Parent Thread

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
I've also suddenly started dissecting just how awful a Father I had (the typical alcoholic, abusive, cut contact with him a decade ago etc) and panicking about the cycle repeating itself as he did his Father. Cards on the table, after celebrating all night and my Wife going to bed I found myself suddenly crying on the sofa (like a bitch). I was always pretty sure it was the girl that was meant to experience hormonal moments. My Wife is one of those women just born to be a Mother and making sure I don't let her down is at the forefront of my brain.

If you can identify where your father went wrong, and are able to come up with a better way of handling it, you’re good. If you end up reacting the way he did, then you didn’t figure out that better way.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
My Wife and I decided to do away with birth control a few months ago and 'let nature take it's course'...after a week or two of feeling pretty sick my Wife just took a test and both lines lit up. It's absolutely what we both want but, and I'm sure I'm not alone, the emotions running around my head are pretty mixed and scary right now.

It's funny how, after originally finding this site in the early 00s for Vex Thal pics when my guild were still farming ToV, I find myself breaking my daily routine of browsing the FSR to read a thread about parenthood! Where did those 15, 16 years go?!

If anyone has any websites they'd recommend or golden tips for the next few weeks and months I'd be very grateful! My Wife and I are both teachers of young children (her 3 - 4 year olds and me 6 - 7 year olds) but I'm not sure it prepared me in any way for these feelings. I also just gave up teaching and opened my own gym which, whilst it's opened well and is making solid profits, scares the hell out of me. Providing for a mortgage feels a lot different to providing for an upcoming family. The 16 hour days I'm clocking up are also going to need addressing.

I've also suddenly started dissecting just how awful a Father I had (the typical alcoholic, abusive, cut contact with him a decade ago etc) and panicking about the cycle repeating itself as he did his Father. Cards on the table, after celebrating all night and my Wife going to bed I found myself suddenly crying on the sofa (like a bitch). I was always pretty sure it was the girl that was meant to experience hormonal moments. My Wife is one of those women just born to be a Mother and making sure I don't let her down is at the forefront of my brain.

From what I've already read it feels like these first few months involve heavy self-reflection whilst simultaneously prioritising the Mum's stress levels, emotions etc. I'm just amazed at the realisation that my Wife is growing someone inside of her, just amazing. I've always really admired her but it's on a completely different level.
every day is a new start. Worthwhile advice to keep in mind with kids. And with pregnancies.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
45 hours? Holy crap, man. Your wife is a hero.

Congrats on the cute little rug rat! Your life is now different forever. It's awesome.
Yea, I'm typically not very sympathetic to her hypochondria or other people's complaints after being a FF/EMT. I tell her to toughen up regularly. She was definitely a hardass through labor though, and had nothing left when they started recommending a C-section. Freaked me out because she hadn't eaten in 36 hours, was shaking violently and kept passing out from sleep deprivation during the surgery. Scary stuff.

All's good now, though, and baby girl is calm and very curious and mama is happy in between naps.

Baby's initials are SJW, much to my dismay. We just couldn't agree on a middle name that wasn't a J. :D

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
If anyone has any websites they'd recommend or golden tips for the next few weeks and months I'd be very grateful!
Congratulations!

Take away her internet.

NOW!

I can't count the times where the wife would mail me about some stupid shit that might go wrong and end up with us having a horribly disabled child.

Later the mails turned into phone calls where you'd hear that she's on the verge of crying in panic because some cunt on some website said if you eat salami during pregnancy your kid will turn out like a mixture of the notre dame dude and donald trump.

Take away her internet.
Now.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Arative

Vyemm Raider
My Wife and I decided to do away with birth control a few months ago and 'let nature take it's course'...after a week or two of feeling pretty sick my Wife just took a test and both lines lit up. It's absolutely what we both want but, and I'm sure I'm not alone, the emotions running around my head are pretty mixed and scary right now.

It's funny how, after originally finding this site in the early 00s for Vex Thal pics when my guild were still farming ToV, I find myself breaking my daily routine of browsing the FSR to read a thread about parenthood! Where did those 15, 16 years go?!

If anyone has any websites they'd recommend or golden tips for the next few weeks and months I'd be very grateful! My Wife and I are both teachers of young children (her 3 - 4 year olds and me 6 - 7 year olds) but I'm not sure it prepared me in any way for these feelings. I also just gave up teaching and opened my own gym which, whilst it's opened well and is making solid profits, scares the hell out of me. Providing for a mortgage feels a lot different to providing for an upcoming family. The 16 hour days I'm clocking up are also going to need addressing.

From what I've already read it feels like these first few months involve heavy self-reflection whilst simultaneously prioritising the Mum's stress levels, emotions etc. I'm just amazed at the realisation that my Wife is growing someone inside of her, just amazing. I've always really admired her but it's on a completely different level.

Pregnancy hormones are a bitch. Be prepared for crying and laughing in about a 30 second span. Don't necessarily treat your wife with kid gloves but don't be dick either. You're going to make mistakes, learn from them. Don't put too much pressure on yourself to not let her down. Be there for her, be involved in the pregnancy and learn to give good foot massages in the 3rd trimester.

The fact that you recognize how bad your father was, means you're already ahead in the game.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
My wife and I just read the What To Expect The First Year book, and I picked this up as a dad's survival guide :)

As for your dad and the cycle repeating itself, as long as you don't act like your dad on the regular you should be ok. If you do, then now is the time to start practicing patience and self control because when kids hit 2.. no 3 .... no 4 .... no 5... they test the fuck out of your patience to see what they can get away with.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Hmm, didn't realize how convenient it would be to have someone I can blame farts on.

So much for cutting back on dairy.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Careful what you wish for. My son farts on me all the damn time. He especially likes blasting my hand as I"m wiping his ass. He thinks it's the funniest thing in the world. I told him not to start a war he can't finish. Time to eat a pint of Ben & Jerry's and send him into orbit.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
went to a parade today. This fat lady and tall asian man kept standing directly infront of my 3yr old. After about 30min of it we had a showdown. Wasnt too bad but I had to inform both of them that they are insanely rude for standing infront of a child to snap 100s of pictures.

I had to be an asshole about it, shrug. The city blocked off an entire quadrant of the city so its not like room was sparse.

Last edited:

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So im sittint here at mcds eating my usual biggiesises 1 pounder meal (really a gauc grilled chicken sandwich, no ranch and with water a++++) doing some work and checking on my 3 year old every 15 minutes or so. Sometimes he is visible immediately sometimes he isnt. Tons of people here, would be auper easy for him to wander off or get kidnapped, lol.

Who here wouldnt put an gps tracking implant in their toddler to alert them when their kids fucks off somewhere?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
No thanks. I'd rather just pay attention and watch my kid. Better exercise for me that way.
One thing I do is listen to audio books while my kid is playing at the park. That way I can actually keep eyes on him and not be bored out of my mind.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

I'm looking for more of an ankle bracelet though.

I wonder if I can get an option with some kind of accelerometers so when my kid gets hit by a car it automatically calls for an ambulance, or if the hit is that hard, calls the morgue.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
No thanks. I'd rather just pay attention and watch my kid. Better exercise for me that way.
also don't bullshit me, you've got to pick one option here:
1. You don't actually take your kids to playgrounds.
2. You are a helicopter parent who follows their kid everywhere.
3. You let your kid leave your LOS and just hope nothing happens.

• 1Like

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
also don't bullshit me, you've got to pick one option here:
1. You don't actually take your kids to playgrounds.
2. You are a helicopter parent who follows their kid everywhere.
3. You let your kid leave your LOS and just hope nothing happens.
I actually do play with my son at the playground because he asks me to. Crazy he actually enjoys playing with his father. lol

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I actually do play with my son at the playground because he asks me to. Crazy he actually enjoys playing with his father. lol
I take my kid to the park / McDonalds an average about 5-6 hours a week. I generally only play with him if there's no other kids there that will play with him. I'm not judging you or anything, but I figure it's better if my kid gets a little independence and plays with other kids without me watching over his shoulder.

But I definitely want to put a parole ankle bracelet on him so I can get a jump start on re-enacting Taken.

• 1Like

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
We only do a couple hours per week at a playground. Other days we meet with an outdoor/in the woods playgroup at least once per week we go for a hike at Purgatory Chasm which is a relatively short drive for us.
I'll definitely concede your point if I took him to a playground 6 hours awake. I have a few audiobooks I'd like churn through as well.