Parent Thread

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Regardless of what she says beforehand, if during the delivery she says she wants to get the epidural, don't say "but you said you didn't want it"

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
We are 3 weeks away from our due date as of today. Everything has gone great in the pregnancy so far, only a little heartburn to complain of. We've been going to group prenatal checkups and all of the other pregnant women are having the worst of every possible complication, so we're really thankful it's been a breeze so far!

Girlfriend is planning on trying to go through birth without an epidural, I think she's fucked in the head but at least she'll get to huff some nitrous before the pushing.

Any advice for the delivery room?
Plan not to, but make sure you let the anesthetist that she might change her mind (just to keep the option open).

Regardless of what she says beforehand, if during the delivery she says she wants to get the epidural, don't say "but you said you didn't want it"
A thousand times this.

Siliconemelons

They wont do it once you are in "actual delivery" - aka if your anywhere within the area of where you are having REAL contractions they are not going to try and stick a damn metal stick in your spine as a real delivery process contraction you are not going to be able to will yourself from not moving etc.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
It took a little bit longer but the kiddo is finally talking. He's up to 3 or 4 word sentences and he copies damn near everything including GPS turns, and audiobook words. He's got some catching up to do but it's really exciting seeing him make progress on a daily basis.

And if any of you are having blowout issues this may sound bonkers but look into brush therapy. We were having crazy issues with getting him into his car seat for a couple months now. We're talking hysterical crying and if I had to adjust him he'd go rigid.Nothing we tried helped the situation. Man it sucked.

A couple weeks ago his OT suggested we give brush therapy a try. She had tried it with him a few times and she felt he'd benefit from it. He went from a total blow if I even the mention of his car seat in the house to having zero issues. It doesn't phase him at all any more.

And last night was hell night at bed time. Bed time is usually easy with him. Just mention it's time to brush teeth and he runs in and goes right to bed. Yesterday he took a 15 minute nap in the car and by 6 it was apparent it was bed time. Hysterically upset during the entire process. Put him in bed hoping he'd calm himself down which he's usually able to do.

Nope. I grabbed the brush and went in and did the brush routine (takes a few minutes) and he calmed immediately. Even held his arms and legs up for me. Kissed him good night and left them room. He was asleep in under 5 minutes.
Check it out. Shit works yo.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
What are some good youtube videos to share with my 9 year old son? Funny stuff, memes, the classics. It can have a bit of swearing in it so long as it's not really graphic.
I've shown him stuff like the Powerthirst , gonads and strife video, honey badger, Over 9000, numa numa guy... that sort of thing. Even some of the original South Park stuff which is still hilarious.

So far the Weeeeee song and South Park are his favorites:

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I'm having a rough time with my son. Born on September 3rd, and he REFUSES to use a bottle EVER. My wife has gone back to work now, working the night shift. Tyler will sleep for a while, but wakes up sometime between 1 and 3am. Then nothing I do calms him down. He'll scream then sleep for around 20 min, then scream, then sleep. An endless circle of "I hate my life". Ugh... I wish he would just use a fucking bottle already.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I'm having a rough time with my son. Born on September 3rd, and he REFUSES to use a bottle EVER. My wife has gone back to work now, working the night shift. Tyler will sleep for a while, but wakes up sometime between 1 and 3am. Then nothing I do calms him down. He'll scream then sleep for around 20 min, then scream, then sleep. An endless circle of "I hate my life". Ugh... I wish he would just use a fucking bottle already.

Try hard to be patient. I know that's wicked hard in your situation, but he will eventually take the bottle and things will get better. Just keep trying, man. Not a lot of other options.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I know. It'll happen eventually, but right now sucks a lot. I can usually calm him down, but if he's hungry, I'm SOL because he's a stubborn little bastard.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Took the kids to Medieval Times last night. Shit blew their minds.

• 2Like

Keystone

Lord Nagafen Raider
Are you trying different bottles? I’ve been told not to buy a bunch of bottles until we are sure the babies will take them. Apparently some kids only will take certain kinds of nipples.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Only the bottle that comes with the Modella breast pump.
You are going to need to look at your wife's nipples and look for different nipples that might match that. Your baby doesn't like the size, shape, or pliability of that nipple is what it is. If you have access to a lactation consultant talk to them about it.

Quite often the problem can be in reverse which is why it is important for the baby to hit the actual breast first and quite often to start. You can't change her nipples and the baby latches on to a brand and size nipple off a bottle and then doesn't want the real thing because it doesn't match the thing that they imprinted on right away.

Go buy six to twelve different nipples and try them all.

• 1Solidarity

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
You are going to need to look at your wife's nipples and look for different nipples that might match that. Your baby doesn't like the size, shape, or pliability of that nipple is what it is. If you have access to a lactation consultant talk to them about it.

Quite often the problem can be in reverse which is why it is important for the baby to hit the actual breast first and quite often to start. You can't change her nipples and the baby latches on to a brand and size nipple off a bottle and then doesn't want the real thing because it doesn't match the thing that they imprinted on right away.

Go buy six to twelve different nipples and try them all.
We didn't think to compare w/ the real thing, but tried 4 or 5 different brands before settling. It was a flow issue for us, for a while in the beginning she was pulling too much in or the flow was too fast. Used 'preemie' nipples until she got the hang of it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My son wouldn't take the breast at all but he took to any bottle we gave him.

Funny enough he was sick the last few days. Very angry and not sleeping. I'm sitting there in a chair with him and his body shoots out from laying on me to full sitting then slowly going back to laying down while farting and shitting his pants. It was seriously a 20 second fart shit. Totally blew out his pants and looked like pea soup but immediate mood change.

Also family members are such dicks. When I refuse to let them hold him they get all pouty but the dude hates people holding him. Of course they dont listen and he freaks out.

• 1Worf

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
My wife has fairly large nipples. Not quite "pretzel nuggets", but a step down from them. It's difficult to imagine a bottle having a nipple that large. But good idea. I'll check out babies r us and see what they have.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
My wife has fairly large nipples. Not quite "pretzel nuggets", but a step down from them. It's difficult to imagine a bottle having a nipple that large. But good idea. I'll check out babies r us and see what they have.

We obviously need photographic details.

• 2Solidarity

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
First time I’ve heard pretzel nugget niople.

Transitioned all three from cribs to toddler beds today. Nap time didn’t happen since they all just got up and played, but bedtime was fine. Our daughter started climbing out of her crib the last couple of days so we had to switch her, so figured might as well do all of them.

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
... Our daughter started climbing out of her crib the last couple of days so we had to switch her, ...
Reminds me I need to drop ours down another level, she's trying to get a leg up. This will be the second adjustment from top position. I think it's about 3" per graduation.

She's also decided within the last couple weeks that walking is something she wants to do. Pretty sure all of her older cousins (5 - 10 yr old) running around had a big impact on this.