Parent Thread

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
It's really weird. Both my children never had sleeping problems until 2-4 or so. Before 2 it was fairly rare for them to get up at night. I guess I got really lucky with that.

5 year old is finally getting acclimated to kindergarden and his behavior is finally better. That took some time though, lord. He hit a kid, and kicked a teacher in the last 3 months. But its all settled down now in the last 2-3 weeks so we hope that its largely the end of it.

It's like prison, you have to establish dominance by kicking ass when you first get in. Your kid has shown them who's boss, gotten their respect, and now all is well and calm in his world.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
It's like prison, you have to establish dominance by kicking ass when you first get in. Your kid has shown them who's boss, gotten their respect, and now all is well and calm in his world.

Well shit, when you put it like that it makes sense! That's my boy. hahah

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Plans and/or materials for this?
Honestly it’s all just wood i had around the house. The face is some sort of wood siding for like a shed that the previous owners of the house left, reinforced around the edges and a few stringers across with 2x4s. The top is a 2x8, and the angled supports on the top sides are 2x10 scraps that were cut with a miter saw. Only thing I bought were the handholds, which were around $30.

And yeah, I still need to do some sanding on the side parts. The face and top surfaces are all good, just haven’t done the sides.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
So I gotta take issue with you cosleeper folks. I'm sure this won't be popular, but I don't think it's awesome to have your kid in bed with you. Establish your own space, let them establish their own space, and let them sleep there. My wife and I have a bed. Each of our kids has a bed. We're all expected to sleep in our own beds. Sure, there are cuddle times and hang out times, but I don't want my kids in bed with me ever when I'm sleeping. Never have.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but can someone explain to me how it's better to make it a regular thing that your kid has to be in bed with you to sleep well than to establish their own sleeping space and make that permanent?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ryanz

<Banned>
In my case, our kid is a newborn. It's not that he can't sleep without being in our bed, it's that we both want him there for peace of mind and easy accessibility. Once we are both comfortable with being new parents and he's not constantly waking up wanting to eat or needing to be changed he has a bassinet and a crib he can sleep in.

Pilforgod

Silver Knight of the Realm
Both my 2nd daughter and then the third kid my son slept in our bed while they nursed and grew into toddlers as they fed like crazy and it was the only way my wife was going to get sleep. Neither of them like sleeping in our bed at night at all now that they are older. My oldest daughter who did not co-sleep is the one that sneaks in or asks if she can get in when we go to bed. So I wake her up occasionally and let her come in with us. These years go by so fast, its nice to spend some quality time just being close with them and having them want to spend time with you. No my sleep is not great when she sleeps with us, but I am willing to make that sacrifice for now. I expect that these requests from her will end sooner than later.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but can someone explain to me how it's better to make it a regular thing that your kid has to be in bed with you to sleep well than to establish their own sleeping space and make that permanent?

I don't think its better, just a personal choice. Also, sometimes it may be necessary. If we didn't co-sleep #2 and #3 my wife would've never gotten sleep at night because they fed like crazy. All of my kids were 8-12 lbs at birth and were constantly hungry in the early years.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
9 month appointment today; 24 lbs, 31.5 in, 99th percentile in both for her age, she's a beast. Hopefully she slows down a little and doesn't end up an amazon.

• 1Worf

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
9 month appointment today; 24 lbs, 31.5 in, 99th percentile in both for her age, she's a beast. Hopefully she slows down a little and doesn't end up an amazon.

Gal Gadot amazon or
1163.jpg
?

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Having a bit of a panic today about the pregnancy. Sometimes this thread helps, sometimes it makes it worse.

At least it helps make it feel normal.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Having a bit of a panic today about the pregnancy. Sometimes this thread helps, sometimes it makes it worse.

At least it helps make it feel normal.

Ya, wife and I found out today our first kid is going to be a boy... Not sure how to feel about it really, as we were both kind of thinking/feeling it'd be a girl. Stoked though to know the sex, but mostly to find out the kid is healthy etc. The pregnancy thing so far has kind of sucked, and having a boy kind of sucks in that now he'll be subjected to the crushing heartbreak that is being a sports fan like his stupid dad....

• 1Like

Ryanz

<Banned>
Me and wife were also hoping for a girl. When we found out it was a boy we were both kind of disappointed, but that all goes away as you see him start to grow bigger and start kicking and moving around inside there. Once he's born the only thing that really matters anymore is that it's yours.

• 1Like

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I didn't have an opinion either way, but since #1 is a girl I'd like #2 to be a boy. I'll be happy either way as long as baby + mom are healthy.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
We had a bay bed thing that stood next to our bed where my wife could just pull the little one over at night for breastfeeding and then push her back into the safe part. No fear of suffocating your own kid. That worked for us.

Also not a big fan of cosleeping as a permanent thing. If my kids need me next to them to fall asleep I can't play WoW so there's that.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Doing much better with bedtime now. In the morning he keeps waking up in the middle of the night screaming "mommy!!" But it's fading.

Funny thing is last week was my wife's birthday and I bought her some.candy with her gifts (m&Ms). My kid is a fiend for m&Ms so he couldn't stop talking about it. When I wouldn't give them to him he threw a major fit in the house and I told my wife "guess you could figure out what we picked out for you"

Today's my bday and he did the same thing. Except cuter. He came running home yesterday going "we bought daddy a lotta lotta lotta candy!!" And kept repeating it running through the house

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
We are 3 weeks away from our due date as of today. Everything has gone great in the pregnancy so far, only a little heartburn to complain of. We've been going to group prenatal checkups and all of the other pregnant women are having the worst of every possible complication, so we're really thankful it's been a breeze so far!

Girlfriend is planning on trying to go through birth without an epidural, I think she's fucked in the head but at least she'll get to huff some nitrous before the pushing.

Any advice for the delivery room?