Parent Thread

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
So the question is : does it get better, or worse ?

Better but varies wildly by kid and how much of a consistent hardass you are. My son would make bargains pretty early (~2 years) and hold to them, but my daughter (now 4) is more like yours and will come back with "Fine then, no dessert."

while she'll easily manipulate me (like she often comes near me, hug me and 3 seconds later ask for something (TV/Chocolate/whatever is in her mind).

You may not compromise when the negotiation is over something you want, but does she get her way when she's fishing for something? If she's smart and manipulation ever works for her you're fucked.

Last edited:

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I always go with "When x then y". It's not a negotiation, I'm not changing the bargain, I'm setting conditions and if they want to get something they know they have to complete the deal. The age at which they start making the true trade-offs depends how stubborn they are. Eventually they'll figure out which deals are worth taking, but until then it's about trying to push boundaries.

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Better but varies wildly by kid and how much of a consistent hardass you are. My son would make bargains pretty early (~2 years) and hold to them, but my daughter (now 4) is more like yours and will come back with "Fine then, no dessert."

You may not compromise when the negotiation is over something you want, but does she get her way when she's fishing for something? If she's smart and manipulation ever works for her you're fucked.
She's definitely smarter than average, first one to walk/eat by herself/talk/ make full sentences at her day care even though half a dozen kids are older, and she's been good very early at getting what she wants. I fear that I'm fucked, probably mainly because it's a girl. No way a boy would be able to manipulate me like she does. She knows who's the most likely to cooperate when she needs something. I've both noticed it at home, and been told it at daycare.

Overall she's rarely unreasonable, nor a difficult kid, but I feel like I'm already at my limit when she's 2.5 y/o : I can still manoeuver her but I don't have that many more tricks left... I mean yesterday she was asking for chocolate and my wife said something like :"Play a bit with her so she forgets about chocolate" and my girl to reply "XXX not forgetting chocolate !" and she sure didn't...

Pescador

Trakanon Raider
Our oldest daughter (almost 4) is like that. It's a constant battle because everything is a means to an end for her. You just need to keep in mind that kids are selfish and it's going to manifest in different ways. The good side is that I know she's not going to be a pushover in life, but it's hard work to stay consistent about enforcing the rules when it is her life's mission right now to find a way around them.

I figure time flies fast enough so before I know it she's going to be a different person entirely. I do the best I can to set a good example and I assume it'll run off on her as she grows up.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
it's hard work to stay consistent about enforcing the rules when it is her life's mission right now to find a way around them.

My philosophy going into parenting was that it was my primary job to establish and enforce boundaries. It was fucking exhausting, but I mostly managed to never compromise on the important stuff (respect, honesty, follow-through, etc.). It's paying off in spades now. My 7 year old is a saint compared to his peers, who as far as I can tell are wild animals who have never been told "No" in their lives.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
My annual Halloween/Fall pic. Appropriating the hell out of a culture!

1571537360525.png

• 8Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Teacher: Your child plays all through stations, can you please talk to him.
Me thinking: wtf is a station
6yo: Excitedly tells me the station is this super fun game that has fish with words on them and all the students have their own words and they all try to fish out only the fish with their words and the first one to finish gets candy.
Me thinking: sounds like something that encourages playing through. Who the fuck is this teacher?

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Several months into my first kids going to college now. It has been remarkable. There has been a lot of visiting, and a lot of facetiming, and a lot of talking. Fantastic things have been happening. Let me list some, just for those who are anticipating college coming up for your kids.

1. your relationship with the kids who go to college changes. A lot. And fast. These kids had to raise their hand to use the bathroom last year, and now they're living independently. They begin to act like adult really quickly. That has an impact on their relationship with their parents. Bigly. Discussions shift to different topics, and, quite frankly, my kids' respect level for their parents has gone up a lot. They're doing something hard. Really hard. And they know that me and their mom have been through it, and now we're resources for them. It's a wonderful shift, and it's the beginning of an adult relationship with my kids. I'm incredibly proud of my twins, they're so different, they're at different schools, and they're both thriving.
2. The kids left at home bond on a whole new level. This can be hurtful to the kids who left for college when they return home for visits. The other kids continue having the fun, making the memories, spending time with the parents, taking the trips with the parents, and all that. So when the college kids come home, they feel left out. This doesn't mean they feel unloved, they're just realizing that their life as a full time, permanent part of this household is coming to an end, and there needs to be mourning that goes along with that. In the spring my wife and I are taking our twins to Barcelona for 8 days. Just the the four of us. It will be good for everyone.

Random thoughts that I hope may be helpful to some. Kids turning into adults is not an easy thing. But it is also a wonderful, rewarding thing. They are turning into the adults you helped them to become. Watch that with pride and joy.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah it’s weird that for us the nest is empty now... daughter is applying to graduate programs and took the GRE today (did well according to unofficial score) while son is a freshman at the same college and doing well. They are figuring it all out more or less... hopefully getting degrees that will justify what I’m spending right now.

Absolutely agree that watching them “adult” is just... hard to explain.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Several months into my first kids going to college now. It has been remarkable. There has been a lot of visiting, and a lot of facetiming, and a lot of talking. Fantastic things have been happening. Let me list some, just for those who are anticipating college coming up for your kids.

1. your relationship with the kids who go to college changes. A lot. And fast. These kids had to raise their hand to use the bathroom last year, and now they're living independently. They begin to act like adult really quickly. That has an impact on their relationship with their parents. Bigly. Discussions shift to different topics, and, quite frankly, my kids' respect level for their parents has gone up a lot. They're doing something hard. Really hard. And they know that me and their mom have been through it, and now we're resources for them. It's a wonderful shift, and it's the beginning of an adult relationship with my kids. I'm incredibly proud of my twins, they're so different, they're at different schools, and they're both thriving.
2. The kids left at home bond on a whole new level. This can be hurtful to the kids who left for college when they return home for visits. The other kids continue having the fun, making the memories, spending time with the parents, taking the trips with the parents, and all that. So when the college kids come home, they feel left out. This doesn't mean they feel unloved, they're just realizing that their life as a full time, permanent part of this household is coming to an end, and there needs to be mourning that goes along with that. In the spring my wife and I are taking our twins to Barcelona for 8 days. Just the the four of us. It will be good for everyone.

Random thoughts that I hope may be helpful to some. Kids turning into adults is not an easy thing. But it is also a wonderful, rewarding thing. They are turning into the adults you helped them to become. Watch that with pride and joy.
Raise your hand to go to the bathroom? I'm curious how this works, friend?

Or am I being too literal

• 1Like

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I'd have words with the administration if this were practiced at my kids gradeschool. Still growing in high school. Not sure why discipline is valued over health here. Must be some religious / boarding school stuff?

"I know teachers have the very tough job of managing a classroom on top of countless other stresses, and I know there will always be students who take advantage. But if students who claim they have to pee are in fact roaming the hallways, surely measures can be taken that are unrelated to restricting bodily functions"
On point afaik.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

iannis

Musty Nester
All a kid has to do to change that policy is whip it out and go piss in a corner. There's a type of kid that could do it and not be socially shunned.

As adults you should probably recognize that possibility and attempt to avoid it. Bladder training is fine though. But by the time they hit 6-8 years old it should already be cemented in them.

• 1Like

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The idea of being denied access to a restroom when in need is absolutely unthinkable here.

I'm surprised parents don't sue teachers and principals out of their livelyhood when their child has an accident over such a policy.

anyways. Went out to Halloween as a group of parent&child friends, this one five-year old was dressed as Darth Maul. Like literally perfect costume, a proper FBR, the makeup in the right shades of red and black, full face covered and a red light saber.

Not only was the light saber repeatedly called a "laser sword" by the trickortreaties (or what is it you call the people you harrass for a few cents worth of sweets?), he himself was called Luke Skywalker, a "Jedi Knight" and no less than four times: Darth Vader

People disgust me.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Congrats, Comrade. How many liters of vodka ago was the conception?

LOL. I found out today while visiting relatives back in the former Soviet Bloc. My wife wasn't feeling good and she took a pregnancy test and it came back positive.

We're going to wait until she gets a doctor checkup when we return to modern medicine in the States.

Looks like my concerns about my Chernobyl spiked swimmers were unfounded but we'll know for sure when we count how many fingers and toes it has when it comes out.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Izo

Tranny Chaser
LOL. I found out today while visiting relatives back in the former Soviet Bloc. My wife wasn't feeling good and she took a pregnancy test and it came back positive.

We're going to wait until she gets a doctor checkup when we return to modern medicine in the States.

Looks like my concerns about my Chernobyl spiked swimmers were unfounded but we'll know for sure when we count how many fingers and toes it has when it comes out.
That's awesome, congrats. Life will never be the same. We look forward to pics of mini-Araysar :cool: