logs suck, we have couple each for both children between daycare, preschool, and the library events . We read all the time also and I just end up filling out like 200 slots at one sitting so my kids can get those stupid prizes that rarely even make it through the car ride home.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Man, I am the worst with that reading log. My kids read every night but I literally never fill out the reading log. Teachers must just assume we're real pieces of shit.

I don't know how other people do it. There's just so much shit to remember to get done on a basic day that throwing busywork like "fill out the reading log" in never registers with me.
Our kids used to love to read. Then they got assigned reading logs and tested on books at school and we tried to be perfect with our logs. They have never read a book since then. I think schools are really screwing kids up by making reading a chore. I read almost 2k pages from Brandon Sanderson this last weekend because growing up reading wasn’t assigned.

• 1Solidarity

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Our kids used to love to read. Then they got assigned reading logs and tested on books at school and we tried to be perfect with our logs. They have never read a book since then. I think schools are really screwing kids up by making reading a chore. I read almost 2k pages from Brandon Sanderson this last weekend because growing up reading wasn’t assigned.
This is really the only hope I have, is that my poor parenting somehow translates into independence on their part.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I think tonight is the first night I've actually been able to have a conversation about the upcoming Bandwagon Jr without having a godamn panic attack. We're talking baby names. So far, she's saying "Elliot" or "Allison", and I'm going with "Donald" or "@Gretchen2018"

When is the baby due? My wife is due May 3rd, and we're about at the stage of coming up with names - found out the kid is going to be a boy so pretty pumped about that. My wife was hoping it would be a girl, but her South African brother in law, who is a complete shitstain, said something funny to us about it - "with the boy you only have to worry about one dick, with a girl you have to worry about every dick in the world". Made my wife feel better

• 1Worf

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I think it's weird how people have this tendency to boil interactions with your daughters down to their future sexual activities. I've had dozens of people tell me about how I need to "get a shotgun before they hit their teen years" haha yes, you have daughters, and some day they will fuck! Isn't that hilarious! You should prevent this! Its fucking weird.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider

You just sign the fucking thing while you curse the mother fucking educational system the entire time. Ours are tied to their behavior and they can get legit detention/etc for not having it filled out. Luckily all ours is just a spread sheet with one cell for your signature and the other the date you say they read. I literally just pull the damn thing out as soon as I get home (or they meet me in my office since I work at the same system) and sign it. If they freak out about the honesty of it, i just tell them to not make it a lie then.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider

They are screwing it all up by making all of this a stress filled nightmare to get good test scores. I'm usually not opposed to the idea of testing as a way to gauge teacher effectiveness, but it has warped into this constant barrage of anything less than near perfect is failure. And for kids already wired like that (which my daughter is), it makes Sunday nights hell. I actually like the newer standards as it helps facilitate thinking for higher level math. And I see English being more accelerated too. However, it does no good if they don't allow any room for failure, coupled with the fact that they totally threw the baby out with the bath water and makes some parts of the basics harder than they need to be. (Rote memorization in math is a good example)

Last edited:

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
When is the baby due? My wife is due May 3rd, and we're about at the stage of coming up with names - found out the kid is going to be a boy so pretty pumped about that. My wife was hoping it would be a girl, but her South African brother in law, who is a complete shitstain, said something funny to us about it - "with the boy you only have to worry about one dick, with a girl you have to worry about every dick in the world". Made my wife feel better
May 31st, now. Due date was exactly my birthday in early June at first.

I woke up in a cold sweat at 2:45 this morning, just thinking "it's not 9 months....its under 6".

For someone that's spent their entire adult life moving out of state or country every year, the idea of being locked down in a routine for 20 years is unfathomable.