Parent Thread

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The last thing you want is to get charged for assault on a kid man. At 10 a slap isn't going to do anything permanent. If I were you I'd ban them from your house. If your wife can't deal with it, that's her problem

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
The last thing you want is to get charged for assault on a kid man. At 10 a slap isn't going to do anything permanent. If I were you I'd ban them from your house. If your wife can't deal with it, that's her problem

Around here they don’t charge you with assault for disciplining kids. They’re more likely to toss kids in the back of a car in handcuffs just to fuck with them. And yeah I was already planning on banning them. Especially after overhearing my wife’s side of the conversation she had with her sister. All his mom did was make excuses for him.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Well, I firmly believe violence isn't the answer with kids and especially a troubled kid that might grow up.thinking he needs to do that stuff.

All that said, if he assaulted my kids I don't know how I would've dealt so I'm not judging you

• 1Like

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I don't discipline other people's kids much more than telling them to knock it off, but I will kick them and their parents out in a heartbeat (or take my family home) if there are uncontrolled little assholes.

Edit: I'm not judging either. I have a nephew I've come close to smacking a time or two.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Well, I firmly believe violence isn't the answer with kids and especially a troubled kid that might grow up.thinking he needs to do that stuff.

All that said, if he assaulted my kids I don't know how I would've dealt so I'm not judging you
Seeking 10 years for boundaries is a long long time. Finding one might actually save him from facing even more violence in the future, but probably not as the mother will tell him how mean his uncle was so he can keep snowflacking. Unfortunately a lot of parents are unable to set boundaries without resorting to violence, so you either have : a kid with no boundaries or a kid who was slapped into submission, either can end very badly.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I've had a similar situation. A close friend went through a divorce, and his son (who was nine when the divorce happened) turned into an absolute bastard jackass motherfucking jerk. I don't typically talk that way of kids, but this kid was just an asshole. I understand that he went through something pretty awful and life changing, but he was also making no effort, and both his mother and father (I stayed friends with both) tried so hard to help him. He was in therapy, his parents were remarkably civil and good to one another throughout the process and after, and he just didn't try. I know 9 and 10 year olds have to grieve and they act out, but this kid was using it as an excuse to act like a jackass.

So one day (he was ten at this point) he is being his usual typical self, bullying my youngest (who is substantially smaller than him), and saying pretty inappropriate things to my older girls. Then he intentionally slammed a door into my second youngest's face, and it connected hard enough to give my son a bloody nose. I have fucking had it with this kid. I took him by the arm, now gently or politely, but I essentially carried him at a rapid walk by his arm. It was uncomfortable, but it didn't hurt him much. He was shit scared because no one ever treated him like this. I firmly sat him down on a bench that's by our front door. Firmly. I told him if he got up from that bench he would never be welcome in our home again. I told him he was responsible for the way he acted, and I told him he was acting like a jerk. I told him people who act like jerks on purpose can't be at our house or every play with our kids.

Now, apparently coming to our house is a life highlight for this kid. He nearly shit his pants at that point. He sat quietly on that bench for an hour and a half, and then his dad took him home. The next time he was over, he was a bastard again, and I told him he was not welcome for six months at our house, and none of our kids will be calling him or spending any time with him. Six months later, he is an absolute angel at our house.

Why the hell can't parents create rules and follow through on threats? This would make such a difference for so many kids. I know my friends are feeling like they fucked their kids over with the divorce, so they don't want to be stern, or too mean, or whatever. They want to be the fun parent who hangs out with their kids. It's not helping anyone. I got lucky, and imposing massive repercussions on this kid has worked in this situation. His dad was pretty pissed with me for a while (he spends quite a bit of time here, usually with his kid), but his mom thought this was awesome.

Anyway, super wordy post to say that sometimes you have to lay down the law and follow through. I would never slap a ten year old, but I fully understand and support your reasoning for it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
I mean, you set boundaries over time to ensure that you never have to smack the kid.

I always say, accidents are okay.

Sure it's not OKAY from an adult perspective but what matters is if the kid intended to cause harm or not. If my kid INTENDS to cause harm, then buckle up buttercup.

If it wasn't intentional, my SOP is that I assess the severity...if it's bad, we would leave right then, I would explain that if you cause people harm you will be an outcast, people will dislike you and avoid you because you are angry and dangerous, then I would ask if they understood. If they answered yes, then we would go an seek resolution at a later time followed with recompense. This would mean asking for forgiveness and offering services as recompense (doing that child's chores, mowing lawns...stuff they don't want to do and the parents are okay with my kid assisting on).

I'm just glad that my kid is pretty caring so far, if other kids are hurt around him he is generally super sympathetic...HAHA...awkwardly so at times. He has given a few kids hugs at times when they got hurt (at no fault of his own) and they just look at him like "Bitch I don't know you..." makes me laugh every time i see it happen.

Seven Out

Trakanon Raider
How would you guys act if you saw another adult slap your 10 year old kid? I know I'd lose my shit, but my kids are generally well behaved so I wouldn't expect it to be any way justified I guess. I have a friend's son is overly rough with my daughter (same age). I made it clear to the dad he needed to handle it or the kid wouldn't be welcome anymore. So far, so good.

Also I've seen this story before:

• 1WTF
  • 1Worf

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
Why the hell can't parents create rules and follow through on threats? This would make such a difference for so many kids.

This. A lot of people these days are either too lazy to deal with kids in general or don't want to follow through with punishments.

I've had to put my wife in check a few times because she'll do the typical reactive go from 0-100 in no time flat. It doesn't make sense to tell a kid no, then threaten to ruin their whole weekend (I'm talking about a 5 year old). You tell them no, then if they don't abide, make a small threat you can follow through with and escalate from there.

• 1Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
You don't hit a kid on the face. Thats what they have a butt for.

10 years old isnt too old for a spanking. A spanking is more humiliating and guaranteed to cause zero damage.

That said, the parents who didnt discipline him are just as much to blame.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
If someone slapped my ten year old, I'd likely go ballistic. However, it's a whole lot more likely that I'd have taken care of the situation long before anyone else felt the need to slap my kid. THAT is the difference. It's called parenting. If your kid is being a shit, take care of it. All kids are shits from time to time, they need rules, and they need to be enforced.

• 2Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
We’ve been discussing how to eventually tell our son to be born in December about his older brother. It sucks.

We had a healthy pregnancy on the second. Just bad luck post delivery.

Either never tell him at all, or tell him as soon as he's old enough to begin understanding what death is. Definitely don't spring that information on him when he's an adult.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Either never tell him at all, or tell him as soon as he's old enough to begin understanding what death is. Definitely don't spring that information on him when he's an adult.
Yeah, I wouldn't wait until adulthood, but I would tell him.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We’ve been discussing how to eventually tell our son to be born in December about his older brother. It sucks.

We had a healthy pregnancy on the second. Just bad luck post delivery.

Wait until he’s a well adjusted adult. My girlfriend’s mom lost twins before she was born, and never ever let it go. To this day (35+ years) she gets drunk and talks about it nonstop. I had to deal with the girlfriend wanting to name our first born (regardless of gender) after one of them for years. The constant talking about it and laying flowers at the grave every year really fucked her up.

Regardless of your decision, make sure you and the wife are at peace about it.

Caeden

Wait until he’s a well adjusted adult. My girlfriend’s mom lost twins before she was born, and never ever let it go. To this day (35+ years) she gets drunk and talks about it nonstop. I had to deal with the girlfriend wanting to name our first born (regardless of gender) after one of them for years. The constant talking about it and laying flowers at the grave every year really fucked her up.

Regardless of your decision, make sure you and the wife are at peace about it.
Right now we have pictures in the typical spots. We do plan to honor his birthday each year. (Meaning we will place a small toy. We’re not much for flowers. We’ll hang out a little there. We don’t plan on taking the kid there next year.)

Eventually, when questions come up we’ll probably take a “he’s watching over you stance.” We’re firm believers in coping directly with issues and not lying per se. He doesn’t need to know details. We’re both pretty agnostic. Not atheist per se. Just not religious.

She’s still seeing a counselor. We remain active at the gym, still both work, and are making sure we do all the same things for number 2 (maternity pics, etc) that we did with the first one. We don’t want him to think we wish he’s the one that died.

If I went with the “pretend the first never existed” approach, I think I’d feel I was doing a disservice to the first child in some respects.

My guess is questions will really start about 4-7 yrs old. We’re still feeling it out. We don’t want to screw the subsequent kids up, so we’re cognizant and working through formulating responses that protects them appropriately. We’ve had some professional input on this too.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

agripa

Molten Core Raider
My kid had a bad reaction to the flu shot, giant red welt on his arm. Beats being dead from the flu though.

Caeden

Right now we have pictures in the typical spots. We do plan to honor his birthday each year. (Meaning we will place a small toy. We’re not much for flowers. We’ll hang out a little there. We don’t plan on taking the kid there next year.)

Eventually, when questions come up we’ll probably take a “he’s watching over you stance.” We’re firm believers in coping directly with issues and not lying per se. He doesn’t need to know details. We’re both pretty agnostic. Not atheist per se. Just not religious.

She’s still seeing a counselor. We remain active at the gym, still both work, and are making sure we do all the same things for number 2 (maternity pics, etc) that we did with the first one. We don’t want him to think we wish he’s the one that died.

If I went with the “pretend the first never existed” approach, I think I’d feel I was doing a disservice to the first child in some respects.

My guess is questions will really start about 4-7 yrs old. We’re still feeling it out. We don’t want to screw the subsequent kids up, so we’re cognizant and working through formulating responses that protects them appropriately. We’ve had some professional input on this too.
We ended up talking about this again last night. One thing we got advised is this needs to be some part of his (and any other kids we have) normalcy. Not that it’s dwelled on but that it’s a fact. We have discussed and been advised that waiting until the kid can point and say “who’s that” to pictures is good to do a slight introduction with the heaven/watching over/etc. we are not overboard with pictures either. Then death as a concept comes later. Details as they ask as they get older. Letting the kid’s curiousity help guide when the discussion happens and letting good judgement on how detailed that discussion gets.

Last night she brought up family pictures. That was like a cold shower. Hadn’t even thought of how that would affect her, me, etc. since the family isn’t complete. We batted around some discussion but most made us feel weird to sad, so we dropped it and watched daredevil. Discussing talking to his soon to be born little brother was enough for the night.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
If someone slapped my kid I'd probably knock their ass out and go to jail. I'm a calm person but I'd see red. Is it right to do that? Nope, but I imagine I wouldn't care in the moment.

My kids don't behave in a way that warrants a slap though

Volto!

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don’t understand the rational behind waiting until your child is an adult before talking to them about a sibling that has passed. I’d be upset if my parents waited until I was in my 20s or whatever before I found out I (would have) had a brother or sister. Why not just be honest and straight forward about it? I’d imagine that as long as the parents are coping in a healthy manner, then so too will the kid in all likelihood. Kids are tough - tougher than we often give them credit for. Just my two cents.

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
After having 3 kids and using the spanking on my oldest at times, but never much, only once on my daughter and never on my youngest...I came to the belief that spanking is a lazy form of parenting. There are better ways to establish boundaries and consequences than showing them that hitting is an acceptable answer. Those ways may take longer or take more thought but they are there and in my opinion, are more effective. Spanking is just circumventing that process and taking a lazy, easy way out, imo.

• 1Like