Parent Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
So my daughter started school last month, she missed a week due to being hospitalized while we figured out her newly diagnosed diabetes.

Fast forward a month later and she's adjusting well. She's always been sort of a loner due to not being allowed to really have friends and do kids stuff like hanging out, sleepovers, and what not. Her mom was skeptical she would thrive here (no surprise) but since moving here she quickly got a circle of friends and has two of them come over multiple times a week. I think she may be trying to date one of the two girls that come over all the time, which is fine as she's a good kid.

Daughter is really happy and I follow up with her every few days regarding her schooling. She failed 8th grade due to being out sick all the time (most likely from diabetes) and missed so much school she never passed other grades with anything higher than low c's, d's, and maybe an f here or there. Today I logged into her powerschool and she is carrying a 3.1gpa with 2 A's, 3B's and a C+, She was shocked and said shes never done this well in school. We were both teary eyed over it. She's just in such a better place right now, I'm so happy for her and proud of her.

Her choir is taking a field trip to NY in March, and it's going to cost $1300. They will be fundraising some of it, but I don't make much money (social work) so I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to fund it. I may end up selling my popup camper I only use a few times a year. I hate to part with it as its one of the few times the wife and I get away is with that, but I want her to actually experience things and try to make up some lost time. Again, I dunno how, but I'll figure it out I guess. She cried when I told her, so I'm committed now. esh. lol.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I greatly dislike Seesaw, I'm glad my youngest school switched from that to Powerschool last year.
I've used both and have been greatly confused by how they are supposed to be improving on which experiences. It's like they're designed by five or six UI/IT teams who don't talk to each other and can't remember what school is actually like.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I've used both and have been greatly confused by what experience they are supposed to be improving.

Well, 2 of my kids lived in other states so this provided me a great window into their learning and education. Overall three kids through (now that all live with me) it allows me a view into their grades at all times, assignments that were late or not turned in, set up meetings with teachers and chat back and forth about concerns of questions I am having with some random thing that went on in class or about an assignment. Teachers send out weekly updates about what went on and what's coming up, and for Daughter I get IEP updates and observations weekly without needing to take the time to sit down in a meeting during a time when I am usually at work.

Basically, it gives parents a window into their student's classroom, their learning, and how they are responding to said learning which allows me to follow up with them at home to ensure they are not clueless on what they are doing and provide help when they need it.

Since the implementation of these programs, 95% of that was impossible with my kids being out of state, and a great deal of it was hard (though not impossible, but surely provided a better QoL when trying to balance it all out) to do. When utilized well, it's a great tool for both teachers and parents to use together and also, keeps parents accountable (and teachers) when things happen and one cant blame the other and not pretend they didn't know what was happening the whole time.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
My oldest daughter has never been a fan of nuts in general. Then after puking on her first day of kindergarten and then a few days later at a weekend event, the only common element we could come up with was pecans. The were in a mixed nut butter she had for lunch at school and then again in a pastry.

Blood test results came back a few days ago. For sure allergic to pecans and walnuts, a few others but much less. Picked up epi pens at the pharmacy and have a follow up with the doctor to discuss specifics of the test results.

Hopefully, the allergies don’t get any worse and all she has to worry about is vomiting all over something.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yesterday, on my way home after picking my daughter up from school(she's now a kindergartener):

Alexis(who already has like 7 fading temp tattoos on her arm): "Daddy, my friend gave me some tattoos. Can I put them on when we get home?"

Me: "Boogie, you already have too many on your arm. Maybe this weekend you can do the new ones."

Her: "But I want to put more on. They are cool."

Me: "Do you know how many tattoos your dad has? Zero. Aren't I cool?"

Her: "No."

Borat GIFs with Sound | Gfycat

• 4Solidarity
  • 3Worf
  • 2Ice Burn
Reactions: 9 users

Brad2770

Yesterday, on my way home after picking my daughter up from school(she's now a kindergartener):

Alexis(who already has like 7 fading temp tattoos on her arm): "Daddy, my friend gave me some tattoos. Can I put them on when we get home?"

Me: "Boogie, you already have too many on your arm. Maybe this weekend you can do the new ones."

Make her wear the same pants and t-shirt for a week or two. Then ask her if she still wants tattoos. That’s what I did with my kid. (It only lasted a few days though. He understood what I was getting at.)

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

Smart girl. She's way above the curve.

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
Wondering if anyone else is in my shoes. Wife is currently in her second trimester, so, we're starting to look for a pediatrician. Trouble is, it seems like the vast majority of practices are 100% adherents to the CDC schedule and will boot you out if not planning to follow to a T. I already thought the Hep B vaccine at birth was idiotic, but with the addition of Covid vaccines to the schedule, I'm out. Any way to easily find a doctor that won't pull this? All I can see so far is advice to call practices and ask vague questions to see if the doctor is open to not blindly adhering to things.

Brad2770

“This is going to hurt me more than it hurts you.”

I never knew how true that was when I was younger. I really hate punishing my kid. He’s almost 17, has a girlfriend that’s a bad influence and I mom that does not discourage him disrespecting me and being unappreciative. Since he has gotten his license, I thought I would see him more, but I see him way less. I kind of wish now he hadn’t gotten his license or me giving him a car.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
“This is going to hurt me more than it hurts you.”

I never knew how true that was when I was younger. I really hate punishing my kid. He’s almost 17, has a girlfriend that’s a bad influence and I mom that does not discourage him disrespecting me and being unappreciative. Since he has gotten his license, I thought I would see him more, but I see him way less. I kind of wish now he hadn’t gotten his license or me giving him a car.
Yeah once a kid has a car, they’re living their own life full of newfound freedom.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I wouldn't take it personally. If you were 16 how often would you have taken your car to visit your dad vs out with your girl?

• 1Like

Brad2770

This parent stuff is really getting to me lately. My son is 17. I’m realizing all the time I have missed with him because of my divorce and it has really been getting to me. Not only that, but a week and a half ago, my son totals one of my vehicles.

7E454847-9536-44CF-B6A4-436B82DFF3DE.jpeg
D45D3BCB-5F60-4388-B51B-826DDFFB1BD8.jpeg
8F86DB4E-6737-45E9-AC6A-B50F86B6A0A4.jpeg
E12342E2-E520-47E6-82B6-3F514804069E.jpeg

And I just got a call from his mom that an adult male and female assaulted him.

he works at the Gaylord in Grapevine. He was watching the entrance to one of the holiday exhibits and these two miscreants try to enter. My son intervenes and the man punched him, knocking him down and the woman kicked him in the face. On the way to the hospital now. He will need stitches and he might have a concussion.

I’m out of town for work until the 23rd and I feel helpless.

• 1Solidarity

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
This parent stuff is really getting to me lately. My son is 17. I’m realizing all the time I have missed with him because of my divorce and it has really been getting to me. Not only that, but a week and a half ago, my son totals one of my vehicles.

View attachment 446014View attachment 446015View attachment 446016View attachment 446018

he works at the Gaylord in Grapevine. He was watching the entrance to one of the holiday exhibits and these two miscreants try to enter. My son intervenes and the man punched him, knocking him down and the woman kicked him in the face. On the way to the hospital now. He will need stitches and he might have a concussion.

Man, I'm so sorry. I can't imagine. And being away has to feel just rotten.

But you'll get home, and you'll deal with this. Strangely, it might even improve your relationship with him if everything goes right.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

View attachment 446014View attachment 446015View attachment 446016View attachment 446018

Just keep in mind there really isn’t anything you could have done about either situation. He totaled the car, you being around wouldn’t change that. He got assaulted at work, you being there won’t change that. You wouldn’t be able to help either situation. He’s young and *should* learn from both events. That’s the most you can hope for here. He’s growing up and unfortunately that consists of shitty experiences.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Just keep in mind there really isn’t anything you could have done about either situation. He totaled the car, you being around wouldn’t change that. He got assaulted at work, you being there won’t change that. You wouldn’t be able to help either situation. He’s young and *should* learn from both events. That’s the most you can hope for here. He’s growing up and unfortunately that consists of shitty experiences.
And it seems like both events could have been much worse, gratitude/perspective and all that. Regardless, a shitty couple of weeks.

Brad2770

And it seems like both events could have been much worse, gratitude/perspective and all that. Regardless, a shitty couple of weeks.
Yeah, so it was 3 Hispanics that assaulted my son, two specifically doing damage and one just touching him. I found out this morning that sone people had a gun pulled on them by a group of Hispanics in the parking garage after my son was assaulted.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Wondering if anyone else is in my shoes. Wife is currently in her second trimester, so, we're starting to look for a pediatrician. Trouble is, it seems like the vast majority of practices are 100% adherents to the CDC schedule and will boot you out if not planning to follow to a T. I already thought the Hep B vaccine at birth was idiotic, but with the addition of Covid vaccines to the schedule, I'm out. Any way to easily find a doctor that won't pull this? All I can see so far is advice to call practices and ask vague questions to see if the doctor is open to not blindly adhering to things.

Pediatricians are one of the most liberal groups of MDs (up there with infectious disease and psychiatry), so it's going to be an uphill battle.

• You will likely have better luck if you can find a pediatrician at a "standalone" / independent group practice (i.e. one that is not affiliated with a major hospital/health system). Major health systems typically give doctors performance metrics that they want them to follow - vaccine compliance is usually one for pediatricians.
  • You will also have more leverage if you pay with cash rather than going through insurance, because we (insurance companies) pull claim data from doctors and rate them on adherence to standard of care (similar to hospitals), and doctors don't want to get "dinged" by having a patient refuse a shot (self-pay patients would not get submitted to the insurance company).
  • If you like your doctor and they are family practice/general practice, they will usually see kids even if it isn't strictly their specialty. Internists typically will not.
  • The American College of Pediatricians is a conservative answer to the American Academy of Pediatrics; they have a contact form on their website that allows you to get matched with a pediatrician. I am not a fan of their stances on adoption and conversion therapy, but nobody is perfect.
  • If all else fails, you always have the right to refuse and risk getting booted, but there are always other doctors that you may potentially be able to go to.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Izo

Tranny Chaser

the simpsons paddle GIF