Parent Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I spend most of my time at poor people parks where everyone basically dumps their kids off and don lt see them until its time to leave. Im at a rich people park, everyone is never separated from their spawn for more then a few seconds.

I think im getting dirty looks for wearing a "merica" wife beater and watching my kid at a distance.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Bunch of old fucks up in here amirite?

I'll be 45 in August but the kids are 6 and 3 so I've got that going for me, which is nice. Thought about getting the tubes snipped but somehow the wife always keeps going on how she needs the hormone contraceptive anyway because she'd bleed like a gutted cow if she didn't and then I push it to the back of my head again.
Even if I got snipped, my wife would still opt for the IUD. The no bleeding (or exceptionally minimal bleeding) for her (and me, let's be honest) is pretty legit. She'll probably have it removed after the first kid is around 18mo old to give a chance for a second round, and then I'll definitely get a permanent solution, even if she still gets another IUD.

Daughter just had her 2 month shots, and the "I feel bad" cry is heart crushing, especially seeing her first actual tear, but hey, she's sleeping for about 3 hours at a time, so the extra bit of peace is nice.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
My daughter is almost 4 months old and for the past two weeks she's been sleeping from about 7 pm to 5:30 am. It's pretty nice. Her napping during the day isn't that great but my son was that way too until he started to crawl then he napped for hours at a time.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

IUD's imo should be a secondary form - if your spewing full on full power sperms in there, the chances of having a tube baby, or a baby attached to the IUD itself etc. is actually higher than they tell you. And both of those situations like to kill you fairly fast after the small window of opportunity - but, on the bright side - you do get the 99% effectiveness as those forms of pregnancy do not result in kids, just you know...death...infertility...etc. And it is hard to detect a pregnancy that happens because of the way it works with its level of hormone etc.

But that is just IMO :)

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
One of my exes had an IUD and got pregnant with her ex about two months after we broke up. I've dodged a few bullets in my life, lol. And I'll get snipped when it comes time for IUD #3 for my wife.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I've literally done this...
2vYCGyq.jpg

• 8Worf
Reactions: 7 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The lyrics in the made up songs I sang to my kid when I was trying to sing him to sleep would've gotten CPS to take him from me. But on the other hand it calmed my wife down when I sang all the things she was thinking of doing when the kid was rustling jimmies at 3AM.

I've been spending a lot of time working at Mcdonalds with my kid in the evenings and weekends and see a lot of families pass through. Nothing is more relaxing than a mother with 4+ kids strolling in and just trying to catch a break from parenting for as long as possible. As long as nobody is screaming bloody murder it's all fair game and I don't have to really worry about whether my little shit is obeying whatever rules parents come up with.

Today though, this capricious mother was in there turning to yell at her spawn every 15 minutes or so. She was making up all these dumb rules for her kid to follow and he was totally confused as to what he could and couldn't do. What a waste of time.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Parents that yell and set random rules annoy me, even more so now that I'm a parent. You gotta have consistency, otherwise you're never going to have any sort of order.

• 1Like

Archdruid Archeron

the Site Surgeon
<Granularity Engineer>
Parents that yell and set random rules annoy me, even more so now that I'm a parent. You gotta have consistency, otherwise you're never going to have any sort of order.

💯

My philosophy on this topic is "if I am angry, I am not parenting. I need to be the grown-up to parent, so I need to be calm". Make rules, stick to them, but be calm and collected about it (barring risk of immediate physical danger). On the topic of rules, my six year old is already capable of becoming a world class constitutional lawyer: she can string together three rules and identify the loophole or interesting conditional decision tree created by them, and advocate for exceptions based upon this reasoning. I always given in. My thinking being: "My job is to build values and character, and that sort of shit is going to make her an awesome grown-up so why the fuck would I want to punish her for it as a child". She probably needs to hear me yell more as she gets older so that this sharp brain of hers isn't shut down any time anyone raises their voice...

That said, parenting is hard. No one gets it right or can ever know what could have been different/better (lack of A|B testing capability is a bitch). I don't like to judge or give advice. What the fuck do I know? I have one kid, six years of practice...

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
My 10 year old follows soccer a lot, even when it's not the World Cup. Today we went out to eat and there was a huge string of 20 or so world flags up. He was able to name them all easily. Including like... Iran... Saudi Arabia... Nigeria... Croatia.... I mean really who the hell knows this? I'd be lucky to name 5.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
My 10 year old follows soccer a lot, even when it's not the World Cup. Today we went out to eat and there was a huge string of 20 or so world flags up. He was able to name them all easily. Including like... Iran... Saudi Arabia... Nigeria... Croatia.... I mean really who the hell knows this? I'd be lucky to name 5.
TIL I'm a 10 year old.

Volto!

Lord Nagafen Raider
My boy is just over 9 weeks old now and between shitting, farting, sleeping and eating, all he does is smile. It. Is. Amazing. Being able to make him smile is one of the best feelings I’ve ever experienced. It’s truly fulfilling. So far I love being a Dad.

Archeron Archeron i like what you said about being angry vs being a parent. And I hope my kid can argue in that same manner when he’s old enough. It is such a valuable life skill to be able to parse information and find inconsistencies AND be capable of verbalizing/explaining them.

• 3Solidarity
  • 3Like
Reactions: 5 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Spent more than ever before on fireworks this year, but the pure joy and amazement on all the kids faces was totally worth it. Had about 10 kids under 10 between family and neighborhood kids that had come over to see the show.

All for the kids, right?

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I'm enjoying this little monster quite a bit. Spent all day on the 4th with her strapped to my chest. Just hit 1 month.

36490134_406710719835296_4308911779204825088_o.jpg

22936.jpeg

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
What did you do to transition your child from titty baby to sleeping on her own? So far, I'm thinking my wife being off for 3 months has caused issues with our child being able to handle sleeping on her own, but it's not just that. She sleeps in swings, or other things that essentially coddle, or vibrate, if she's not using my wife's breast as a pacifier. She'll pass right the fuck out, but the second you lay her down on a flat surface, she wakes up, and proceeds to scream until my wife coddles her back to sleep. Rinse, repeat.

Wife goes back to work next weekend (evenings), so I imagine I'll have a bit more control when she's not at home and I need to sleep, letting her cry out a bit, but that shit hurts my soul and I'd like advice on how to handle the transition better. Had I known, I would have asked earlier. But alas...

Arative

Vyemm Raider
My daughter had some acid reflux, which is fairly common in babies, probably less in breast feed ones though and we would have her sleep on an incline in the bassinet. If she was laying flat, she would grunt and just seem in discomfort. At points she would only sleep if someone was holding her.

Around 3 months is when their digestive tract matures and sleeping got better with her laying flat now that she is 4 months. We just started the transition to her crib from our room, where she is doing fine laying flat. Sleeps from about 7 pm to 3-4am.

It could be something as simple as as acid reflux. Do you use pacifers other than the breast? Do you swaddle her? Or use sleep sacks?